What's new

India unveils $2bn (€1.5bn) new airport terminal

How is investing in lavish architecture going to improve the efficiency and user experience of the passengers?

Brother, structures are not made daily and they are permanent little bit money spent on beautification won't hurt much.

Making it big and increasing efficiency is one thing, and wasting money on irrelevant architecture and decoration is another.
You're country is earning a lot from Tourism. If tourists are gonna have tough time at Airports believe me they will take next flight to their home country

You're country is earning a lot from Tourism. If tourists are gonna have tough time at Airports believe me they will take next flight to their home country

It's not about the architecture of the airport alone that would help earning revenue from tourism, the roads are in tethers, there are no security for foreign tourists, and the list for discouraging tourists to come to India goes on and on. Without investing in the basic infrastructure, just making a lavish airport won't work.

Brother, structures are not made daily and they are permanent little bit money spent on beautification won't hurt much.

The amount is not little bit for sure, or i'm unable to comprehend your financial status. :)

mumbai airport was so far handling enuff passengers........so it can handle some more also

i am not saying.....dont invest...........if required then expand the size or create a new one
but here the case is different i guess..........no Indian airpost has made it to top 100 airports and perhaps that is the only reason the govt. is spending so much.....

can u tell me how a lavish airport earns more money???????

here we are investing 12000crore rupees......is it really worth it?????????
earlier capability was 12 million and was handling 16.

no way it can handle any more.

mumbai is congested ,land is limited .one has to anticipate future needs as well.

mumbai airport was so far handling enuff passengers........so it can handle some more also

i am not saying.....dont invest...........if required then expand the size or create a new one
but here the case is different i guess..........no Indian airpost has made it to top 100 airports and perhaps that is the only reason the govt. is spending so much.....

can u tell me how a lavish airport earns more money???????

here we are investing 12000crore rupees......is it really worth it?????????
WHAT!!

Mumbai airport handling enough passengers? It's so congested than a Shopping mall atleast now atmosphere will be far better.

Do you think airlines land on airports for free? they are charged money for everything, even for handling passenger bags. Shopping malls inside airports need to pay money to government. "THERE ARE SO MANY"

It's a long time investment rather than a short term.

i can only wish that its worth the money........... :yes4:
you maybe right....... it may benefit us in the long term :cheers:

Tourists visit country, not airport which is for transit. Most US airports are old, but it's still the top destination for tourism,

Sure, a grand airport is better than a crappy one, but an overly lavish one makes no $ sense if revenue from tourists and travelers can't justify the building, operation and maintenance cost.

Last edited:
#The Chhatrapati Shivaji
International Airport (CSIA) has been ranked as one of the top performing airports in the annual ACI Airport Service Quality Awards for 2012.

#The T2 covers an area of over1400 acres. Granite that can cover 27 football fields, and over 18000 metric tonnes of steel have been used in its construction.

#It has been rated the third best airport worldwide for airports in the 25-40 million
passengers per annum(mppa) category by the Airports Council International (ACI). Terminal 2 has a retail space spread across 21,000 sq. mts and 5,000 sq. mts of landscape area.

#With 41 travelators, people can easily move about in the airport.

#The departure gate lounge has a seating capacity of 10,000.

#A 6 lane elevated express way leading to the Terminal is another big highlight.

#Making it easy for travellers, the T2 will have 188 check-in counters, 60 departure immigration counters and 76 arrival immigration counters.

#Terminal 2 will also have 25 fixed link bridges and 52
passenger boarding bridges.
The magnificent artworks
adorning the walls will be an
added attraction.

#T2 will have 47 escalators and 73 elevators to make travel a pleasant experience.

#The Terminal 2 will have 104 security check positions and 10 baggage carousels.

#The new terminal will have a multi-level car park for 5,000 cars.

#The new terminal will have
2300 CCTV cameras for
passenger safety and 4100
public address speakers.

Last edited:
Tourists visit country, not airport which is for transit. Most US airports are old, but it's still the top destination for tourism,

Sure, a grand airport is better than a crappy one, but an overly lavish one makes no $ sense if revenue from tourists and travelers can't justify the building, operation and maintenance cost.

mumbai airport was crappy earlier

Is that fully slum encroached land around CSIA also owned by AAI???

US airports were best in class during cold war days. They don't have to built the infrastructure anymore. They just need to update their equipment. They are saving money.

Moreover those decorated pillars are not decoration but they hold the entire roof weight.

It's not about the architecture of the airport alone that would help earning revenue from tourism, the roads are in tethers, there are no security for foreign tourists, and the list for discouraging tourists to come to India goes on and on. Without investing in the basic infrastructure, just making a lavish airport won't work.

The amount is not little bit for sure, or i'm unable to comprehend your financial status. :)

Bro by little bit I meant extra money spent on beautification. Structural cost of terminal having area of more that 6,00,00,000 sq feet itself is too much. Then there are various security apparatus , various other mechanized systems, electrification and all such things.

Last edited:
wastage in the sense......it wasnt required to make it in such a lavish way.......i live in a tier 3 city and my airport is not that costly but its gud enuff........

i would have been more happy if they have invested that sum in opening some IITs or a new software hub or some medical college.......

12000crore rupees is too much for a airport(my personal opininon)
It's private money.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom