What's new

Indian Air Force: Tejas Light Combat Aircraft Can’t Protect Indian Skies

Do you know the FOC criteria of IAF ? and then compare that FOC Criteria with present version of JF-17.
Which world you are talking about ? Pakistan ?

IAF wants an complete aircraft but PAF was left with no option other than to invest in chinese A/C.
India have options and have no hurry.
No problem wait another 20 years.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1st people have to compare technical between jf 17 and hal Tejas? HAL Tejas is still better than jf 17 but Indian force is asking more changes. That is show, standard like China doesn't want to Induct FC -1.

We don't need to induct a fighter if we need look for replacement within 15 years

6 operational planes vs 400 planes?? Do I need to restart the Indian crash rate debate?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
The thread is about Tejas so please compare Tejas with whatever you want, at least it has not yet crashed in it's 3000+ flight hours...

The thread is about Tejas so please compare Tejas with whatever you want, at least it has not yet crashed in it's 3000+ flight hours...
Make that 6000 Plus Flying hours.... that is the latest figure....

A new report by the IAF said that the Tejas fighter jet lags behind its foreign competitors like the JAS-39 Gripen.

The Indian Air Force (IAF) has issued a new report listing several deficiencies found with India’s first domestically designed and produced light fighter aircraft, the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), in yet another push to convince the government to procure foreign-made single engine fighter jets.

According to IAF assessments, the Tejas LCA, when compared to Saab’s JAS-39 Gripen and Lockheed Martin’s F-16, boasts reduced airborne endurance — 59 minutes versus three hours for the Gripen and nearly four hours for the F-16. The Tejas can also only carry a weapons payload of around three tons against nearly six tons by the Gripen and seven tons by the F-16.

Furthermore, maintenance requirements for the Tejas LCA are also higher than with foreign combat aircraft. The Tejas LCA requires 20 hours of serving for every hour of flying against six hours for the Gripen and 3.5 hours for the F-16. In addition, the service life of the Tejas LCA is also half that of the 40 years found in both the Gripen and F-16.

Enjoying this article? Click here to subscribe for full access. Just $5 a month.
The Tejas LCA is a supersonic, single-seat, single-engine multirole light fighter aircraft that has been under development since 1983 by the Aeronautical Development Agency in cooperation with Indian state-owned military aircraft maker Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).

HAL has repeatedly stated that it intends to address the technical shortfalls. In May 2015, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India — the Indian government’s principal oversight body —issued a report highlighting technical problems with the Tejas LCA, including inadequate electronic warfare capabilities, problems with the onboard radar system, and reduced internal-fuel capacity.

The shortcomings are expected to be tackled in the upgraded Mark I-A variant of the LCA, which was slated to take to the skies for the first time this year. The upgraded LCA will be fitted with an advanced AESA radar system and a new electronic warfare sensor suite, among other thing. The IAF also wants to arm its Tejas fleet with I-Derby beyond-visual-range (BVR) air-to-air missile.

Saab has held talks with HAL to collaborate on the upgraded version of the Tejas Mark-IA.

As I noted elsewhere: “The [IAF] intends to induct a total of 123 Tejas Mark-IA aircraft. In November 2016, the Indian MoD cleared the purchase of a first batch of 83 Mark-IA LCAs. The IAF is also currently slated to receive 40 Tejas Mark-I aircraft by early 2018.”

However, HAL has not been able to meet the target of producing eight Tejas aircraft per year. In July 2016, the IAF inducted the first two serially-produced LCAs, followed by two more aircraft in the same year. Twelve more aircraft are currently at the production stage. The Indian government has also been pushing HAL to ramp up production capacity from eight to 16 aircraft per year.
Between when this report was published... almost 3 months back... and today... another 83 Tejas fighters have been ordered... so dude ... take your me and me session into t a rabbit hole and have fun.

Make that 6000 Plus Flying hours.... that is the latest figure....

Between when this report was published... almost 3 months back... and today... another 83 Tejas fighters have been ordered... so dude ... take your me and me session into t a rabbit hole and have fun.
Santra bhaiya 6000 is 3000+!!!:p:

Do you understand statistics? the probability of crashes increase with more operational aircraft, India crash rate for gen 4 fighters is twice of China. I am not even talking about MIg-21s, 23s and Jaguars yet. Your air force is the laughing stock of the world. Understand?:enjoy:

Do you understand statistics? the probability of crashes increase with more operational aircraft, India crash rate for gen 4 fighters is twice of China. I am not even talking about MIg-21s, 23s and Jaguars yet. Your air force is the laughing stock of the world. Understand?:enjoy:
Yeh.. like JF17 started falling from skies with 2000 Flying hours under its belt...

cash cow for many indians. tejas is never going to be front line fighter of the IAF. the su 30, mig 29 and mirage 2000 are already sufficient for PAF. add rafale to the equation and IAF will be in a much comfortable position. i dont know why IAF is going for tejas. they have good numbers of 4th gen jets. they should focus on 5th gen jet and hang all those who have been involved in tejas project for more then 3 decades.
IAF is more concerned about PLAAF rather than PAF in the first place and we have our jets stationed at both borders and Tejas is to replace Mig-21's and 27's while the aircrafts you mentioned are frontline fighters. M2000's and Mig-29's will be eventually replaced by AMCA along with Rafales

Yeh.. like JF17 started falling from skies with 2000 Flying hours under its belt...
86 vs 6 operational aircraft? 2 crashes so far. Operational almost a decade ago. How did you get 2000 hours before crash and how did you calculate your India flight hours. Care to share? That is statistics for you.

Judging by Indian maintenance culture and competency. LCA crash will increase as the operational count increases.

Crash rates are also related to quality of the plane or quality or qualification of people who maintain them, if crash rates are high that implies the quality is lacking as with other Chinese products....Well smiley thug you can finish this here, I will speak to you in other thread...:-)

Crash rates are also related to quality of the plane or quality or qualification of people who maintain them, if crash rates are high that implies the quality is lacking as with other Chinese products....Well smiley thug you can finish this here, I will speak to you in other thread...:-)

OK, then explain to me why Indian crash rate for gen 4 aircraft is twice of China's? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:. Not sure how you can compare quality of Indian planes to Chinese planes since there are only 6 operational LCAs.:what:

India should restart the project and build Tejas ground up. This time they can do it in 10 years.

86 vs 6 operational aircraft? 2 crashes so far. Operational almost a decade ago. How did you get 2000 hours before crash and how did you calculate your India flight hours. Care to share? That is statistics for you.
IAF is in no rush unlike PAF so they can induct half baked jets and then claim to have numbers.... with no arsenal... Block 1 that made 70% of PAF JF17 numbers a toothless tiger ... just put out to play flying flying....

And I wonder how many Sorties could PAF manage between 2007 to 2011 when first crash was reported.... may be 2000 sorties... considering initial sorties were primarily for testing ...

Back
Top Bottom