What's new

India To Spend US $74.5 Billion On Weapons During 2012-13

True but the way it is playing out ie payments spread out over a period of time is interesting. In effect India is getting $75 BN worth of defence products this year in the sense the deals will be signed this FY- this is somthing to ponder for sure. Of course deliveries will be over a period of years but they will be quick due to the compaines the deals are with ie Europeans and US. In a sense the ~$40 BN budget masks the true amount spent on defence in FY 2012-13!

It has been interesting and has been long due, there is a small thing that India could not do.. i.e regular purchases to make things look less suspect.. otherwise there is nothing to it.. good for us "der aaye par durust aaye"

It has been interesting and has been long due, there is a small thing that India could not do.. i.e regular purchases to make things look less suspect.. otherwise there is nothing to it.. good for us "der aaye par durust aaye"

Well there was always going to come a time when because of back-logs and issues in the past that many such deals came to a head in one particular FY and it seems it is FY 2012-13 where this has happened. With new defence procurment policies and a new found urgency to defence deals it seems this is less likely to happen in the futre and deals in coming years will be regular and continuous not marred by delays.

Well there was always going to come a time when because of back-logs and issues in the past that many such deals came to a head in one particular FY and it seems it is FY 2012-13 where this has happened. With new defence procurment policies and a new found urgency to defence deals it seems this is less likely to happen in the futre and deals in coming years will be regular and continuous not marred by delays.

That will have to be seen, it looks good from here atleast!

a 1600 billion dollar economy spending 74.5 billion a year on weapons?

if so,then the total annual defence budget is well over 150 billion dollars。

that's 10% of India's annual economic ouput。

good for India。and keep up the good work,for,say,20 years?:cheers:

first, it's not $ 1600 billion, it's $ 1800 billion.

second, it's not a confirmed news as there is no other link.

third, 150 billion dollars is not the defence budget of India, i think u are confusing it with ur figures.

fourth, whatever India spends on defence is for it's own safety, so none of ur business.

I'm all in favor of India modernizing its military and expanding its global rich, but you really are trying to do too much too fast, especially with the Air Force (C-17s, C-130s, Apaches, Rafales, Su-30s, Hawks, Dhruvs, LCHs and Tejases all at once?). Your defence budget far exceeds spending on education or health. Better freeze it and focus on economic growth before opening the floodgates again.

Of course, this shouldn't apply to ISRO ;)

I'm all in favor of India modernizing its military and expanding its global rich, but you really are trying to do too much too fast, especially with the Air Force (C-17s, C-130s, Apaches, Rafales, Su-30s, Hawks, Dhruvs, LCHs and Tejases all at once?). Your defence budget far exceeds spending on education or health. Better freeze it and focus on economic growth before opening the floodgates again.

Of course, this shouldn't apply to ISRO ;)
No, India spends less than 2% on defence per year, spending on healthcare,education and poverty alleviation far out-strip this amount.

Kindly read post #45.

Those 6 C-130Js we ordered from US in 2009 were all delivered ahead of schedule!

The Americans are always on the *** (if not ahead of it) when it comes to delivering purchased
stuff, this is the right time to make full use of this availability and speed up defence modernization,
at first I used to curse the MoD about why they hadn't given contracts to Russia, but later on,
I grew to like the Americans' punctuality at everything they export to us. Need anything without
stupid delays? Buy from US through FMS:cool:

Those 6 C-130Js we ordered from US in 2009 were all delivered ahead of schedule!

The Americans are always on the *** (if not ahead of it) when it comes to delivering purchased
stuff, this is the right time to make full use of this availability and speed up defence modernization,
at first I used to curse the MoD about why they hadn't given contracts to Russia, but later on,
I grew to like the Americans' punctuality at everything they export to us. Need anything without
stupid delays? Buy from US through FMS:cool:

You betcha.. Cancel Rafale and switch to Super Hornet ;)

You betcha.. Cancel Rafale and switch to Super Hornet ;)

I can't!

I'm under Rafale's control right now. It has literally enslaved lots of Indians the moment it was
announced as the real L1 bidder!

Very bad news for 600 million ultra poor Indian farmer. They are facing famine this year whereas GOI is spending 74 billion on weapons. Very sad and insane.
Who are u to comment....??
Its our money.....we can do whatever we want....
Dont show us insanity....show some insanity to your farmers...

I do agree we need to modernise our local forces... to keep the militancy at low level..
I do agree with China part.. but pakistan will keep using proxy through terrorism. and we need some smart decision to spend all those moneys to the correct area.. only spending will not do.. spend properly and there should be some accountability factor.. :smokin:

There are many ways to counter that. $ 100 mill. per year will be more than enough if GOI decides to counter that.

Back
Top Bottom