What's new

India to test subsonic cruise missile in February

Engine for nirbhay comes from Russia
So does the guide fe system

Sir, I cannot comment definitively upon the Babur system but your information regarding Nirbhay is incorrect.

HAL-developed+turbofan+for+Nirbhay.jpg

Above is the image of the engine module of the Nirbhay cruise missile which has been developed by the Bengaluru-based Engine Test Bed Research & Development Centre (ETBRDC).

As far as the guidance systems are concerned, they too have been developed and produced in-country. I can provide the data-sheets and pictures for the same. I'll have to dig up my files for them failing which I will have to depend upon Prasun Sengupta's presentation on the system (which is one of the surprisingly accurate ones). The singular analyst who claimed that the engines were provided by NPO in Russia is Ajai Shukla and this was the same man who was convinced that the Nirbhay would be akin to a missile simulating drone and his analysis was based on his assumption that the Nirbhay would be based on the Lakshay PTA- his assumptions and analysis have been debunked multiple times by official statements from DRDO, MOD and other analysts.

The range increase on the Babur is speculative at the moment, let us wait for a test otherwise it would be akin to me stating that certain Chinese analysts were cent percent accurate in claiming that the A-5 has a range of 8000km. Documented tests are required otherwise there is no conclusive information. If any increased-range tests have occurred and you are aware of them then please post the relevant articles/pics/videos.

As far as the CM-400AKG is concerned, it is not hyper-sonic :-

CM-400AKG+ASM+Poster.jpg

It is yet to be operational with the PAF while our armed forces have already modified the guidance programming of the Brahmos system and are currently inducting its 3rd iteration. To compare the two without advance deployments and PAF carrier vehicles extensively testing and inducting the CM-400 would be akin to me stating that the our under-construction scorpene submarines are out to sink PN's Agostas.

Please clarify your facts before posting.

Sir, I cannot comment definitively upon the Babur system but your information regarding Nirbhay is incorrect.

Above is the image of the engine module of the Nirbhay cruise missile which has been developed by the Bengaluru-based Engine Test Bed Research & Development Centre (ETBRDC).

As far as the guidance systems are concerned, they too have been developed and produced in-country. I can provide the data-sheets and pictures for the same. I'll have to dig up my files for them failing which I will have to depend upon Prasun Sengupta's presentation on the system (which is one of the surprisingly accurate ones). The singular analyst who claimed that the engines were provided by NPO in Russia is Ajai Shukla and this was the same man who was convinced that the Nirbhay would be akin to a missile simulating drone and his analysis was based on his assumption that the Nirbhay would be based on the Lakshay PTA- his assumptions and analysis have been debunked multiple times by official statements from DRDO, MOD and other analysts.

The range increase on the Babur is speculative at the moment, let us wait for a test otherwise it would be akin to me stating that certain Chinese analysts were cent percent accurate in claiming that the A-5 has a range of 8000km. Documented tests are required otherwise there is no conclusive information. If any increased-range tests have occurred and you are aware of them then please post the relevant articles/pics/videos.

As far as the CM-400AKG is concerned, it is not hyper-sonic :-

It is yet to be operational with the PAF while our armed forces have already modified the guidance programming of the Brahmos system and are currently inducting its 3rd iteration. To compare the two without advance deployments and PAF carrier vehicles extensively testing and inducting the CM-400 would be akin to me stating that the our under-construction scorpene submarines are out to sink PN's Agostas.

Please clarify your facts before posting.

@Dillinger,
You are just arguing with a Junior T.T. who happens to be a Junior Troll Tank.
Now let me tell you about the engine. Last year I did a Plant Assessment/Factory Visit for ISO certification reasons to where the Turbines are fabricated in India. Its an extremely sophisticated SME. It even other exports Mil-Spec parts to Israel. Now I have a turbine blade as a souvenir of that visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Dillinger,
You are just arguing with a Junior T.T. who happens to be a Junior Troll Tank.
Now let me tell you about the engine. Last year I did a Plant Assessment/Factory Visit for ISO certification reasons to where the Turbines are fabricated in India. Its an extremely sophisticated SME. It even other exports Mil-Spec parts to Israel. Now I have a turbine blade as a souvenir of that visit.

Sir he is a senior member, as are you, hence I cannot designate him as a troll. On the K-15 thread Safriz Sir has posted various relevant facts/pieces/questions and my interaction with him has been limited to these two threads.

You're rather lucky, the turbine blade will make a fine addition to the showcase at home, no? I guess your occupation has granted you opportunities to closely look at many such projects- for amateur defence jingos like me that is a highly enviable position. Could you possibly shed some light on the production line efficiency of such plants? I've always wondered how come our production lines for our missiles are so efficient while the less technically sophisticated systems such as the Arjun are said to be considered inferior mainly because of poor production standards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir he is a senior member, as are you, hence I cannot designate him as a troll. On the K-15 thread Safriz Sir has posted various relevant facts/pieces/questions and my interaction with him has been limited to these two threads.

You're rather lucky, the turbine blade will make a fine addition to the showcase at home, no? I guess your occupation has granted you opportunities to closely look at many such projects- for amateur defence jingos like me that is a highly enviable position. Could you possibly shed some light on the production line efficiency of such plants? I've always wondered how come our production lines for our missiles are so efficient while the less technically sophisticated systems such as the Arjun are said to be considered inferior mainly because of poor production standards.

This particular SME is in the private sector and very efficient. It met (even exceeded) the standards set by the Intl. Assessment Agency. They got their re-certification.

So are the production standards varied simply because this particular SME is private while most of the equipment manufacturers and integrator for the Arjun and other such projects are DPSUs? Is it simply because of the ever existent and 'talked to death about' inefficiency of certain DPSUs when it comes to translating DRDO designs into tangible items? I apologize for detracting from the topic of the thread and I thank you for speedily answering my query.

whether Nirbhay is Stealth or not is the question? if it is Stealthy it would be great.

we need to Increase in numbers of the tank, howitzers and battle field missiles like prithvi, agni-1 shaurya, prahaar for the real war. no need to worry for use in war. Nuke missiles are the show pieces till not used. however they are good to threat but if use makes the nightmares for all. least chances that those missiles are use in war. so need those which are really used. so the Nirbhay. "Quality with the Quantity" and yes i forget the brahmos in my list for the quantity aspect.

The airlaunched version by definition is some 500kg lighter and shorter, since it won't be needing the launch-booster that the surface launch version uses....

Yes, but still would be too heavy for the wingstations, the lighter version that will be developed could be closer to KAB 1500, but have a smaller warhead than the current Brahmos air version.

Russia to supply engines for India's Lakshya UAVs

India has contract with NPO-Saturn for Technology Transfer of TRDD-50MT engine and recently bought enough of these engines from the company..
With Dry thrust of 500KG the engine is enough for a Nirbhay sized Cruise missile...

So even if the engine is being made in house,its a Russian Design being produced under License not an indigenous engine..

India has contract with NPO-Saturn for Technology Transfer of TRDD-50MT engine and recently bought enough of these engines from the company..
With Dry thrust of 500KG the engine is enough for a Nirbhay sized Cruise missile...

So even if the engine is being made in house,its a Russian Design being produced under License not an indigenous engine..

Pakistan should test some missile soon.

The recent test of Indian missiles has sure made you uneasy .......:D

Some facts/news on Nirbahy..

Project Update

On January 25, 2013, PTI reported the DRDO chief VK Sarswat as saying the missile would be tested in February.

"[The missile] is in the final stage of integration and we expect to launch it next month”, Mr. Saraswat said.

Saraswat claimed the missile has good loitering capability, good control and guidance, high degree of accuracy in terms of impact and very good stealth features.

ADE Director P S Krishnan said Nirbhay would be launched from Integrated Test Range at Chandipur in Orissa.

On September 14, The Hindu quoted DRDO chief VK Sarswat as saying the missile would be tested in October or November 2012.

On September 5, 2012, TOI reported that the missile would be tested from Wheeler Island in October 2012.

DRDO director general V K Saraswat told TOI that the missile with a turbo jet is now ready to be test-fired.

"It is a highly advanced missile with strong capabilities. We have made an assessment of it and we are almost prepared for a test launch," Saraswat said.

In March 2012, a DRDO official told The Hindu that the missile will be tested in early April 2012.

In November 2011, a DRDO official told PTI, "We are looking to test-fire the new sub-sonic cruise missile in the first quarter of 2012."

On February 11, during Aero India 2011, Defense Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) chief VK Saraswat said the Nirbhay was almost in place and it would be ready by early next year.

“Integration of the engine is under way,” he said.

First test flight is expected in 2012, Saraswat said.

On April 11, 2010, DRDO Chief Dr V K Saraswat said, "[The] missile is getting into some shape."

He was in Bangalore to deliver the keynote address at a national convention on 'The Frontiers of Aeronautical Technologies', organised by the Aeronautical Society of India.

On February 2010, DRDO Chief said that Nirbhay has not reached integration stage, but development is on.

"The development of the system is on. We have completed the propulsion system's design. But we have not integrated it.

Once we reach the integration stage, we will show it you," he told reporters.

Thats New, Lakshya Mk-1 was using an ADE Engine and the MK-2 is using an HAL engine. I dont think this deal would have went through fearing the MTCR.

Thats New, Lakshya Mk-1 was using an ADE Engine and the MK-2 is using an HAL engine. I dont think this deal would have went through fearing the MTCR.

Thats what they report for "Public consumption".
But looking at the desperation of small Russian Firms for grabbing Indian money and India's capability of Diplomacy......Its likely that TOT did happen.

They also want loitering capability for Nirbhay and for that GSAT-7 will have to be up and running..
Has it been launched?

Back
Top Bottom