What's new

Indian Air Force faces risk as PAK, China modernise airforce: report

Unbalanced bearing stress is my guess.

You cant expect manufacturing quality coupled with standard Maintenance "Murphy's law" to not take effect.
The Mig-27 fleet has done its bit, but it is nearing the end of its service life. Sadly, the inevitable delays in Indian procurement are leaving this niche capability in an oddball gap till the early 2020s.

Regardless of the IAFs decision to repalce them with greater MKIs, I dont think there was no opposition to the idea of replacing a tactical CAS aircraft with a much larger Air Dominance focused platform with its inherited greater turnaround time and operating costs. If anything, I wonder why saner heads did not prevail earlier to realise that putting all the eggs in the MMRCA basket would backfire if it got inevitably delayed?

Oh dear, I really hope these articles stating what a pathetic state the IAF is in don't encourage the GoI/MoD to sign some long pending deals for the IAF :angel:

Oh dear, I really hope these articles stating what a pathetic state the IAF is in don't encourage the GoI/MoD to sign some long pending deals for the IAF :angel:

That is always the idea. When such deals hit limbo, one pays off the media to manipulate public opinion and force a deal.

That is always the idea. When such deals hit limbo, one pays off the media to manipulate public opinion and force a deal.
Well given the Ah-64E, CH-47F, A330 MRTT and even Rafale deals all seem to have inched forward in the past few days I'd say the return on investment will be high for the IAF.

I know we are late, but we are working hard to move forward now. Since it involves huge amount of money and decision needs to be sensible, we cannot just rush because we have depleting force. In all honesty there will be no war in near future either with Pakistan or China and hence we can manage it. It is important to make right decisions.

India will soon get Sukhoi Su-27 from Russia aircraft from top ten best aircraft of the world what Pakistan should get J 10 or other it's too expensive sukhoi_su27_flanker.jpg

These writers need to come on PDF, we'll take care of them.

IAF is gonna get tejas and tejas is gonna improve. Rest assured, there are vested interests in IAF too.

We wasted a decade in terms of policy making and strategy. We sure are making up for it.

Ironically, this is done by both the seller and the buyer in India. Russians especially.

why are they so obsessed with us...on every news channel and in every political ceremony they always say that they are inferior but a simple wiki read suggests the opposite...why are they so wehmi ? And don't they have any better idea to raise some funds ?

But to little is being done, In reality defence journos turn on more heat for specific deals to go through foe foreign vendors instead of projecting gaps in forces to get government attention in plugging them.

Tactics to get more funds. A force with MKIs, Mir 2 Ks and Mig 29 and Rafale on order shoud not be much worried about

There is a thing as cost inflation. Please bear in mind that the MMRCA deal was floated around 2000-01 odd. The deal has been inked and finalised. What else are they waiting for? In all these years the IAF has thoroughly evaluated the aircraft and selected the best. 126 aircraft and supporting equipment WILL cost money and a LOT of money. If the payment is made now it actually helps the tax payer because then there will be no inflation adjustments.

LCA was designed as a Mig-21 replacement. It does a very good job as a Mig-21 replacement but the problem is that 2015 is the age of 5th generation aircraft and in India we are trying to rebuild a 3rd generation plane. AESA+stealth design has become the standard and goal of every modern air force. LCA was planned in 1980s and we are still to induct them. The aircraft is not bad but its role will be limited in modern high-tech environment and instead of spending money buying 200 LCA the money would be better spend buying additional MKI or Rafale.

On one hand India is investing in the Russian FGFA and on the other hand we want to induct a 3rd generation fighter as well. Does not make any sense.

Mig-29s are same as F-16s, you can upgrade the aircraft to make it relevant but if you have the option to go for a EF-2000 then go for that instead of a Mig-29. I am not calling the fulcrum a bad aircraft, I am saying time has come to retire the aircraft. Mig-21s in the 50s and 60s were the best fighter interceptors in the world, but today is 2015 and things have changed.

The only class of Migs good enough to put up a fight is Mig-29 but even they are aging. There are a lots of ifs and bts attached with Mig 21/23/27. 150 upgraded Mig-27 sounds good but I would rather have 40-50 frontline Rafale/Typhoon than 150 second line of attack Mig-27.

Jaguars are past their prime. Spitfires were the legends of WW2 but new Spitfires are not made today because the generation of the aircraft has evolved. Jaguars are strike aircraft and IAF already has the trump card with MKI. Having 7-8 different types of aircraft in an airforce is not a plus point but a SERIOUS disadvantage. Logistics and maintenance will be badly hit.

Fewer classes of aircraft of the best quality is anyday better than a dozen types of aircraft of average quality.

A 400 strong IAF consisting of MKI, Rafale, 4th generation aircraft like EF-2000 Typhoon will be more effective feared and respected than 900 strong IAF consisting of Mig-27, Jaguars, LCA etc.

400 may be too few aircraft for a country as large as India

Back
Top Bottom