What's new

Indian Army News & Discussions

Meanwhile, I want to share a old memory from the scratch of IA's past.

enjoy guys...

21272510_1989966711292508_5933279488961894870_n.jpg

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu inspecting the Guard of Honour at Raj Bhavan, in Ranchi, Jharkahand on September 08, 2017. The Governor of Jharkhand, Smt. Droupadi Murmu is also seen.
s20170908113245.jpg

New Delhi, September 08, 2017 15:20 IST
Updated: September 08, 2017 15:24 IST

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...tary-police/article19643863.ece?homepage=true

The Army has finalised a plan to induct women in the military police, a senior officer said on Friday.

The plan — being seen as a major step towards breaking gender barriers in the force — is to induct approximately 800 women in military police with a yearly intake of 52 personnel per year, Adjuntant General of the Army Lt. Gen. Ashwani Kumar told reporters.

In an interview to PTI in June, Army Chief Gen. Bipin Rawat had said the Army was looking at inducting women jawans and the process would start with the induction of women into military police corps.

Lt. Gen. Kumar said the decision to induct women in Corps of Military Police would help in investigating allegations of gender specific crimes.

Currently, women are allowed in select areas such as medical, legal, educational, signals and engineering wings of the Army.

The role of the military police includes policing cantonments and army establishments, preventing breach of rules and regulations by soldiers, maintaining movement of soldiers as well as logistics during peace and war, handling prisoners of war and extending aid to civil police whenever required.

http://zeenews.india.com/india/govt-approves-armys-cadre-review-policy-2040739.html

New Delhi: The government has approved a long-awaited cadre review policy for Junior Commissioned Officers and other rank-holders in the Army, a step which will offer higher career progression to nearly 1.45 lakh personnel of the force, a senior Army official said on Friday.

Adjutant General of the Army Lieutenant General Ashwani Kumar said the upgradation would take place over a span of five years.

"The third cadre review has been approved by the government on September 1. This is for upgradation of JCOs and Other Ranks," he said.

The decision was conveyed to former Army chiefs by incumbent General Bipin Rawat at the biennial Chiefs' Conclave where they were also apprised about overall security challenges facing the country, including on the borders with China and Pakistan.

Kumar told the Chiefs' Conclave that the defence ministry has agreed to start residential Army Public Schools in Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh and Mamun in Punjab with a capacity of 2,000 children each.

This, he said, would cater to the growing needs of children of army personnel of all ranks. As of now, the Army Welfare Educational Society (AWES) is managing 137 schools and 11 professional colleges.

Lt. General Kumar also informed the Chiefs' Conclave that two more state-of-the-art assisted reproductive technology (ART) centres have been established in Bhopal and Guwahati to assist childless couple in the Army.

These centres are in addition to the existing ones in Delhi, Pune and Mumbai.

After the amendment in electoral rules in October, 2016, which permitted electronic transfer of postal ballots, the Army has in a big way undertaken measures for electronic registration of Army personnel, the officer said.

He said there were instances of postal ballots reaching the returning officers after completion of the election process, but the electronic transfer of postal ballots would reduce this time to half.

He added that the electronic transfer of postal ballots were used in five states that went to polls early this year. Of the 12 lakh personnel, over 10 lakh personnel have been registered for this.

Lt. Gen. Kumar also appraised the Chiefs' Conclave about the formation of the Army Welfare Fund Battle Casualty to help the next of the kin and disabled veterans, and the first tranche of disbursement of Rs 3.24 crore was done in July this year.

The Army Welfare Housing Organisation, from being a construction agency, is also acting as a facilitator to all ranks in negotiating bulk requirements of dwelling units already constructed by reputed builders, he added.

An uneasy calm descended on the 700-acre complex as deployment began at 6.30 a.m. An estimated 5,000 policemen and 41 companies of the Army and paramilitary forces were part of the operation. Bulldozers, earthmoverss, trucks and heavy equipment could be seen moving to Satlokpur Dham.

The search was monitored and videographed by retired district and sessions judge A.K.S. Panwar, the court commissioner appointed for the purpose by the Punjab and Haryana High Court.

The Dera complex was divided into 10 zones for the purpose of sanitisation and searches, with each zone under the control of a senior officer.

A senior government official said the sanitisation process led to the recovery of an unregistered Lexus car, the OB van of a news channel, 1,500 shoes and 3,000 designer outfits belonging to Gurmeet Singh.

TH09DERA

“Illegal explosives factory inside Dera Sacha Sauda premises sealed. Explosives and fire crackers were seized,” Mehra said. Later on in the day, Mehra said that a window-like path leading from Dera Awas to Sadhvi Niwas was found inside the complex. “We found a window-like path leading from Dera Awas to Sadhvi Niwas. Team is investigating the same,” he said.

Security forces stand guard at the main entrance to the Dera Sacha Sauda headquarters, in Sirsa district of Haryana on Friday (PTI Photo)
dera_search_sirsa_759.jpg

Licensed weapons deposited by followers of Sirsa headquartered of Dera Sacha Sauda at Sadar police station in Sirsa on Monday. (PTI Photo)
sirsa_weapons_759.jpg

There were reports even AK 47's and 112 oil Canisters were seized by the Indian Security Forces .

Border regions smuggling is really a big problem .

DERASACHA

Security jawans near the Dera Sacha Sauda on the second day of the search operations inside the Dera headquarters in Sirsa on Saturday. | Photo Credit: PTI

Ministry of Defence
09-September, 2017 17:50 IST
Successful Flight Test of 3rd Generation Anti Tank Guided Missile – NAG

India’s indigenously developed 3rd generation Anti Tank Guided Missile (ATGM), Nag has been successfully flight tested twice by DRDO on 8-9-2017 against two different targets in the ranges of Rajasthan.

The ATGM Nag missile has successfully hit both the targets under different ranges and conditions with very high accuracy as desired by the Armed Forces.

With these two successful flight trials, and the flight test conducted earlier in June in the peak of summer, the complete functionality of Nag ATGM along with launcher system NAMICA has been established and marked the successful completion of development trials of Nag Missile.

618xNx632286_thump.jpg.pagespeed.ic.qNH7i7L8jL.jpg

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/632286/drdo-carries-successful-tests-nag.html
India's indigenously developed third generation anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) Nag has been successfully flight-tested by premier defence research organisation DRDO in deserts of Rajasthan, marking the completion of development trials.

The defence ministry said Nag has been successfully flight-tested twice by the DRDO against two different targets yesterday in Rajasthan. The missile can hit a target up to seven km.

"The ATGM Nag missile has successfully hit both the targets under different ranges and conditions with very high accuracy as desired by the armed forces," the ministry said.

India has been trying to ramp up its military capability in sync changing security dynamics in the region. The defence ministry said yesterday's flight tests and the trials in June marked the successful completion of development trials of Nag missile.

"With these two successful flight trials, and the flight test conducted earlier in June in the peak of summer, the complete functionality of Nag ATGM along with launcher system NAMICA has been established and marked the successful completion of development trials of Nag missile," it said.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...in-new-life/story-16FzbvmEV6hsXCmFvEcZYO.html
Widows of two soldiers who died in the line of duty, turned a new leaf in their lives by becoming officers themselves.
Updated: Sep 09, 2017 21:06 IST

Hindustan Times, New Delhi
_cddabe66-9572-11e7-b219-301a51d93d0d.jpg

Lieutenant Swati Madhok and Lieutenant Nidhi Dubey, widows of martyrs who became officers themselves on Saturday.(HT PHOTO)

Three hundred and twenty-two cadets passed out of Chennai-based Officers’ Training Academy as new lieutenants on Saturday. But two of them were extra special.

What sets Lieutenants Swati Mahadik and Nidhi Dubey apart is that they are widows of soldiers who died on duty. Swati lost her husband, Colonel Santosh Mahadik, in an anti-terror operation in Kashmir in 2015. Nidhi’s husband, Naik Mukesh Kumar Dubey, died in service in 2008.

Colonel Mahadik was posthumously awarded the Shaurya Chakra – India’s third-highest peacetime gallantry award - for spectacular bravery that saved the lives of several men under his charge.

“It’s a mixed feeling. I wish I could go back to my old life with Santosh around. But that’s not possible. So I tell myself donning the uniform is the easiest way for me to be close to him,” Swati told HT from Chennai.

The first thing she did after the passing out parade was to take her children, Kartikee (12) and Swaraj (7), out for a meal. “I wanted to spend time with the kids. They said I reminded them of their father in the uniform,” said the 38-year-old.

Nidhi Dubey is 32. Cadets join the academy in the 20 to 25 age group, but rules are relaxed for army widows.

Lieutenant Dubey’s brother, Neelesh Mishra, hoped his sister would inspire army widows who think life is over for them after losing their husbands.

“Look at Nidhi, she’s an officer now. For us, nothing can be more inspiring,” Mishra said.

An exhaustive account of Colonel Mahadik’s courage has been documented in India’s Most Fearless, an upcoming book from Penguin authored by this correspondent and news website Livefist editor-in-chief Shiv Aroor.

In the book, Major Pravin Kumar, who was part of the operation with Colonel Mahadik, reveals details of the mission hitherto unknown.

“While Col Mahadik was being airlifted to Srinagar, I received a call from his wife. She had already heard,” remembers Major Kumar, then adjutant at 41 Rashtriya Rifles headquarters. “Her question still haunts me: ‘Zinda rahenge ya nahi rahenge? Bas itna bata do’ (Will he live or not? Just tell me that).”

“She called again a short while later. This time, she asked me how many rounds had hit her husband. I mustered my strength to inform her that he had taken 7 bullets. She hung up the phone.”

“The 40-km runs can be very difficult. I couldn’t cope with the training initially. But then I would think of Santosh’s sacrifice and get inspired, and my course-mates were very supportive too,” said Swati, recalling how a buddy lady cadet would massage her feet after cross-country runs.

_530bc454-9573-11e7-b219-301a51d93d0d.jpg

Lieutenant Swati Madhok with her two children. (HT PHOTO)

10THDERA-EXPLOSIVE

the 700-acre Satlokpur Dham, which commenced around 7 a.m., also revealed empty cartons used to store ammunition magazines for AK-47 assault rifles, according to multiple sources.

“The cracker factory bore a sign board denoting it as a ‘Cattle Care Centre’ but it turned out to be a cracker factory where 84 boxes of explosive material were found. The facility has been sealed and a case under relevant sections of the Explosives Act has been registered against its owner, who is yet to be identified,” Satish Mehra, Deputy Director of the Haryana Information and PR department, told The Hindu. Mr. Mehra added that two access corridors or tunnels connecting Singh’s cave to the residential quarters of his female disciples or sadhvis, were also unearthed.

The Special Investigation Team probing the incident has also arrested two other accused, Karamjeet Singh and Daan Singh, also facing charges for their alleged role in hatching a conspiracy to free Gurmeet Singh from the Panchkula court complex and inciting violence.

Haryana’s Panchkula witnessed widespread deadly violence by Dera followers after Gurmeet Singh’s conviction, leaving 35 people dead and over 250 injured. Six people died in Sirsa.

10THMISSING

Azad Singh, a 71-year-old retired driver, has been going from corner to corner at the Satnam Singh Ji Chowk carrying a picture of his missing son, Amit, seeking information on his whereabouts.

Amit was an occasional visitor, who accompanied his mother every now and then to the Satlokour Dham. He had been missing for over a year, his father said. “He went for a satsang at the Dera with his mother in June, 2016 and has been missing since then; many things are being recovered from there...I wish my son, too, is [found],” he said.

A total of 322 officer cadets got commissioned into the Army. This comprised 266 gentleman cadets and 31 lady cadets. Also, 25 cadets from Bhutan, Maldives, Fiji and Afghanistan will return to their contingents.

For over 52 years now, Officers Training Academy (OTA) has been one of Chennai’s best-kept secrets. Established in 1963 to train officers for Emergency Commission in the Army, it now trains those between 22 and 25 years for the Short Service Commission. It is also the only Academy, among the country’s four Army training establishments, which commissions women to be officers.

Donning the uniform has been a dream for all of them; many have defied the wishes of their families to join. Commissioned officers passed out jubilantly at Parameshwaran grounds at OTA in Chennai on Saturday. Photo: R. Ravindran
OTAPASSINGOUTPARADE3

The curriculum covers every aspect of soldiering, including battle inoculation, and ensures that cadets are well acquainted with every kind of terrain and operation they are likely to encounter. The Reviewing Officer congratulated the OTA for having toiled hard to turn out a dynamic group of young military leaders. Photo: R. Ravindran

OTAPASSINGOUTPARADE4

General Officer Commanding in-Chief (Southern Command) Lt. Gen. P.M. Hariz spoke at the passing-out parade at Officers Training Academy (OTA). He said, “The Indian Army is admired globally for its professionalism in handling critical situations.” Photo: R. Ravindran
OTAPASSINGOUTPARADE2

Two women are among the 31 lady cadets who passed out of OTA. Photo: R. Ravindran
OTAPASSINGOUTPARADE6

Swati Mahadik, wife of late Col. Santosh Mahadik, passed out from the OTA. Santosh Mahadik laid down his life while fighting terrorists in Kupwara. Photo: PTI
SWATIOTAPTI992017000163A

Nidhi Dubey, another martyr’s widow became an officer. Nidhi Dubey was only 25 when her husband Mukesh Kumar Dubey, an army jawan, died of a cardiac arrest. Photo: R. Ravindran
OTAPASSINGOUTPARADE7

“I was initially scared of water and hesitant to take the 10-m jump in the water. But I overcame my fears after the officers warned me that the course would be extended for another six months,” Swati Mahadik said. Photo: R. Ravindran
OTAPASSINGOUTPARADE5

As important as the military skills, are the indefinable virtues that go into making an officer and a gentleman — leadership potential and the courage to lead in battle. The coveted ‘Sword of Honour’ and the gold medal were presented to Abhishek R. Photo: R. Ravindran
OTAPASSINGOUTPARADE1

The Chief of Army Staff banner for the champion company was presented to Jessami Company. Photo: R. Ravindran
OTAPASSINGOUTPARADE

The silver medal for standing second in overall order of merit was given to Aarushi Sharma and the bronze medal for standing third was awarded to Vivek. Photo: R. Ravindran

Army soldiers return from the scene of a gun fight in Shopian district of south Kashmir on Sunday. In a first, a militant on Sunday surrendered during an encounter. | Photo Credit: NISSAR AHMAD

05-ENCOUNTER-SGR-10-09-2017jpg

Soldiers leave the scene of an encounter with militants in Shopian district of south Kashmir on September 10, 2017. | Photo Credit: Nissar Ahmad
Shopian-encounter

Dhamupur (U.P.) , September 10, 2017 22:18 IST
Updated: September 10, 2017 22:30 IST
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/rawat-unveils-bust-of-1965-war-hero/article19656349.ece

VBK-BIPIN%20RAWAT

Army Chief Gen. Bipin Rawat unveiled a memorial during the anniversary of Param Veer Chakra Havildar Abdul Hamid, in Bhamupur village of Ghazipur on Sunday. | Photo Credit: PTI

Army Chief Gen. Bipin Rawat on Sunday unveiled a bust of the 1965 Indo-Pak war hero Abdul Hamid here in Ghazipur district and felicitated the widow of the soldier who was awarded Param Vir Chakra, the highest wartime gallantry medal.

On the occasion of the 52nd anniversary of his sacrifice, Gen. Rawat and his wife Madhulika met Rasoolan Bibi, wife of Havildar Hamid, and several other war widows and felicitated them. The Army chief also unveiled a memorial in Hamid’s honour in Dhamupur.

Lauding the contribution made by the people of the district to the armed forces, Gen. Rawat said a recruitment drive will be held soon in Ghazipur to encourage the youth to join the Army and contribute to the country’s security.

Hamid had destroyed several tanks of the Pakistan Army during the 1965 war in the Lahore sector.

Jahan Hindustan ki sena khadi hai, wahan khatra kisi aur se nahi hai [where the Indian Army is present, there is no threat from anyone],” the Army Chief said.

“Hamid is an inspiration for the youth and his extraordinary bravery made the country proud,” he said.

On the Dokalam issue, Gen. Rawat said India and China have held talks and the situation there is under control.

HY11BISONPOLOGROUNDS%202

As of now, the Bison Polo Grounds remains categorised as ‘C’ land, vested with the Secunderabad Cantonment Board. | Photo Credit: G_RAMAKRISHNA

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...son-polo-grounds-handover/article19656948.ece

Before land can be acquired for Secretariat, it needs to be reclassified in the General Land Registry
The Secunderabad Cantonment Board continues to maintain that it has not received communication from the Ministry of Defence regarding the State Government’s plans to construct a Secretariat on Bison Polo Grounds.

Chief Minister K. Chandrashekar Rao has publicly stated that Defence Ministry has agreed to give up Bison Polo Grounds, in exchange for compensation. The State’s assertion has also prompted its political opposition, mainly the Congress, to protest against the proposed move. The opposition has questioned the need for a new Secretariat and has also claimed loss of green cover in Secunderabad if the grounds are used for construction.

Cantonment Board

In the midst of the tussle between the government and opposition, the executive in the Secunderabad Cantonment Board has remained mum. “We are yet to receive any communication from the Ministry of Defence about construction of the Secretariat,” said the executive S.V.R Chandrasekhar, when asked about it.

Before the State government can avail Bison Polo Grounds, it needs to be reclassified in the General Land Registry (GLR). The GLR is a record registry that contains details of all land and its use in a cantonment. As of now, the land remains categorised as ‘C’ land, vested with the Secunderabad Cantonment Board. This classification means a land can be used by a cantonment board for dispensing municipal services. Parks in cantonments, for instance, are located on ‘C’ lands.

Land classification

According to those in defence administration familiar with Cantonment Land Administration Rules, the State government can avail the land either through a lease or by purchasing it. It is known that the State is keen on taking ownership as it has offered the Ministry of Defence land in exchange for the 55-acre ground.

Only after the ministry formally approves reclassification, the Defence Estate Officer in Secunderabad will execute the reclassification and slot Bison Polo Ground as ‘B2’ land. Given that this crucial communication had not arrived yet, questions have been raised about the deal in the light of a new Defence Ministry taking change.

Elected representatives in Secunderabad Cantonment dismissed these doubts on Friday. They said a policy decision has already been taken at the highest level in the Central Government to hand over Bison Polo Grounds to the State. “The coming of Secretariat in Secunderabad Cantonment will lead to its development. The opposition’s protest is baseless,” J. Ramakrishna, the board’s vice-president who represents ward number 5, told the press on Friday.

Malkajgiri Parliamentarian Ch. Malla Reddy, who was present at the press conference, said efforts are on to complete the acquisition of the ground by the time Dasara festivities begin.

encounter-personnel-september-mujahideen-confrence-presented-hindustan_994ddb26-9705-11e7-bef3-183dfba5e438.jpg

Hizbul Mujahideen militant Adil Hussain is taken by a security personnel to be presented before the media by police in a joint press conference with the Army and the CRPF in Srinagar on Monday. Adil was arrested while two other militant were killed in the encounter at Barbugh area of Shopian.(Waseem Andrabi /HT PHOTO)

On this day 12th Sep 1965 :

Pakistan’s plan to capture Amritsar was never achieved as their 1st Armoured Division lay routed by Indian forces in the Battle of ‘Assal Uttar’, but they had managed to capture Khemkaran. Repeated attempts by the Indian army to retake the town proved costly as their was no support from the IAF here. 11 tanks of the 9th Deccan Horse were captured by Pakistan. 4th Sikh & 2nd Mahar Battalions lost 200 men (killed and captured)

In the Sialkot sector C Squadron of the 17 Poona (Horse) observed a Pakistani helicopter, a Bell OH-13, landing South of Phillora. In a rare incident one of the tanks fired a HE shell from its primary gun and brought down the helo. It was later known that GOC of Pak's 15 Inf. Div. was in the chopper and was killed.

21743083_1013166538825030_3485286538257557331_n.jpg

On this day 12th Sep 1965 :

Pakistan’s plan to capture Amritsar was never achieved as their 1st Armoured Division lay routed by Indian forces in the Battle of ‘Assal Uttar’, but they had managed to capture Khemkaran. Repeated attempts by the Indian army to retake the town proved costly as their was no support from the IAF here. 11 tanks of the 9th Deccan Horse were captured by Pakistan. 4th Sikh & 2nd Mahar Battalions lost 200 men (killed and captured)

In the Sialkot sector C Squadron of the 17 Poona (Horse) observed a Pakistani helicopter, a Bell OH-13, landing South of Phillora. In a rare incident one of the tanks fired a HE shell from its primary gun and brought down the helo. It was later known that GOC of Pak's 15 Inf. Div. was in the chopper and was killed.

21743083_1013166538825030_3485286538257557331_n.jpg

Can you mention the name of General killed?
Major General Iftikhar was killed in helicopter crash (9 december) in Chamb during 1971 war. He was GoC 15 division as far as I remember.

The highest rank officer of Pak Army KIA during 1965 was Brigadier Shami. He was killed while his jeep came under fire while moving through forward posts.

I think the incident you are referring to is another fragment of imagination by Indian Army.

Ministry of Defence
12-September, 2017 16:04 IST
Defence Minister Visits Gujarat

Smt Nirmala Sitharaman, Hon’ble Raksha Mantri visited Golden Katar Division in Ahmedabad from 10 Sep to 11 Sep 2017. She was received by General Bipin Rawat, Chief of Army Staff and Lieutenant General PM Hariz, GOC-in-C, Southern Command.

Soon after having taken over as the Raksha Mantri, Smt Nirmala Sitharaman, visited Ahmedabad where she was briefed on the operational situation by the Army Commander Southern Command. The Hon’ble Minister preferred her first call to visit the area of Sir Creek because of the relevance of the area to the overall security requirements of Southern Command.

The General Officer Commanding Golden Katar Division briefed the Raksha Mantri on the historic relevance and strategic implications of the need to maintain effective surveillance in the area.

Interacting with all ranks of Army, Navy, IAF and Coast Guard she appreciated the manner in which the troops are maintaining territorial integrity and are prepared for any eventuality.

Col Aman Anand

PRO (Army)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom