What's new

Indian Air Force News & Discussions

2371832.jpg

IAF Bombardier Global 5000E ELINT/SIGINT aircraft fitted with EL/M-2060P Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), roof-mounted SATCOM equipment and Condor-2 LOROP cameras.

Operated by ARC.

Guys, can someone shed some light on this. Few mins back I noted heightened Su-30 activity over Hinjewadi,Pune. They usually fly over head for glide path to land, but today I saw more than 3 different birds overhead and none had landing gear out. One of them was really making the most of his/her bird. Anyways it was really something to watch upon an overcast-ed sky.

Guys, can someone shed some light on this. Few mins back I noted heightened Su-30 activity over Hinjewadi,Pune. They usually fly over head for glide path to land, but today I saw more than 3 different birds overhead and none had landing gear out. One of them was really making the most of his/her bird. Anyways it was really something to watch upon an overcast-ed sky.

Apart from the routine sorties; some trials seem to be on now.
And Hinjewadi is in the flight-path envelope.

May day: India’s New Basic & Intermediate Flight Trainers

Latest News:

IAF’s Basic Trainer counter-proposal – and a legal issue in India?

Jan 20/14: Next BTA? Ajai Shukla pens an oped that looks at HAL’s arguments for the HTT-40, while dismissing any concerns raised by the other side. That isn’t very valuable in and of itself, and makes his “full” cost figures suspect. On the other hand, he details the IAF’s counter-proposal: INR 24.05 billion (about $393 million) for 10 more full PC-7 imports, and 96 license-assembled PC-7 Mk.IIs at IAF’s 5 Base Repair Depot in Sulur, Tamil Nadu: 28 semi-knocked down kits, and 68 fully knocked-down parts sets.

There is merit to his point that lifetime costs are larger than purchase costs. An India unable to produce its own spares locally does leave itself at the risk of paying more, and of currency fluctuations. The core argument involves pinning down the potential differences, and then asking whether the IAF’s training fleet is both economically small enough, and militarily important enough, to justify the tradeoff in exchange for a no-risk solution. The IAF says yes, and makes an argument. Shulka won’t address the question.

The most interesting point Shulka makes is that the original Basic Trainer Aircraft RFP only covered 75 fully built aircraft. Could a competitor snarl the proceedings by citing the failure to include a local-assembly under Transfer of Technology option, on the basis that they would have won had it been part of the tender? Anywhere other than India, the answer would be no. Separate contracts are separate. In India? Who knows. Sources: Business Standard, “Is indigenisation just a slogan?”

May day: India’s New Basic & Intermediate Flight Trainers

Sorry for posting the stuff here.. Group captain Suneet has been in Tarmak007.. great insight .. we have multi pylon for FOC :)

Know more about India's first laser-guided bomb Sudarshan.

New Delhi: Sudarshan is an Indian laser-guided bomb kit. This comes half a century after the United States developed the first laser guided bomb in 1960s.

Sudarshan was developed by Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), a DRDO lab with technological support from another DRDO lab Instruments Research and Development Establishment (IRDE) for the Indian Air Force.

Sudarshan was designed for 450 kg (990 pound) bombs. The current version has a range of nine kilometers.

A new version will have glide range extended to 50 kilometers and the flight stability of Sudarshan improved.
Sudarshan was designed to improve accuracy of air-to-ground bombing. It is expected to rival GBU-12 Paveway II in performance.

The bomb, once released, by the mother aircraft at appropriate range, will seek the target and home on to it very accurately and with high reliability.

All the necessary on-board components were sourced from Indian industry.

The ADE had successfully designed, developed and carried out the user trials of the bomb.

According to the reports Sudarshan will be in service with the IAF bombers squadrons of Mig-27 and SEPECAT Jaguar.

On January 21, 2010, it was reported that two flight trials had been conducted at the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur, Balasore in Orissa, to test the effectiveness of the guidance and control systems of laser-guided bombs.

The test was conducted by pilots of the Indian Air Force, who flew the aircraft and released the bombs as per prescribed standard operating procedures.

On June 9, 2010, user trials of the laser-guided bomb kits were carried out at Pokhran test range with the participation of the IAF.

The on-board systems in both the trials worked satisfactorily and had met the mission objectives.

sudarshan-4.jpg

sudarshan-6.jpg

Know more about India's first laser-guided bomb Sudarshan

On the eve of Republic Day 2014; it will be good to remember and recall an episode that took place in the aftermath of the 1971 conflict.
Some downed IAF Pilots who were POWs in a Camp in Rawalpindi decided to escape. They actually did and were able to make their way to near the Afghan-Pakistan Border near Torkham........till they got nabbed.

That story is recounted again by two of the escapees: Gp.Capt. Dilip Parulkar and Wg.Cdr.Grewal in a conversation with Shekhar Gupta that was telecast on NDTV's program "Walk the Talk".

The conversation is in two parts:

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/walk-the-talk/walk-the-talk-with-indian-air-force-bravehearts-part-i/305880?vod-related

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/walk-the-talk/walk-the-talk-with-indian-air-force-bravehearts-part-ii/306798?hp

While the conversation is interesting in its recounting of a somewhat exciting incident, it also interesting since it documents the Profesional Aviators on both sides of the border, who also had all the the attributes of Officers and Gentlemen at the end of it all.
Do take a "dekko" at the program.

@Abingdonboy, @sandy_3126, @Oscar, @jaibi, @Icarus. @RescueRanger, @Contrarian, @Jungibaaz, @Irfan Baloch, @fatman17, @zakii, @Joe Shearer, @FaujHistorian and all others here.

@John Doe; I'm sure you've heard about it all. And from the "horse's mouth" at that ! ;)

Last edited:
On the eve of Republic Day 2014; it will be good to remember and recall an episode that took place in the aftermath of the 1971 conflict.
Some downed IAF Pilots who were POWs in a Camp in Rawalpindi decided to escape. They actually did and were able to make their way to near the Afghan-Pakistan Border near Torkham........till they got nabbed.

That story is recounted again by two of the escapees: Gp.Capt. Dilip Parulkar and Wg.Cdr.Grewal in a conversation with Shekhar Gupta that was telecast on NDTV's program "Walk the Talk".

The conversation is in two parts:

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/walk-the-talk/walk-the-talk-with-indian-air-force-bravehearts-part-i/305880?vod-related

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/walk-the-talk/walk-the-talk-with-indian-air-force-bravehearts-part-ii/306798?hp

While the conversation is interesting in its recounting of a somewhat exciting incident, it also interesting since it documents the Profesional Aviators on both sides of the border, who also had all the the attributes of Officers and Gentlemen at the end of it all.
Do take a "dekko" at the program.

@Abingdonboy, @sandy_3126, @Oscar, @jaibi, @Icarus. @RescueRanger, @Contrarian, @Jungibaaz, @Irfan Baloch, @fatman17, @zakii, @Joe Shearer, @FaujHistorian and all others here.

@John Doe; I'm sure you've heard about it all. And from the "horse's mouth" at that ! ;)

Wonderful share, thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the best programs I have seen on Indo-Pak Wartime Interaction. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see it though I hate you for posting this at such a late hour. I should have been asleep an hour ago.

The host interrupted the guests a lot, I think they should have been allowed to speak in their own flow but I guess the man has time constraints of his own and needed to carry the show accordingly.

You are all wrong. The aircraft is larger than the C-27 and has 4 blades. It is the Transall C-160.
Possibly there to support a German Air Force display participation.
c-160_transall_2_of_5.jpg

Haha... that was a like a boss Post

like-a-boss.jpg

Wonderful share, thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the best programs I have seen on Indo-Pak Wartime Interaction. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see it though I hate you for posting this at such a late hour. I should have been asleep an hour ago.

The host interrupted the guests a lot, I think they should have been allowed to speak in their own flow but I guess the man has time constraints of his own and needed to carry the show accordingly.

Thanks for the Good Words; @Icarus. More so in spite of the fact that I ruined your sleep.... :-)

What I liked most, was the fact that the (ex)POWs spoke with respect of their erstwhile captors/so-called Jailors.
In Wars/Conflicts; People do become casualties, but Honor should not be allowed to become a casualty!

I know so many people (some of them from my family) who spoke with great respect and affection about the course-mates and friends who repatriated to the Armed Forces of their choice across the borders on two sides.
People like H.M.S.Chaudhary, S.M..Ahsan. Asghar Khan, Nur Khan, M.B.Awan were names that were commonly heard of. Though they had to even don the mantle of "adversaries"!

Ah; Shekhar Gupta is one of India's better journos, non-jingoistic while retaining the appropriate attitude towards Soldiers. He seems in parts to be a little "hectoring" in his style; but that is because he has to keep the narrative going, while veterans and old-timers sometimes tend to get a bit rambling.
I know, since I've been documenting some old-timers for quite some time now..... ;)

Sunday, January 26, 2014
Visuals Of The IAF's Flankers Like You've Never Seen Before
The most insanecous, Godawesomely breath-taking visuals of the tip of the Indian Air Force's spear. So supreme a sight, you've to invent words to describe it.

IRKUT Corporation, recently released this bunch of hires pictures showing the IAF's Sukhoi Su-30MKI 'Flanker', it originally manufactured, in action. Given the quantum of India's requirements, these aircrafts are presently being license manufactured in the country itself. Feast your visual senses.

click on the images to view it in larger size

Visuals Of The IAF's Flankers Like You've Never Seen Before - AA Me, IN

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom