What's new

Indian army $10-bn combat vehicle order!!!

Highly unlikely.

What is India replacing it's old APCs with? The Russian trade minister said that India expressed interest at some of the vehicle in the May 9th parade. Anyways i can see into the future.

What is India replacing it's old APCs with? The Russian trade minister said that India expressed interest at some of the vehicle in the May 9th parade. Anyways i can see into the future.

BMP replacement. BMP2s will be replaced by wheeled and tracked infantry fight vehicles. This is numbering in the thousands.

This program, like many other future programs is under the 'make' category. Russian companies will have to tie up with an Indian private, public company, and much of the IP of the winning product will belong to the Indian company. This is why I said it's highly unlikely.

BMP replacement. BMP2s will be replaced by wheeled and tracked infantry fight vehicles. This is numbering in the thousands.

This program, like many other future programs is under the 'make' category. Russian companies will have to tie up with an Indian private company, and much of the IP of the winning product will belong to the Indian company. This is why I said it's highly unlikely.

So is this program even in development? Russia offers two variants of the tracked Kurganets-25 platform as well as the Boomerang. Both Kurganets-25 variants have an active protection system, which from my understanding is not present on any other APC/IFV. Things like this are usually very costly but because Russia plans on making thousands of these vehicles that have commonality the price will be reduced and things like active protection can be had. Cost wise it would make sense for India to opt for either Boomerang or the Kurganets because Russia is already placing orders. The problem with some Indian platforms is that they use a lot of foreign parts which is a pain, with a Russian platform, there is only one suppliers to deal with.

In the mean time when is India intending to induct either their own or foreign APCs? The future can be a long ways away.

So is this program even in development? Russia offers two variants of the tracked Kurganets-25 platform as well as the Boomerang. Both Kurganets-25 variants have an active protection system, which from my understanding is not present on any other APC/IFV. Things like this are usually very costly but because Russia plans on making thousands of these vehicles that have commonality the price will be reduced and things like active protection can be had. Cost wise it would make sense for India to opt for either Boomerang or the Kurganets because Russia is already placing orders. The problem with some Indian platforms is that they use a lot of foreign parts which is a pain, with a Russian platform, there is only one suppliers to deal with.

In the mean time when is India intending to induct either their own or foreign APCs? The future can be a long ways away.

Well the govt has selected the TATA Kestrel series for the FICV project and have been asked to make 3 prototypes , knowing that you always have better products available abroad. TATA Motors have a legacy in Indian Defence Foray and have the ability to indigenize any subsystems through their R&D facility provided they see a business continuity.

Only Indian players can bid for this make program, not Russian or German directly. The Indian players can choose to work with outside companies if they like(many are), or work with each other.

These are some of the Indian companies in the bid, Ashok Leyland , Larsen & Toubro, Bharat Forge, Tata Motors and Mahindra & Mahindra , etc. Two will be short listed. Any outside company have to work with them, that's the only way.

The program right now is being redefined and will be out soon. Thats when these companies will be in full go mode.

TATA has gone a head and shown off it's wheeled platform.

Tata-Kestrel.jpg

tracked mock up

DSC01697.JPG

Yeah, some parts maybe be foreign, but India's not going to get screwed again like when Russia wouldnt even allow it to manufacture the original barrel for the T90 or it's armor. And most importantly its pouring billions into it's own defence industry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom