What's new

Indian army $10-bn combat vehicle order!!!

I want to see PUMA of germeny via this competition in IA. These are best in my view.

Lazar and Tatrapan are also considered Mine Protected Vehicles not APC's like the AMV, Piranha, SKOT.
We had a few SKOT's in service with the Army.I don't think so they are used now and are pretty old.

Wheeled APCs in the Indian Army were BTR-60s and SKOT, both are off the active list now. Some may be in reserve, some of the SKOTs were even distributed to NCC units.

I want to see PUMA of germeny via this competition in IA. These are best in my view.

The Puma is kind of overdeveloped for an IFV, since the protection level is so high, that it nearly weighs as much as an MBT.

mahindras and TATAs proposals are clear BAE,rheinmetall respectively................... L&T ashok leyland proposal is not clear but from reports "L&T, too, hopes for an early decision. It has set up a design facility at Talegaon, and tied up with technology partners like CMI of Belgium" Pvt sector awaits ministry decision on Rs 50K-cr contract
L&T might develop the existing CMI cpws turret like mahindra did for rafael turret while ashok leyland builds the chassis in partnership with KMW............
CMI CPWS turret pictures
CPWS_20-25-30_CMI_Defence_Cocckerill_medium_calibre_weapon_stations_Belgium_Belgian_defence_industry_details_001.jpg

Army Recognition*-*Army Recognition

The Puma is kind of overdeveloped for an IFV, since the protection level is so high, that it nearly weighs as much as an MBT.

I know but every competitor in this bid is in JV with foreign partner. So selected IFV is nothing but just a upgrade or modification via IA requirement, so if any company JV with germeny they can be modified for IA role.

Excellent! Finally, the Army seems to be waking up from its obsession for foreign maal. This is great news.

But I think it is important to have more of wheeled IFVs now as we have more than enough BMPs that are tracked.

We need something indigenous along the lines of the following:

Austrian Pandur II

scaled.php

Finnish Patria AMV

patria_amv.jpg

German/Dutch GTK Boxer

800px-120-2048_IMG.JPG

Swiss Piranha

800px-Irish_Army_Mowag_Piranha.jpg

Excellent! Finally, the Army seems to be waking up from its obsession for foreign maal. This is great news.

But I think it is important to have more of wheeled IFVs now as we have more than enough BMPs that are tracked.

We need something indigenous along the lines of the following:

Austrian Pandur II

scaled.php

Finnish Patria AMV

patria_amv.jpg

German/Dutch GTK Boxer

800px-120-2048_IMG.JPG

Swiss Piranha

800px-Irish_Army_Mowag_Piranha.jpg
all the above mentioned designs are wheeled which would find difficulty in mobility in deserts when compared tracked ones........ but of course india has to procure wheeled vehicles too for peacekeeping,urban warfare where cross country mobility is not so demanding,for that IA has initiated procurement of 100 wheeled apc first and then manufacturing them locally............. so something along the lines of SEPtracked,k21,bionix would be ideal.......

all the above mentioned designs are wheeled which would find difficulty in mobility in deserts when compared tracked ones........ but of course india has to procure wheeled vehicles too for peacekeeping,urban warfare where cross country mobility is not so demanding,for that IA has initiated procurement of 100 wheeled apc first and then manufacturing them locally............. so something along the lines of SEPtracked,k21,bionix would be ideal.......

The tracked variants are already present in our Army and more shall be added.

Do note that with the change in regional geopolitics and threat perception, the usage or tendency to use APCs or IFVs in the western theater would reduce to nil soon. It is the eastern theatre where IFVs are needed to provide support fire in the hostile mountain terrain of Himalayan states where our troops are likely to fight the next war.

A strong foundation of armor strategy is important at this juncture as the turning point for Indian military strategy approaches.

Tracked vehicles have historically found it difficult to manage in rough mountainous conditions on this side of India, which has constantly reduced eastern borders to a fence of Army men that stand between us and the enemy.

Keeping these consideration in mind, wheeled IFVs will decide the future wars in Himalayas.

The tracked variants are already present in our Army and more shall be added.

Do note that with the change in regional geopolitics and threat perception, the usage or tendency to use APCs or IFVs in the western theater would reduce to nil soon. It is the eastern theatre where IFVs are needed to provide support fire in the hostile mountain terrain of Himalayan states where our troops are likely to fight the next war.

A strong foundation of armor strategy is important at this juncture as the turning point for Indian military strategy approaches.

Tracked vehicles have historically found it difficult to manage in rough mountainous conditions on this side of India, which has constantly reduced eastern borders to a fence of Army men that stand between us and the enemy.

Keeping these consideration in mind, wheeled IFVs will decide the future wars in Himalayas.

what makes u think we wont be using ifvs in the western theater ?

i do agree on the ne sector needing more wheeled ifvs, as well as some tracked ones...for ladakh ....the cv90 120mm would fit well....or we could try modding the 2a2s sprut to suit our needs.

I know but every competitor in this bid is in JV with foreign partner. So selected IFV is nothing but just a upgrade or modification via IA requirement, so if any company JV with germeny they can be modified for IA role.

Not necessarily, the Mahindra JV might be based on BAEs SEP, but Tatas offer seems to be an own design, with the turret procured by Rheinmetall, their JV partner. So it can be a modification, or an own development. Btw, Ashok Leyland has a JV with KMW, the manufacturere of the Puma:

Krauss-Maffei Wegmann GmbH & Co. KG leads the European market for armoured wheeled and tracked vehicles. At locations in Germany, Greece, the Netherlands and the USA, over 3500 employees develop, manufacture and support a superior product portfolio. The armed forces of over 30 nations worldwide rely on tactical systems made by KMW. ALDS and KMW have recently signed an MoU to jointly develop advanced defence systems, such as artillery, infantry fighting vehicles, armoured wheeled vehicles and more for the national and international markets.

Global Partners | Ashok Leyland Defence

Defence Expo 2012 | Ashok Leyland

It's about replacing parts of the BMPs and some older wheeled IFVs as well, not to mention that there is a tender for tracked and wheeled tank destroyers as well. So it's all in the pipeline, but going slow as usual in the IA.

Z4VU3DA.gif

Glimpse of the tracked chassis. The program is currently stuck. (cause of gov)

aXvF7ko.gif

But they went for another program off of the FICV experience and produced Kestral wheeled vehicle with VRDE.

MjE2kIm.jpg

TATA Motors Early Tracked Chassis Variant

FICV update, GoI/MoD withdrew EoI (Expression of interest) 2 years ago. Supposedly, as a result of the IA challenging the criteria being used in the original EoI.

TATA's wheeled FICV entry:

tumblr_nphqvi3e4I1tjfjuco8_1280.png

TATA's tracked FICV submission:

tumblr_nphqvi3e4I1tjfjuco6_1280.png

tumblr_nphqvi3e4I1tjfjuco5_1280.png

tumblr_nphqvi3e4I1tjfjuco9_1280.png

As part of an entirely separate project VRDE (a DRDO division) floated a tender for an amphibious assault vehicle that TATA won (submitting their wheeled FICV variant design) and hence the Kestrel was created- a joint VRDE-TATA project.

tumblr_nphqvi3e4I1tjfjuco7_1280.png

tumblr_nphqvi3e4I1tjfjuco3_1280.png

tumblr_nphqvi3e4I1tjfjuco2_1280.png

tumblr_nphqvi3e4I1tjfjuco1_540.png

TATA have been contracted to supply 2-3 prototypes to VRDE for testing and trails, the IA will at some stage be involved to carry out user trails of this type.

On the FICV front, the revised EoI (drafted with full IA participation and an improved weighting system) will be reissued within the coming months meaning there should (finally) be some forward momentum with this mammoth project.

To add on that. TATA won the DRDO floated contract for the power pack, drive line, hull and integration of Kestral.

India will likely buy the Boomerang sometime in the future. I don't want to tut any horns but the Boomerang offers more fire power then most of its competitors and it has amphibious capabilities meaning it's it is highly mobile and versatile. I believe it also has the capacity to fit 9 troops.

booommer.jpg

Last edited:
India will likely buy the Boomerang sometime in the future. I don't want to tut any horns but the Boomerang offers more fire power then most of its competitors and it has amphibious capabilities meaning it's it is highly mobile and versatile. I believe it also has the capacity to fit 9 troops.

View attachment 227692

Highly unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom