What's new

India, US plan to join hands to counter Chinese influence in Africa

but forgetting isn't an option either for a proud people.

Well the British aren't exactly glorified in our books, but their bad deeds are deadened to some extent.

It's more like "the British empire was evil, now they're gone good riddance" rather than "death to evil colonists !"

but forgetting isn't an option either for a proud people.

Oh... we have not forgotten about the British atrocities in India... but what @justanobserver said was that a lot of the course materials are subdued and lot of WW I/II material is filtered out.
But that does not prevent the curiosity of a young mind to explore out of the box ... isnt it. :-) After all we all came to know the realities despite having gone through the same system.

Well the British aren't exactly glorified in our books, but their bad deeds are deadened to some extent.

It's more like "the British empire was evil, now they're gone good riddance" rather than "death to evil colonists !"

Hmmm I prefer the second slogan better but since Queen Elizabeth II is technically still my head of state, I guess I'll try to let it go ;)

There is a reason for that; it is rather pointless to repeatedly regurgitate the past, while at least being smart enough to derive the lessons necessary.
Otherwise we are liable (as we can often see around us here) to remain hostage to the past.

Case in point: (i'm saying this only because the discussants on this sub-topic are IMO, wise enough) the Sino-Indian situation (including the dispute). Many people here (who were'nt even born in 1962) sound off so vociferously on the basis of little (second hand) knowledge.

Conclusion: History can be treated either like science as purely empirical facts (albeit complete facts) or be treated as literature, bordering on fiction or somewhere in between.
Ah, there lies the rub.

Some times it is better to see things deadened to some extent. Life moves on, but history really does not. It is a thing of the past. Useful but not over-riding.

There is a reason for that; it is rather pointless to repeatedly regurgitate the past, while at least being smart enough to derive the lessons necessary.
Otherwise we are liable (as we can often see around us here) to remain hostage to the past.

Case in point: (i'm saying this only because the discussants on this sub-topic are IMO, wise enough) the Sino-Indian situation (including the dispute). Many people here (who were'nt even born in 1962) sound off so vociferously on the basis of little (second hand) knowledge.

Conclusion: History can be treated either like science as purely empirical facts (albeit complete facts) or be treated as literature, bordering on fiction or somewhere in between.
Ah, there lies the rub.

Some times it is better to see things deadened to some extent. Life moves on, but history really does not. It is a thing of the past. Useful but not over-riding.

Hmmm I know that this subject has been talked to death but I'll just make one point. I would to see the Indian government put the Sino-Indian war into the history curriculum. From what other Indian members here have told me is that there is no mention of the war in schools right up until upper year university. What little information people do learn on their own comes from youtube and journalists (most of whom believe in the Nehru version of history)

Asians keep arguing and fighting, and let the west play us around, don't you forget who colonized you for centuries? anyone believe the west will care about asians?

Asians keep arguing and fighting, and let the western play us around, don't you forget who colonized you for centuries?

I believe you'll find that western oppression was the topic of discussion in the last two pages of this thread.

If you look at our history narrative, it is unfortunately the Congress narrative with a nod to Bhagat Singh and to S.C. Bose. I don't deny that the Congress played a critical role in India's independence but so did a lot of others. If we as a nation forget them, it is not their misfortune, but ours.

if india-china going to sustain 8-10% industrial growth rate , they need market for their products...

it not about influence..but more to due with grab the markets for economic gains..

if india-china going to sustain 8-10% industrial growth rate , they need market for their products...

it not about influence..but more to due with grab the markets for economic gains..

Doing business with no political string will gain large share of market, of course there are other factors like price and quality, putting political conditions will restrict trade volume. Thus political influence attempted by USA and India will have very little relevance to counter China-Africa trade.

China's trade in Africal are mainly business, China need raw material from Africa, and Africa need affordable consumable goods from China, it works both way, just business, no politics.

Back
Top Bottom