What's new

Indian army to upgrade infantry weapons (New Assault Rifle)

I agree, for me the Cska and ARX160 are the two I'd like to see the most win. But for me my number 1 choice would be the ARX160 and the Ceska number 2 option.

ARX160 too comes in both calibre- in fact all the rifles in the fray do that is mandatory for the IA.

And apprently if the IA makes a larger enough order (which is a given obviously) CESKA will add the 6.8mm calibre to the BREN.

I, would make a careful guess that IA may NOT opt for a 7.62mm and would stick to 5.56MM because it can utilize millions of rounds already produced which would have to be replaced otherwise. As for 6.8MM, it may be selected for the SOF but wont be fielded as a battle rifle round.

I, would make a careful guess that IA may NOT opt for a 7.62mm and would stick to 5.56MM because it can utilize millions of rounds already produced which would have to be replaced otherwise. As for 6.8MM, it may be selected for the SOF but wont be fielded as a battle rifle round.

Mate the idea is the IA will adopt a single multi-calibre rifle that can fire the 5.56mm,7.62mm and maybe the 6.8mm. The IA's has said that all personal in JK and NE will be using the 7.62mm barrel but once the personal are rotated out and return to a regular more conventional setting they will convert their weapons back to 5.56mm. I don't know how the 6.8mm falls into this but it was a requiremtn the IA called for in its RFP and this has nothing to do with SOFs-they have their own rifles and have a separate procurement budget completely removed from the regular infantry so they don't factor in this procurement at all.

CZ-805 BREN, comes in 5.56MM and 7.62MM NATO.

It must be a serious contender.

Beretta ARX160 has some maintenance and reliability issues like the M4.
I've looked into it and it seems the clouds over the BERTTA have been lifted. The issues are all pretty much resolved, if selected it will be a great weapon for the IA.

Mate the idea is the IA will adopt a single multi-calibre rifle that can fire the 5.56mm,7.62mm and maybe the 6.8mm. The IA's has said that all personal in JK and NE will be using the 7.62mm barrel but once the personal are rotated out and return to a regular more conventional setting they will convert their weapons back to 5.56mm. I don't know how the 6.8mm falls into this but it was a requiremtn the IA called for in its RFP and this has nothing to do with SOFs-they have their own rifles and have a separate procurement budget completely removed from the regular infantry so they don't factor in this procurement at all.

Was the tavor just bought to fill in the gap for a bit?

No reliable ADAPTABLE platform still exists in battle rifle numbers service in any army so far. Caliber adaptability is a good idea but would take time to mature. You would have noticed, that FN-SCAR is only in limited service with SOF around many NATO countries. For a battle rifle, you need reliability and a hard hitting round, ease of maintenance and cost effectiveness.

Was the tavor just bought to fill in the gap for a bit?

Assault rifles are not lollypops which can be "switched" when another one runs out or you don't like the flavor. Fielding and replacing a battle rifle is easier said than done, its not about buying a bunch of rifles hand them to soldiers and patting them on the back. Over time, war tactics evolve with the battle rifle being used, soldiers develop a muscle memory with the weapon, not just with using it but also disassembly, reassembly and maintenance. Now multiply that over the number of units in the Army and see how big of a exercise it becomes when including the fact that all of that has to be re-done again and soldiers would have to adapt to that new weapon with same effectiveness and familiarity they had with the one before. And after doing all this, soldiers may or may not like the weapon with which they would have to go to war for next 30 years or so.

Assault rifles are not lollypops which can be "switched" when another one runs out or you don't like the flavor. Fielding and replacing a battle rifle is easier said than done, its not about buying a bunch of rifles hand them to soldiers and patting them on the back. Over time, war tactics evolve with the battle rifle being used, soldiers develop a muscle memory with the weapon, not just with using it but also disassembly, reassembly and maintenance. Now multiply that over the number of units in the Army and see how big of a exercise it becomes when including the fact that all of that has to be re-done again and soldiers would have to adapt to that new weapon with same effectiveness and familiarity they had with the one before. And after doing all this, soldiers may or may not like the weapon with which they would have to go to war for next 30 years or so.

No one said it was easy but it has to be done, no? The IA is looking for its next gen rifle which will serve it for the next 20 years. The IA osnt prepared to wait a few years it is looking to induct a multi-calibre rifle very soon and there are pros it's out there fitting the bill. The rifle will start being inducted by early 2014.

No one said it was easy but it has to be done, no? The IA is looking for its next gen rifle which will serve it for the next 20 years. The IA osnt prepared to wait a few years it is looking to induct a multi-calibre rifle very soon and there are pros it's out there fitting the bill. The rifle will start being inducted by early 2014.

I, was giving an opinion of someone who knows a thing or two about muscle memory on weapons :D

I, was giving an opinion of someone who knows a thing or two about muscle memory on weapons :D

Muscle memory can be built up again on a new rifle. But I don't know what you're getting at- are you saying the IA or any army for that matter shouldn't induct new rifles? With muscle memory in mind sure the IA's plan for multi-calibre rifles is a good solution as it means one rifle system is replacing two types of rifle currently in service meaning a soldier only has to ever operate one rifle.

Muscle memory can be built up again on a new rifle. But I don't know what you're getting at- are you saying the IA or any army for that matter shouldn't induct new rifles? With muscle memory in mind sure the IA's plan for multi-calibre rifles is a good solution as it means one rifle system is replacing two types of rifle currently in service meaning a soldier only has to ever operate one rifle.

I, think i made my case clear in my previous posts that it is a painstaking job to replace a battle rifle as opposed to what many of our new posters and some old ones believe.

I, think i made my case clear in my previous posts that it is a painstaking job to replace a battle rifle as opposed to what many of our new posters and some old ones believe.

Fair enough. Of course, just like any large induction, procuring new rifles isn't an easy task but needs must, the IA is seeking to transform itself into a modern fighting force with the F-INSAS project and a new rifle is part of it.

I'd still put my faith in the granddaddy of all weapons in its new avatar:

800px-AK-12_Engineering_technologies_international_forum_-_2012_01.jpg

Simply because it is:

- Strong

- Lethal

- Durable

- Much more accurate (than other AK variants)

- Familiar

- Requires minimal maintenance

- Dependable even when shyte hits the fan.

So sad to see we going for fancy looking rifles at such high prices when AK is already a weapon of choice by troops in our troubled zones.

AK-12 is the latest variant of the series and still retains the ever-dependable qualities of what makes Kalashnikov the best of the best.

I'd still put my faith in the granddaddy of all weapons in its new avatar:

800px-AK-12_Engineering_technologies_international_forum_-_2012_01.jpg

Simply because it is:

- Strong

- Lethal

- Durable

- Much more accurate (than other AK variants)

- Familiar

- Requires minimal maintenance

- Dependable even when shyte hits the fan.

So sad to see we going for fancy looking rifles at such high prices when AK is already a weapon of choice by troops in our troubled zones.

AK-12 is the latest variant of the series and still retains the ever-dependable qualities of what makes Kalashnikov the best of the best.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom