What's new

India: white skin is the right skin ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dar skinned mokeys? Never heard this term in Pakistan, where i've spent a considerable portion of my life.

The term is used in the english language as a derogatory word for negroes. Famously, Indian Cricketer Harbhajjan Singh used the term as a racial slur against an Australian player Andrew Symonds.

I think it stems from something deeper than that.

Historically, the fairer skinned Aryans came to dominate Bharat Varsha, and they subjugated the local dark skinned population (compare todays adivasis, shudras and dravidians with northern Indian or higher caste skin colours).

This has been ignrained into the Bharati psyche, where they associate fairness with beauty while a person with darker skin but better features is still considered ugly.

This is exemplified in the famous Bollywood song of yore "Hum Kaale hain to kya hua Dilwale hain".

Funny. The last time I checked in the mirror, I looked pretty Dravidian. And I'm as Brahmin as they can get.

The whole Aryan thing is so long ago in the past that it doesn't matter anymore. There has been a lot of inter-mixing in India in the past 3000 years.

Adivasis are a different matter - they have been outside the society and have not been assimilated. You're mixing up a lot of topics here.

dar skinned mokeys? Never heard this term in Pakistan, where i've spent a considerable portion of my life.

The term is used in the english language as a derogatory word for negroes. Famously, Indian Cricketer Harbhajjan Singh used the term as a racial slur against an Australian player Andrew Symonds.

Oh, you hear Pakistanis ranting about their supposed superior looks to Indians all the time. Just check facebook groups.

I'm not sure what the conclusion of the whole Harbhajjan drama was. But one theory I heard was that he didn't say "monkey", he said "ma ki...". If you know Urdu/Hindi/Punjabi, you can guess where that sentence leads to :D

A.R, the question you posted, received an amazing Answer from the first person who replied!

LOL!

"Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
The easiest way, of course, is to have white grandparents."

Well that's quite difficult :what::undecided: to have as they are born half a century before you :woot:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh, you hear Pakistanis ranting about their supposed superior looks to Indians all the time. Just check facebook groups.

You're not really supposed to take those groups seriously. However, if someone really DOES take them seriously, then that says a lot about them than the group itself.

Skin complexion phobia is a disease common in ALL (Not everyone) dark skinned humans. Someone said in an earlier post that "White skin brings out more beauty". I disagree. It's the complete opposite in Europe and North America. Ever heard the term "Tanning"?!?! The "TAN" look appeals more to people than "white" skin. Exactly why you see Tan booths every where in North america and Europe.

And of course, by Tan, I mean "Slightly" tan. Not the kind of tan where you'd have to smile in a dark place to get noticed. :lol:

Actually on average a Indian is darker then a Pakistani. Reason being geography and climate.

As you can see, a major part of India is closer to the equator then Pakistan.

Wasn't the last thread enough, quite frankly there is nothing to debate here, only thing the Indian members must do is hide their embarrassment and reflect attention on this subject...:tsk:

There is a major trend in India for fair skin, this is nothing new, it's a growing part of their social ideals.

Last edited:
Funny. The last time I checked in the mirror, I looked pretty Dravidian. And I'm as Brahmin as they can get.

The whole Aryan thing is so long ago in the past that it doesn't matter anymore. There has been a lot of inter-mixing in India in the past 3000 years.

Adivasis are a different matter - they have been outside the society and have not been assimilated. You're mixing up a lot of topics here.

THe Aryan thing is entrenched in your mentality.

And the Brahmins have by now mixed in with locals so that they look identical in many cases. Not all Brahmins are fair skinned. I'd say fair skinned Brahmins are the exception.

I guess you know better then me where to find what kind of cream :p

Yes I do. Its all about exposure and the society you move in. I am proud to be a part of a materialistic, hedonistic, and liberal society.

I am not happy the way God made me, hence I take great pains in trying to improve myself. I go to the gym, take supplements, visit dermatologist, use cosmetics, spend quite a lot of my substantial income in trying to look good.

In North India having a blemish free, healthy, tan free, even skin tone is considered beautiful and I agree with it.

Wasn't the last thread enough, quite frankly there is nothing to debate here, only thing the Indian members must do is hide their embarrassment and reflect attention on this subject...:tsk:

There is a major trend in India for fair skin, this is nothing new, it's a growing part of their social ideals.

We would avoid this name calling and get to the root cause of the problem.
The snow-white syndrome

"Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them."

David Hume.

That beauty is only skin deep is a mantra best left for winning beauty pageants. Since the dawn of globalisation in India, the cosmetic industry had got its much-needed jumpstart. And Kochi with its

beautiful, image conscious women, has been an obvious target. Walk into any cosmetic store in the city, and one has an array of products to choose from leaving both the market and the consumer in a state of perpetual high. But then all this has come with a price. The slow yet deliberate conditioning of the Malayali female psyche to the Western ideal of `divine beauty' (aka- the tall, fair, slim syndrome) had just begun. In the West, white aesthetic predominates and that ideologue has come to rule our subconscious. Just switch on the television and one is bombarded with advertisements and fashion think tanks endorsing these pre-conceived concepts to the subliminal minds of the viewers. Thus you have a whole new generation of young Malayali women totally disillusioned with their intended evolutionary physiology, desperate to get their hands on products that will morph them into the TSF (Tall, Slim, Fair) ideal.

An obsession

In fact the fascination for white skin has almost become a national obsession. Flip through the matrimonial ads, and guess what the ideal requirement of a prospective bride is? It's quite intriguing to watch famous brands of `fairness creams' blatantly advocating the superiority of its `fair maiden' over the `dark skinned loser'. The glorification of the done to death `Gori-Gori' songs in Bollywood movies have not helped either. Says Smitha, (name changed), a corporate executive, "The preference for good looks is so obviously deep rooted, especially in todays corporates, where image counts a great deal, that sometimes you wonder if it affects the selection criteria during interviews." And this is not the affliction of just hip-urbanites. Sheila a domestic -help says, " I spend a part of my salary every month on fairness creams for my daughter .She is of marriageable age and should get a good husband you know." Obviously under the impression that fair skin is indeed a ticket for a good alliance. But nothing could console the attractive 17-year-old, who was denied access to the `elitist circle'(read popular) at college, on account of her dusky complexion!

Often victims of such racist remarks, these impressionable youngsters are under tremendous pressure to succumb to the TSF complex often leading to depressive disorders. A German tourist, while flipping through the matrimonial section of a news daily, had once commented that he simply could not fathom the Indian fascination for fair skin, and in essence said that we were quite like a coconut, brown on the outside but white inside. I couldn't have thought of a better analogy.

Discrimination

This maybe just the tip of the iceberg. We have inadvertently succeeded in building a thoroughly discriminatory mindset, thanks to the global cosmetic players. The Indian `nari' (woman) has come of age- exclaim the cosmetic gurus. She has indeed metamorphosed into their `Barbie Clone' with anorexia et al. But what they are doing are, undermining the self-confidence, violating the sentiments of millions of women through such racist endorsements. We have the collective responsibility to see that our children grow up in an emotionally, physically and intellectually healthy environment. Acceptance and respecting differences, whether they be of colour, caste, or creed, to seek beauty in all of nature's creations, should be driven into young minds. Cosmetics do enhance ones looks and should be used as an accessory, not the mind-altering panacea that it ruthlessly advocates. Meanwhile, the television is replete with the horrific images of death and destruction, and yet one dreads switching it on for fear of seeing something far more grotesque to feminine sensibilities.

THe Aryan thing is entrenched in your mentality.

And the Brahmins have by now mixed in with locals so that they look identical in many cases. Not all Brahmins are fair skinned. I'd say fair skinned Brahmins are the exception.

But I thought that Brahmins were racial supremacists who didn't want to marry with the locals?

But I thought that Brahmins were racial supremacists who didn't want to marry with the locals?

Initially perhaps. Which is why the varnas were created. But the cultural flow meant someone had to be Brahmins in all places. Some places there's no fairer skinned folk. It gets mixed up over time most likely.

Initially perhaps. Which is why the varnas were created. But the cultural flow meant someone had to be Brahmins in all places. Some places there's no fairer skinned folk. It gets mixed up over time most likely.

Congratulations! You have managed to completely reverse the history of the Varna system.

The Varnas were initially simple non-heriditary divisions of labour, which over the course of many centuries, became more and more rigid until it became very difficult for a person of one varna to transfer to another one.
However, through the history of Indian literature, there have been texts that describe people changing their varna, so even if it was largely rigid, there was a degree of social mobility.

HA HA HA HA

SIR,

its just liek trying to be like them. THIS IS Truth,
i tell you no matter how much you dye your hair blonde or put fake eyes follow an anorexic standard of beauty, or no matter how many whitening lotion you going to apply, what kind of car you drive, what kind of fancy clothes you put on,

we will never be them. They're look at you as nothing but a little monkey.
Be proud of what you are instead of desperately trying to be something you really not, just to be them and fit in to this so called westernization.

Well, skin colour isn't important, there are more importent things on the world. Nevertheless I am going to be honestly and tell you that I am happy that I have white skin, I don't like dark skin....but that depends on every individual and skin colour isn't a matter of proudness or Social Status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom