What's new

India to strengthen Andaman and Nicobar Command

World's largest aircraft carrier is now-Andaman and Nicobar Islands.:azn:

Just that it don't carry many aircrafts. Fighters are not planned, high value aircrafts like P8I will be based at mainland bases as well, just like IAC1 is meant to cover the Bay of Bengal area and further to the east . A&N will have air strips and facilities to operate aircrafts if needed, but mainly will be used to give logistical support to extend the range of operations.
The weather conditions and the risk that the area can be easily effected by natural disasters, makes it difficult to use it as a big and permanent base, besides the fact that China is not lying next the A&N either as the article suggest.

The weather conditions and the risk that the area can be easily effected by natural disasters, makes it difficult to use it as a big and permanent base, besides the fact that China is not lying next the A&N either as the article suggest.

That part is not correct. Take a close look at a topographical map of the Island Chain. There is high ground even, mountains; just as there are large deep-water sheltered anchorages there. The largest ships in the IN can anchor there.
The Bases there can do nothing to China; unless one bases ICBMs there.
But they are suitably poised to interdict SLOCs. The reason that Imperial Britain set up Bases in Gibraltar, Aden and Singapore among others.

That part is not correct. Take a close look at a topographical map of the Island Chain. There is high ground even, mountains; just as there are large deep-water sheltered anchorages there. The largest ships in the IN can anchor there.
The Bases there can do nothing to China; unless one bases ICBMs there.
But they are suitably poised to interdict SLOCs. The reason that Imperial Britain set up Bases in Gibraltar, Aden and Singapore among others.
I think he is talking about air strip. Didn't existing air strip was hit badly by tsunami.

I think he is talking about air strip. Didn't existing air strip was hit badly by tsunami.

That was only one air-strip in the islands. Just see where its located at! Then look at all the other air-strips, the existing ones to start with and later the projected ones.

Now since this report is about Naval Bases; do also take a look at the Harbors. As well as the lay of the land around them. The experience may be enlightening.

That was only one air-strip in the islands. Just see where its located at! Then look at all the other air-strips, the existing ones to start with and later the projected ones.

Now since this report is about Naval Bases; do also take a look at the Harbors. As well as the lay of the land around them. The experience may be enlightening.
Honestly I didnt know there are more than one strip !!!
Last I know was Ministry of Environment rejecting one radar site and high ground air strip.
Can you point me to something about "projected" ones ???

I dont have any doubt about Harbour/s location. You cant find better and safe sites than in group of islands.

Yes, but we can't forego the strategic advantage of such a location because of that one event. A tsunami is a once in a lifetime thing; and in the very unlikely event of another tsunami striking the same place, there are plenty of early warning mechanisms set up in the IOR to give the forces adequate time to evacuate. I believe the SOP for ships is to sail out into the sea from harbour. If an airstrip is destroyed in a tsunami, it can be rebuilt. I'm sure the cost of doing so will be more than made up for by the benefits it brings.

And still the air bases were severly damaged during the Tsunami, or that high grounds will be as effected by cyclones as lower grounds, let alone that the whole area towards Indonesia are earthquake effected.
All these things are reasons why IAF does not place fighters and A&N anymore and provide cover for the Islands and the Bay of Bengal from their shore bases with newly raised MKI squads.
And who said IN ships couldn't anchor there?

Yes, but we can't forego the strategic advantage of such a location because of that one event. A tsunami is a once in a lifetime thing; and in the very unlikely event of another tsunami striking the same place, there are plenty of early warning mechanisms set up in the IOR to give the forces adequate time to evacuate. I believe the SOP for ships is to sail out into the sea from harbour. If an airstrip is destroyed in a tsunami, it can be rebuilt. I'm sure the cost of doing so will be more than made up for by the benefits it brings.
First thing I am not against it ;)
I really don't think tsunami can be predicted precisely may be with some better models in future can do that.

Its not about rebuilding airstrip but the cost of assets that could be destroyed in that process fighters , air refulers or P-8Is costly enough. So we need strip in high lands.

One of the major consequences of improving the military capability of ANC would be enhancement of concerns of the littoral states and the international community due to the strategic nature of Malacca Straits. Enhanced militarization of this strategic choke point would tend to seriously undermine the strategic balance that exists in the region. Shifting of military balance in favour of India would place India in a position wherein it could exercise control of this important world commons, which goes against the US and western endeavours at keeping these strategic routes free of undue interference. The littoral states including US and China would raise their concerns when India would acquire a military capability beyond the anti-piracy resources needed to keep the commons free.

I think India would be very very careful when and if such a plan is given a go-ahead. Publishing of such a news may just be a la Russian ploy to gain other politico-economic favours by India.

And still the air bases were severly damaged during the Tsunami, or that high grounds will be as effected by cyclones as lower grounds, let alone that the whole area towards Indonesia are earthquake effected.
All these things are reasons why IAF does not place fighters and A&N anymore and provide cover for the Islands and the Bay of Bengal from their shore bases with newly raised MKI squads.
And who said IN ships couldn't anchor there?

IAF fighters rotate there in detachments because the IAF has just one air-strip there. And no infrastructure there for Sukhois; it also helps that the Sukhois have long legs that reach there.

In case that you did not notice yet; let me tell you: that the damage in the islands took place due to the Tsunami, not the earth-quake which had triggered the Tsunami.
Tell me about damage to the A&N chain during earth-quakes that has been historically recorded.
The damage in the Tsunami was in some islands (on some sides of them) in the Nicobars. Since I've been to the islands a number of times, I've seen how the habitations have re-located post Tsunami from what I had seen in the past. Including the particular Island in Nicobar that was hardest hit.

But tell me what was the damage in PBLR during the Tsunami, for instance? During the Cyclone Season; ships have historically sought and found refuge in Bays and Inlets between the Islands. That shelter is available in few ports on the east Coast of India.

Just one idea seems to have fixated in your mind.

IAF fighters rotate there in detachments because the IAF has just one air-strip there. And no infrastructure there for Sukhois; it also helps that the Sukhois have long legs that reach there.

First of all they operated Flankers there before and secondly it is easier to set up the infrastructure for a fighter on an already available base, instead of raising a complete new base for that reason. But the fact is, IAF has decided not to use A&N air strips as permanent bases, exactly because of the mentioned points and instead raises new squads at Kalaikunda and Thanjavur.

In case that you did not notice yet; let me tell you: that the damage in the islands took place due to the Tsunami, not the earth-quake which had triggered the Tsunami.

Which wasn't possible anyway, since it was an under water earthquake, but it caused the Tsunami and when the area of Indonesia is known as an highly active, it's logical that the risks for more such disasters are higher too, especially compared to the bases on Indian mainland. So you have to take these risks or even the weather conditions (Storms and Cyclones not unusual there either) to account, when talking about setting up permanent air bases there and that's what IAF / MoD did, when they decided against fully fledged air bases, like it was planned earlier.

First of all they operated Flankers there before and secondly it is easier to set up the infrastructure for a fighter on an already available base, instead of raising a complete new base for that reason. But the fact is, IAF has decided not to use A&N air strips as permanent bases, exactly because of the mentioned points and instead raises new squads at Kalaikunda and Thanjavur.

Which wasn't possible anyway, since it was an under water earthquake, but it caused the Tsunami and when the area of Indonesia is known as an highly active, it's logical that the risks for more such disasters are higher too, especially compared to the bases on Indian mainland. So you have to take these risks or even the weather conditions (Storms and Cyclones not unusual there either) to account, when talking about setting up permanent air bases there and that's what IAF / MoD did, when they decided against fully fledged air bases, like it was planned earlier.

As usual you are simply making generic and blanket statements.

In your previous post you said:
And still the air bases were severly damaged during the Tsunami, or that high grounds will be as effected by cyclones as lower grounds.

Which other Air-Strip apart from the one at Car-Nic was damaged? And its not the only one in the chain of islands. :-)
Tsunamis are caused only by under-water earth-quakes. But Sumatra has had numerous quakes including the major one in Aceh. What was the resulltant damage in the A&N Islands?
Cyclones hit that area regularly, many times a year esp at this time of the year. Even Phailin passed from there. What was the last damage that you heard of?
So what is new or unusual? that will deter MoD and IN from beefing up their presence there. Nothing.
That is why the report which has formed the basis of thread has appeared in print. A&N is slated to grow even more in strategic importance than ever before.

Oh, btw; the Flankers will operate there in Op. Detts.; not because they operated there before but because they can reach there easily. That was also the reason why they were operated there earlier instead of other aircraft.

Andaman and Nicobar Islands should be ours. Moron Pakistani Politicians did not make good deal with British :pissed:

So you want Andaman and Nicobar.......and we want BD....;)

Then let's make a deal, you give us BD, we'll give you A&N.....:woot:

India was preparing to deploy Su30 air crafts there, but I don't know the current status of this deployment!!!!
Nope, the IAF doesn't plan on deploying fighter SQDs there on a permanent basis. But they do rotate fighter SQDs through the A&N islands so there is fighter cover there for most of the year.

Back
Top Bottom