What's new

Indian backpacker in Vietnam vlogs

Nilgiri

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Stumbled across this, Vietnam looks like a great, fascinating place to visit....it is on my bucket list for sure!

If my Viet friends on this forum could tell me if there are any corrections/suggestions/random comments they have for this vlog that would be great...

I always found selfie-stick people annoying....but now I see the point (somewhat!)

Viets seem to be overall really friendly people to strange brown foreigners. Good to see!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAPWC0yyoTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBdF1O7gMp0

@Viet @Carlosa @xiao qi @BoQ77 @vtnsx @Silent Knight @waz @Bilal9 @Levina

@Gibbs @Godman

Last edited:
Stumbled across this, Vietnam looks like a great, fascinating place to visit....it is on my bucket list for sure!

If my Viet friends on this forum could tell me if there are any corrections/suggestions/random comments they have for this vlog that would be great...

I always found selfie-stick people annoying....but now I see the point (somewhat!)

Viets seem to be overall really friendly people to strange brown foreigners. Good to see!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAPWC0yyoTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBdF1O7gMp0

@Viet @Carlosa @xiao qi @BoQ77 @vtnsx @Silent Knight @waz @Bilal9 @Levina

@Gibbs @Godman

Nice thread. Yes, most people in Vietnam are friendly and accommodating to foreign tourists, particularly in the smaller cities and villages. Its typical for people and children to say hello to you and to try to start a conversation or to get invited to some coffee or food by people in coffee shops and restaurants.

There are black sheep also, tricky people, particularly taxi drivers and tour agencies / tour guides (they'll sell you one thing, but give one of a lesser value).

Try to use the green taxis, that's the best company and they have better control of the drivers.

Crossing a busy street in the big cities can be a hazard, keep in mind that most drivers in Vietnam feel that they have the priority and expect that you'll get out of their way. If crossing a very busy street, try to walk next to a Vietnamese. When crossing the street is very important not to do unexpected, sudden moves. The driver will calculate what you are doing, but if you move in an unexpected way, then you put yourself at risk.

Also, when crossing the street, be very mindful of the motorcycles that are TURNING into that street, I feel those are the most dangerous, you can be crossing on a green light, which means that you have the priority, but drivers may just turn onto the street and act like if you and the green light don't exist at all.

When taking buses for long distance travel, use the sleeper busses, they are really good, but ALWAYS USE A HIGH QUALITY BUS COMPANY such as Sinh Cafe, FUTA, etc.

In the big cities, particularly in HCMC, be careful with your phone / hand bag. Guys in a motorcycle can pass right next to you and snatch it.

Do not deal with the shoeshine boys at all (particularly in HCMC and Hanoi), sometimes they come and start to clean your shoes even if you didn't agree or say anything; in that case, stop them and refuse. They will try to extort you for a lot of money afterwards.

In some tourist areas in the big cities, street sellers may come to you and push you to buy something, don't give in to them, you don't have to buy, don't believe their stories, but if you buy something, better bargain hard because almost for sure they are overcharging you big time.

In most shops for souvenirs / gifts etc, you are expected to bargain. Don't believe anything they tell you, like: this is from America, this is very high quality, etc. They'll say anything to make a sale.

When checking in in a small hotel, make sure about the price in writing, get a slip of the room rate, make sure about what you are supposed to get so that there is no surprises at the time of checking out,

Renting a regular scooter motorcycle should run between 100,000 and 150,000 vnd per day / $5 to $7 usd (less if weekly rate). 1 to 1.5 million vnd per monthly rate $45 to $70).
i would not advise to drive in HCMC or Hanoi due to intense traffic. Other cities are ok.

Beware of cheap coffee in the small places / street coffee shops. The coffee is often mixed with soybeans, colorants, etc. Its actually partial or fully fake coffee, you will not feel the effect of caffeine because it has none.

Try the blended shake drinks, Its a Vietnamese specialty. The name is Sinh To, Sinh To Bo is avocado shake, a great one. They have them for many fruits. You'll see the sign in many places.

Nuoc is juice, Nuoc Ep is fresh juice.

Beer is Bia, many brands such as Saigon bia, Hanoi bia, Tiger bia, Bia La Rue, etc. Very cheap, from 45 cents usd and up.

I'll think of more things and post later.

Edited: I'll keep coming back to add more things.

Last edited:
Nice thread. Yes, most people in Vietnam are friendly and accommodating to foreign tourists, particularly in the smaller cities and villages. Its typical for people and children to say hello to you and to try to start a conversation or to get invited to some coffee or food by people in coffee shops and restaurants.

There are black sheep also, tricky people, particularly taxi drivers and tour agencies / tour guides (they'll sell you one thing, but give one of a lesser value).

Try to use the green taxis, that's the best company and they have better control of the drivers.

Crossing a busy street in the big cities can be a hazard, keep in mind that most drivers in Vietnam feel that they have the priority and expect that you'll get out of their way. If crossing a very busy street, try to walk next to a Vietnamese. When crossing the street is very important not to do unexpected, sudden moves. The driver will calculate what you are doing, but if you move in an unexpected way, then you put yourself at risk.

When taking buses for long distance travel, use the sleeper busses, they are really good, but ALWAYS USE A HIGH QUALITY BUS COMPANY such as Sinh Cafe, FUTA, etc.

In the big cities, particularly in HCMC, be careful with your phone / hand bag. Guys in a motorcycle can pass right next to you and snatch it.

In some tourist areas in the big cities, street sellers may come to you and push you to buy something, don't give in to them, you don't have to buy, don't believe their stories, but if you buy something, better bargain hard because almost for sure they are overcharging you big time.

Doesn't seem much different from what I had to be careful of when I was in KL many times hehe.

Vietnam seems to be a SEA version of India in traffic from what you describe....probably better though hehe. Yes it pays to be careful and have some common sense.

Pho is so yummmy!

Doesn't seem much different from what I had to be careful of when I was in KL many times hehe.

Vietnam seems to be a SEA version of India in traffic from what you describe....probably better though hehe. Yes it pays to be careful and have some common sense.

Pho is so yummmy!

I keep adding to my post so please revisit the post.

Pho is so yummmy!

If you think Pho is yummy, come to Danang and try My Quang...........

Renting a regular scooter motorcycle should run between 100,000 and 150,000 vnd per day / $5 to $7 usd (less if weekly rate). 1 to 1.5 million vnd per monthly rate $45 to $70).

Yes I read about cheap and effective this is and saw some other videos of tourists. I think I will use more maybe for more country travelling rather than inside the city. Asian cities are a nightmare for me to drive...be it 2 wheels or 4 :P

Pho is so yummmy!

Here is a My Quang song video filmed by some expats living in Danang:
Note: It can be spelled Mi or My Quang, there are lots of places with each spelling.

Yes I read about cheap and effective this is and saw some other videos of tourists. I think I will use more maybe for more country travelling rather than inside the city. Asian cities are a nightmare for me to drive...be it 2 wheels or 4 :P

i would not advise to drive in HCMC or Hanoi. Other cities are ok.

Last edited:
Here is a My Quang song video filmed by some expats living in Danang:
Note: It can be spelled Mi or My Quang, there are lots of places with each spelling.

i would not advise to drive in HCMC or Hanoi. Other cities are ok.

How big is the expat community in DaNang?

How big is the expat community in DaNang?

Don't know in terms of numbers, but there are many expats now. Keep in mind that Hoi An is just 25 km from Danang and they had a large expat community there for many years, so the 2 together have quite a lot now. In Danang foreigners started to come in large numbers in the last 3 or 4 years (including myself).

Also, when crossing the street, be very mindful of the motorcycles that are TURNING into that street, I feel those are the most dangerous, you can be crossing on a green light, which means that you have the priority, but drivers may just turn onto the street and act like if you and the green light don't exist at all.

In most shops for souvenirs / gifts etc, you are expected to bargain. Don't believe anything they tell you, like: this is from America, this is very high quality, etc. They'll say anything to make a sale.

When checking in in a small hotel, make sure about the price in writing, get a slip of the room rate, make sure about what you are supposed to get so that there is no surprises at the time of checking out,

i would not advise to drive in HCMC or Hanoi due to intense traffic. Other cities are ok.

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/indian-backpacker-in-vietnam-vlogs.446092/#ixzz4IPhnM2X5

Edited: I'll keep coming back to add more things.

Carlosa, do you think Indian people would react as Western guys in Vietnam?
Indian would make himself at home during the trip in Vietnam.

Carlosa, do you think Indian people would react as Western guys in Vietnam?
Indian would make himself at home during the trip in Vietnam.

Indians should have no problems at all in Vietnam. Vietnam is actually much easier for them than for typical westerners.

Indians should have no problems at all in Vietnam.

Yeah. When I suggested my Indian partners that there're some Indian restaurants here, he rejected and stated He want to try Vietnamese foods.

Beside Pho, Korean ppl always need the same foods as they are at home. And the language issues. Korean speak a little of English.
So for the Korean community in Vietnam, the foods must be Korean style, and interpreters needed.

I feel like I'm at home when travel to ASEAN countries.

It's more difficult to visit Korea, Japan, China... because they don't speak English

Back
Top Bottom