What's new

India Wants Domestic Production of Pilatus Trainers

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
India Wants Domestic Production of Pilatus Trainers | Defense News | defensenews.com

NEW DELHI
— After contracting 75 basic trainer aircraft from Pilatus in 2012, the Indian Ministry of Defence wants to buy an additional 106 that would be license-built by a domestic company.

But domestic defense firms find the proposal uneconomical, and state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL) is pushing its own homegrown basic trainer, though the Indian Air Force has already rejected it.

The request for information, described by the defense industry as the first of its kind, asks selected domestic companies if they would participate in the proposed $1.2 billion program to build 106 Pilatus PC-7 Mark-II trainers under license from the Swiss company in the “Buy and Make (Indian)” category, which restricts contracts to domestic defense companies and requires that at least half of the components and subsystems come from domestic sources.

Domestic companies, in turn, find the “Buy and Make (Indian )” program for Pilatus uneconomical because of the limited order. A chosen domestic company and the Swiss original equipment manufacturer would produce the trainer. However, no domestic partner has so far confirmed talking to Pilatus on the program.

An executive of Tata Group, which received the request for information, said that under the tender’s terms all interested Indian companies will have to first talk to Pilatus and then calculate their cost. Pilatus would be the main beneficiary under the Indian program, leaving little profit for the domestic firms, the official said.

HAL is also developing a homegrown trainer and is trying to block the proposed Pilatus program, a Defence Ministry source said.

A HAL official said the basic trainer it is developing, the HTT-40, would be more advanced than the PC-7 as it will have weapon-firing capabilities and other advancements. The HTT-40 is expected to fly by 2015, he added.

The Pilatus Buy and Make proposal may never take off because of domestic companies’ lack of interest and HAL’s push for its own program, the MoD source said.

Last year, the Air Force proposed that HAL license-produce the Pilatus aircraft but HAL rejected the proposal, saying it was working on its own project, a senior Air Force official said.

The Air Force informed the MoD last year that it did not favor HAL’s homegrown trainer and asked MoD to buy additional trainers quickly.

HAL and the Air Force came to a dispute when the former Air Force chief, Air Chief Marshal N.A.K. Browne, asked Defence Minister A.K. Antony to drop HAL’s plans to produce its own basic trainer and instead purchase additional Pilatus trainers.

Browne wrote to Antony, saying HAL should focus on its delayed aircraft projects, especially the Intermediate Jet Trainer, and forget about building a basic trainer.

The Swiss-made trainer would be cheaper than the HTT-40, and HAL has poor reliability in terms of delivery shedules, Browne said.

The Air Force has a requirement for 181 basic trainer aircraft. The request for information says the trainers must include requisite tools, testers, ground-based training systems, full-motion simulators, and avionics and spare parts. ■

HAL should not get any contract until they can design, develop and churn out their own quality jets.

Bloody jokers. Desh ko bewakoof banate aa rahe hain itne saal se.

Ah this is getting sad hindustan can't even design and produce its own basic turboprop Trainer even Serbians can do it.

Sad even a country of 180 million cannot make a moped yet.
For your Information google HPT-32

You are mistaken if you are brilliant you should have got my point, modern basic trainer likes Piltus 7/9, T-6II, Tucano and many more.

About 180m population on the otherside of the border try not to bring it in or people may post 60% are without toilets in hindustan, now stick to topic clown.

You are mistaken if you are brilliant you should have got my point, modern basic trainer likes Piltus 7/9, T-6II, Tucano and many more.

About 180m population on the otherside of the border try not to bring it in or people may post 60% are without toilets in hindustan, now stick to topic clown.

Then you should also not got my point. For off topic your nation also have same percentage of population who didn't have toilet.

Then you should also not got my point. For off topic your nation also have same percentage of population who didn't have toilet.

Nope wrong information propaganda against Pakistan, don't need to explain more open another Thread for it.

You got burned when I said sad hindustan have not yet [though I gave a discount by not saying can't] develop product [modern] as such and I mentioned specifically a poor country like Serbia and their product, learn to hold you horses learn to be patient don't always jump with verbal diarrhea. Not to mention hal hjt-36 still not a successful product with 17th year under its belt compared to IA-63 Pampa.

Ah this is getting sad hindustan can't even design and produce its own basic turboprop Trainer even Serbians can do it.
You are right, unfortunately our biggest achievement is still dividing Pakistan into two during 1971. But we will develop a basic turbo prop trainer soon.

Can pak make anything at all ? it can't even make EURO -IV engines , bus /trucks or cars......

Nope wrong information propaganda against Pakistan, don't need to explain more open another Thread for it.

You got burned when I said sad hindustan have not yet [though I gave a discount by not saying can't] develop product [modern] as such and I mentioned specifically a poor country like Serbia and their product, learn to hold you horses learn to be patient don't always jump with verbal diarrhea. Not to mention hal hjt-36 still not a successful product with 17th year under its belt compared to IA-63 Pampa.

When you give this example then you forget that same HAL design HJT-16 & HPT-32 serves four decades in IAF.

You are right, unfortunately our biggest achievement is still dividing Pakistan into two during 1971. But we will develop a basic turbo prop trainer soon.
yes and from 47 till now, we have been sitting on "YOUR" Kashmir and you were able to do nothing about it LOL

yes and from 47 till now, we have been sitting on "YOUR" Kashmir and you were able to do nothing about it LOL

Yes, we did nothing because we don't want to do anything about it, we could but we don't care. But in the same sense since 47, think how many times "YOU" have tried to do anything about "OUR" Kashmir...:rofl::rofl:...all failed.:tdown:

Yes, we did nothing because we don't want to do anything about it, we could but we don't care. But in the same sense since 47, think how many times "YOU" have tried to do anything about "OUR" Kashmir...:rofl::rofl:...all failed.:tdown:
freedom fighters have been making you miserable, no?

Back
Top Bottom