India unveils its $2 billion new airport terminal in Mumbai

15gvk10a.jpg

15gvk11b.jpg

15gvk12a.jpg

15gvk13a.jpg

15gvk14b.jpg

cc: originally posted by Heven_blr on skyscrapercity.com; all rights reserved

No, we dont.
Calcutta and Chennai airports are horrible as standards go for major cities worldwide.

Yes we do. The standards of these terminals will improve considerably once CCU and MAA are privatised. Compared to what we've had in the past, the current crop of tier 2 and 3 city terminals are a LOT better, even under the AAI. Of course, the standards of the aforementioned terminals aren't at par with T3, T2, HKG, or SIN, but once privatised, all will be well.

Chennai airport especially needs to be very good as it is the 3rd most used airport in India and considering that the Japanese are investing ridiculous amounts in Tamil Nadu, it needs to be as good as DIAL or MIAL(T2).

I have full faith that Calcutta and Madras airports will evolve into world class terminals in the near future.

Plus have you seen the Lucknow airport?

Not recently, no. Have you seen the new terminal in Goa? Have you used Udaipur's new terminal? Have you checked out Srinagar airport? I'm aware that we have a long way to go, but there have been massive improvements over the last couple of years, and there's lots more to come, so stay tuned.

Last edited:
Yes we do. The standards of these terminals will improve considerably once CCU and MAA are privatised. Compared to what we've had in the past, the current crop of tier 2 and 3 city terminals are a LOT better, even under the AAI. Of course, the standards of the aforementioned terminals aren't at par with T3, T2, HKG, or SIN, but once privatised, all will be well.

I have full faith that Calcutta and Madras airports will evolve into world class terminals in the near future.
That is exactly my point. Chennai and Calcutta should have been privatized and built anew by now. The fact that the process of privatization has not even started means that they will take atleast 7 more years before they are modernized.

That is unacceptable.

Not recently, no. Have you seen the new terminal in Goa? Have you used Udaipur's new terminal? Have you checked out Srinagar airport? I'm aware that we have a ing way to go, but there have been massive improvements over the last couple of years, and there's lots more to come, so stay tuned.
Not Goa, but yes, I have used the new terminal in Udaipur. It was good for a Tier 3 city.
Infact all Tier 3 cities are getting good airports and on time.

Its the Tier 1 and 2 where we are late.We are a day late and a dollar short.
The main airports of India - that means Chennai, Cal, should have been done by now. Infact all the State capitals.

We can only wait.

15gvk15a.jpg

15gvk16a.jpg

15gvk17a.jpg

15gvk18a.jpg

cc: originally posted by Heven_blr on skyscrapercity.com; all rights reserved

That is exactly my point. Chennai and Calcutta should have been privatized and built anew by now. The fact that the process of privatization has not even started means that they will take atleast 7 more years before they are modernised. That is unacceptable.

There's a lot that should've been ages ago, that wasn't. Well, better late than never no? I hope the process of privatisation starts soon, but I disagree with the 7 year timeframe; I can assure you that the modernisation of CCU and MAA's new terminals will be finished a lot sooner. :)

Last edited:
Excellent work Indians.. You should be extremely proud. I had a stopover at Indira Gandhi Airport last year, it had been refurbished and looked decent but this one really is something else!

An airport leaves a massive impression on travellers. I feel a bit depressed when i arrive back at Heathrow nowadays - it looks really tired.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom