What's new

Indian AWACS thread

Hey guys, whats that engine like thing under the belly? Intake and exhaust are visible, but that surely isn't an engine, is it?

There is option for three more and I have read India is going to exercise it before the third comes.

Correct me if I am wrong, the first Phalcon is also based in Agra. This one too would be based in Agra. Most fighter jets are based in Agra,
WHY?

Correct me if I am wrong, the first Phalcon is also based in Agra. This one too would be based in Agra. Most fighter jets are based in Agra,
WHY?

Simple Agra is more or less middle of china/pakistan border and they have developed underground foolproof(as much as can be) parking with a lot of investment.

Agra is quit close to Pakistan border(relative to falcon's range) so even if it just goes to fly till amritsar, we would be able to see what is happening in Pakistan till FATA.Just think,even if they move soldiers to east , we would be able to track it.We have a satellite to do so as well.

Well alright. But should we not also start developing areas on our borders for this type of developments.

Well alright. But should we not also start developing areas on our borders for this type of developments.

We are already so but on the indian side mountains are more treacherous so will finish phase 1 by 2013. Meanwhile heavy lift capability by air is also being bolstered and refurbished.Also spanking new patrol crafts are in mansarover lake.

WHY?

i think this is because in 1971.. when pakistan attacked india for the first time their 50 aircrafts headed towards Agra...
they even attacked Taj Mahal.. It was a great lose to India..
as we dont want to lose this wonder at any cost
hence these kinds of defensive things are centrally placed in agra...:)

i think this is because in 1971.. when pakistan attacked india for the first time their 50 aircrafts headed towards Agra...

Are you serious??? You gotta be kidding right :azn:

anyway, to answer the question why Agra for our AWACS, two reasons come to me

1. Agra base is under central command and an AWACS taking off from Agra gets Pakistan airspace under its coverage within minutes.
2. And, its the home base for ilyushin-76.. the platform that carries the little thingy on top that we proudly call AWACS.

Are you serious??? You gotta be kidding right :azn:

anyway, to answer the question why Agra for our AWACS, two reasons come to me

1. Agra base is under central command and an AWACS taking off from Agra gets Pakistan airspace under its coverage within minutes.
2. And, its the home base for ilyushin-76.. the platform that carries the little thingy on top that we proudly call AWACS.

here is the proof of my saying.....consider following passage from wikipedia...

On the evening of 3 December Sunday, at about 5:40 PM,[19] the Pakistani air force launched a pre-emptive strike on eleven airfields in north-western India, including Agra which was 300 miles (480 km) from the border. During this attack the Taj Mahal was camouflaged with a forest of twigs and leaves and draped with burlap because its marble glowed like a white beacon in the moonlight.[20]

This preemptive strike known as Operation Chengiz Khan, was inspired by the success of Israeli Operation Focus in the Arab-Israeli Six Day War. But, unlike the Israeli attack on Arab airbases in 1967 which involved a large number of Israeli planes, Pakistan flew no more than 50 planes to India and failed inflict the intended damage.[21] As a result, Indian runways were cratered and rendered non-functional for several hours after the attack.[22]

In an address to the nation on radio that same evening, Prime Minister Gandhi held the air strikes as a declaration of war against India[23][24] and the Indian Air Force responded with initial air strikes that very night that were expanded to massive retaliatory airstrikes the next morning.[25]

Indo-Pakistani War of 1971 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the evening of 3 December Sunday, at about 5:40 PM,[19] the Pakistani air force launched a pre-emptive strike on eleven airfields in north-western India, including Agra which was 300 miles (480 km) from the border. During this attack the Taj Mahal was camouflaged with a forest of twigs and leaves and draped with burlap because its marble glowed like a white beacon in the moonlight.[20]

This preemptive strike known as Operation Chengiz Khan, was inspired by the success of Israeli Operation Focus in the Arab-Israeli Six Day War. But, unlike the Israeli attack on Arab airbases in 1967 which involved a large number of Israeli planes, Pakistan flew no more than 50 planes to India and failed inflict the intended damage.[21] As a result, Indian runways were cratered and rendered non-functional for several hours after the attack.[22]

In an address to the nation on radio that same evening, Prime Minister Gandhi held the air strikes as a declaration of war against India[23][24] and the Indian Air Force responded with initial air strikes that very night that were expanded to massive retaliatory airstrikes the next morning.[25]

hmm.... very interesting.. never thought about it:)

It doesn't means that the attack was on Taj. In those days, lights gave the target/city etc location. That's why there used to blackout. A glowing Taj mahal would indicate the location of Agra, and relevent targets nearby.

It doesn't means that the attack was on Taj. In those days, lights gave the target/city etc location. That's why there used to blackout. A glowing Taj mahal would indicate the location of Agra, and relevent targets nearby.

yes may be you r true....
but that was my opinion.... as i already added 'i think' before my post..:cheers:

hahaha, why will Pakistan attack Taj Mahal ? Are they that jealous ? lol.

Agra is a strategic location and AWACS can cover both East and West from there. Plus they probably have the most secure air bases there. As for Taj Mahal, a few Akash systems will do the job and add swank to the monument.

hahaha, why will Pakistan attack Taj Mahal ? Are they that jealous ? lol.

Agra is a strategic location and AWACS can cover both East and West from there. Plus they probably have the most secure air bases there. As for Taj Mahal, a few Akash systems will do the job and add swank to the monument.

thats not a specific reason then why it will be only agra.... it can be delhi..or ghaziabad...both the places are just near agra even ghaziabad has hindon air force station too..:azn:

Back
Top Bottom