What's new

India to strengthen Andaman and Nicobar Command

I wonder how the natives view this.

But the again, they have pretty much become zoological artifices for tourism.

Don't feed the jarawas.

There aren't any Jarawas in the Nicobar group of islands. The indigenous Nicobarese are a Mon-Khmer speaking group(look East-Asian as well)on Car Nicobar and have already embraced "civilization"(the way we see it, i.e).

There aren't any Jarawas in the Nicobar group of islands. The indigenous Nicobarese are a Mon-Khmer speaking group(look East-Asian as well)on Car Nicobar and have already embraced "civilization"(the way we see it, i.e).

Capt.popeye said it before, and I knew this.

But thank you for educating me

I wasn't being sarcastic by the way! I didn't the latter part of the information. I thank you for it :-)

You're welcome:). Had been to Andaman last year. A pity they don't allow any tourists to the Nicobar Islands.

:lol: Actually, you reacted to a discussion about using A&N as an aircraft carrier with fighters of IAF.

Since when did the IAF start operating Aircraft Carriers???? :whistle:
AFAIK, only the IN does that and the report also speaks of the IN.

Last edited:
You're welcome:). Had been to Andaman last year. A pity they don't allow any tourists to the Nicobar Islands.

There are a number of reasons for that. Just one of them is the bad experiences in the Andamans since commercial tourism was allowed there. GoI has tried to be careful on this score also in the Lakshadweep Is. now.

Since when did the IAF start operating Aircraft Carriers???? :whistle:
AFAIK, only the IN does that and the report also speaks of the IN.

Lol shying away from the facts, after proven wrong. :enjoy:
Again, the point was about using A&N as a carrier => meaning that fighters will be used from it and that would be done by IAF obviously as they still have the control for air defence as well as maritime attack from Indian land bases!

Lol shying away from the facts, after proven wrong. :enjoy:
Again, the point was about using A&N as a carrier => meaning that fighters will be used from it and that would be done by IAF obviously as they still have the control for air defence as well as maritime attack from Indian land bases!

Oh, man; you are determined to make me laugh!
Aw, go on man........just as you digressed from the original report in post#1 which was about the Navy. If you CAN; then go back to read it.

Just to point you again in the right direction: the following is the first para of that report

Then when you came up with some "airy-fairy" stories about how all the air-bases and facilities were damaged in the Tsunami and are also liable to be damaged in earth-quakes; I corrected you with the facts on the ground.
While you quoted some Newspaper Reports.
I have served there and been through the islands numerous times, the last time to the Nicobar Is. was two years ago and have seen what has been reconstructed and what is in the offing; including on the island of Katchall which suffered the maximum damage. And what the Tsunami did, no earthquake or cyclone has done so far; nowhere near it.
Why don't you do some research to find out what happened to the air-field at Port Blair or to the Army Garrison at Ross Island on the day of the Tsunami for instance.
Maybe some Newspaper Report will tell you that ?

Just like a Newspaper Report told you that the INS Chakra navigated the Singapore and Malacca Straits submerged and undetected on her maiden voyage to Vishakhapatnam!

Read that original report further; in para 5
For instance, in 2012, the Navy operationalised INS Baaz, an airbase at Campbell Bay at the very northern tip of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. It overlooks the Malacca Strait through which the crucial Sea Lane of Communication (SLOC) connecting China to the rest of the world passes through. Although the naval airbase is in operation, efforts to increase the runway and turn INS Baaz into full-fledged air base hasn't materialised yet.
Now also read para 6:
Similarly, the Navy wants bigger fuel, ordnance and storage dumps. But in the last 13 years, plans to make the ANC a forward outpost of India capable of repairing, equipping and launching ships and aircrafts for missions hasn't come up.

All of that indicates clearly (as I said) that this issue concerns the IN; not the IAF.

However, also notice that the para 5 quoted from this Newspaper Report, places Campbell Bay "at the very northern tip of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands". !!! That is not where Campbell Bay is located.
Then a person like you will feed on this staple (but erroneus) information to glibly trot out some argument later. That is the hazard of relying on "unprofessional and unauthenticated information" which is scarcely better than some hear-say.

Just as you could not understand that depths in the heavily trafficked Singapore and Malacca Straits do not allow a sub to transit submerged, because of some Newspaper Report. Not to mention that provisions of UNCLOS govern transit of Warships through Littoral waters; even more so stringently in case of Nuclear Reactor carrying Warships.

Of course the Internet can easily create "Armchair Admirals" or "Airy Aviators" or "Giddy Generals"
out of any Charlie; who can "cut-copy-paste" some information, never mind the source.

LOLL, I really admire your persistence in pursuing your fixations; but the facts are different.
Just watch what happens in the future. :-)

just as you digressed from the original report in post#1 which was about the Navy.

Funny how you try to justify yourself, espcially since I didn't replied to the first post at all, but about using fighters at A&N. You joint that discussion with the wrong impression and now blame me?

I have served there

Having served there doesn't change the facts that IAF officials and even the DM clearly stated, only because it doesn't suit your "informed"opinion. And the fact remains, there was a clear change of policy on placing fighters or even high value assets at A&N before the disaster and after, no matter if you like it or not. When the word of every ex military personell would be the plain thruth, Indian media would be far more credible, but that isn't the case as we all know. You can remain with your opinion, but that still doesn't make IAF nor IN place any fighters there.

@Capt.Popeye @sancho please stop punching each other !!!! It isn't really helping anybody. Or least to me.

Lets draw the lines again.
1. @sancho is saying the IAF's plan to have a permanent base in A&N chain is Scrapped
@Capt.Popeye is saying its not.

2. And if I am not wrong @Capt.Popeye is trying to say there will be permanent airbase operated by IN ????

Answers please. No punches ;)

@Capt.Popeye @sancho please stop punching each other !!!! It isn't really helping anybody. Or least to me.

Lets draw the lines again.
1. @sancho is saying the IAF's plan to have a permanent base in A&N chain is Scrapped
@Capt.Popeye is saying its not.

2. And if I am not wrong @Capt.Popeye is trying to say there will be permanent airbase operated by IN ????

Answers please. No punches ;)

@Sergi; I have said so in many of my posts and I will put it on record again:
The IN is poised to operate air-assets on an expanding and continuing basis from the A&N Islands ALONGSIDE an expanding and continuing surface presence there. That is precisely what the the OP is referring to. The A&N Command is also likely to become the preserve of the Indian Navy IF NOT the sole preserve. There is a reason for that; the IN is tasked with the largest expeditionary capability of the MoD's policies; not any other Force. It also happens that the A&N archipelago happens to be an ideal spring-board for that. In contrast, the IAF's role and outlook is largely peninsular. There is a discussion paper on this between the three services on this which is not open-source.
I trust that will help you to understand what and why the IAF's policy direction is. A&N has a major place in IN's policies; while IAF has its hands full elsewhere and has a great deal to do to cope with that. Consequently, IAF will have a diminishing role in A & N Command. If you give that proposition some thought; you will understand why.
Let me tell you this too; something which was not explicit in the report. This development will again lead to another re-structuring of GoI's air-defence policy. Wait for that discussion to come into the news. Eventually.

However to believe that (in your words above): "IAF's plan to have a permanent base in A&N chain is Scrapped " is patently incorrect.
Car Nicobar Air-Base has been expanded (and strengthened) after the happenings of the Tsunami. What would you infer from that? Since people not in the know of things can only attempt to draw inferences!
It just happens that the IAF does not have assets either suitable/or in sufficient numbers to assign there permanently at this time. But that does not matter either, there is'nt a major threat to the archipelago at this time either. It happens to have more value as a remote launching pad for activities for now. Connect the dots.

@Sergi; I have said so in many of my posts and I will put it on record again:
The IN is poised to operate air-assets on an expanding and continuing basis from the A&N Islands ALONGSIDE an expanding and continuing surface presence there. That is precisely what the the OP is referring to. The A&N Command is also likely to become the preserve of the Indian Navy IF NOT the sole preserve. There is a reason for that; the IN is tasked with the largest expeditionary capability of the MoD's policies; not any other Force. It also happens that the A&N archipelago happens to be an ideal spring-board for that. In contrast, the IAF's role and outlook is largely peninsular. There is a discussion paper on this between the three services on this which is not open-source.
I trust that will help you to understand what and why the IAF's policy direction is. A&N has a major place in IN's policies; while IAF has its hands full elsewhere and has a great deal to do to cope with that. Consequently, IAF will have a diminishing role in A & N Command. If you give that proposition some thought; you will understand why.
Let me tell you this too; something which was not explicit in the report. This development will again lead to another re-structuring of GoI's air-defence policy. Wait for that discussion to come into the news. Eventually.
Ok we can wait till the "news" but I think I am ok with most of the post.
What about "fighter sqd" ?? IN will be getting land base fighters too !!!!!

However to believe that (in your words above): "IAF's plan to have a permanent base in A&N chain is Scrapped " is patently incorrect.
Car Nicobar Air-Base has been expanded (and strengthened) after the happenings of the Tsunami. What would you infer from that? Since people not in the know of things can only attempt to draw inferences!
It just happens that the IAF does not have assets either suitable/or in sufficient numbers to assign there permanently at this time. But that does not matter either, there is'nt a major threat to the archipelago at this time either. It happens to have more value as a remote launching pad for activities for now. Connect the dots.
Talked to a retired IAF officer on Sunday about same thing. Exact same reply ;) what he said was if we need fighters there , we can send them in no time why base them there when we aren't having enough for East and West. But we do have needed infra in place. We can but we dont need it.

Ok we can wait till the "news" but I think I am ok with most of the post.
What about "fighter sqd" ?? IN will be getting land base fighters too !!!!!

Talked to a retired IAF officer on Sunday about same thing. Exact same reply ;) what he said was if we need fighters there , we can send them in no time why base them there when we aren't having enough for East and West. But we do have needed infra in place. We can but we dont need it.

Please do read into my earlier post as well as the ones before. The Islands are eminently suited to site aircraft and extend one's reach much further; which is why @Truth Finder responded very early in this thread: that the Islands are a large Aircraft Carrier! Rightly so.

That being said; there is no threat perception to A&N that requires fighters there now. And that is one of the reasons that IAF has put any of that idea on the back-burner (for now). Not any apprehensions of recurrent Natural Disasters; as was being "bandied about" :-) Apart from some playing around with other facts; a practise which I consider to be unacceptable.
And I have also made it clear that IAF just has no assets to spare; so the idea of using Sukhois at Thanjavur or Kalaikunda is just an "ad-hoc arrangement".
While the mantle has fallen on the Sukhois only because they have the reach upto there; not because they are most suitable assets for the task.

If that is clear; then the other points (that I expounded on in earlier posts) fall into place. The need to have at least 1st line and 2nd line maint on the tarmac at Car Nic. Then the question of GC and ADZ Control for air-assets. Not to mention ammo storage; or will the aircraft return to the Mainland to replenish after every sortie ?? Assuming that AARs will be used all the time for Re-Fuelling! And all of the Requisite Command and Control for that.

So; Can you (or anybody) then say that infra for Permanent Bases can be (or have been) ruled out?

If you have a chance to; discuss this further with the retd. IAF Offr. that you did: and ask him how important is A & N in the IAF scheme of things. I have already said (in the last post) that its not. Its more important for the IN; hence they want control of that command on a continuing basis; not in rotation. So that the IAF can concentrate on their Peninsular Philosophy. And IN will proceed with their views in unfettered fashion.

So the required "permanent infra" will have to be set up. Aircraft will rotate there in Op. Detts. till there are enough available for continuing deployment. IAF will remain on Car-Nic.

If you are so powerful, I suggest use your powers to take back Andaman and Nicobar, West Bengal,Assam and Tripura.

:pop::pop::pop:

When Did i claim that we are so powerful ? i said Pakistani politician did not make good deal with British, it suppose to be part of East Pakistan, after Independence it would be part of Bangladesh.

Read my post again :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom