What's new

India to Go Undersea for Gas Transit from Qatar to India?

No terrorist attack ( determined or, for fun ) can blow this under sea pipeline. The under sea pipelines are built at great depth.
You are right....no terrorist group can attack the pipeline
but a hostile country can....they just have to launch a mine or a torpedo....
there should be a definite agreement in place that even in times of war, the pipeline would not be harmed, like it is with the suez canal

Suppose there is an explosion like in US or a ship wreck there, its tough to control them!!
We have to take all factors while planning to building them!!
Moreover we should finish land pipelines first...
We can build an undersea pipeline from myanmar to india

Thanks. You read my mind. :D

But why undersea? We have direct land borders with them and we can easily bring in pipelines through Manipur or Mizoram into India. But then my state would be cluttered with pipelines. :lol:

You are right....no terrorist group can attack the pipeline
but a hostile country can....they just have to launch a mine or a torpedo....
there should be a definite agreement in place that even in times of war, the pipeline would not be harmed, like it is with the suez canal

Which is why RCC coverings have to be made and that will double the already sky-high cost. It is better to be safe than sorry though. I don't mind if $14 billion goes into getting a totally secure pipeline connection. It is better than keep our supplies hostage to an unstable neighbor.

No disrespect,but India should be stupid to leave Iran gas offer and start building 2000 kilometer pipeline under the sea from Qatar, while distance between Iran and India in the sea is 850 kilometers.

No disrespect,but India should be stupid to leave Iran gas offer and start building 2000 kilometer pipeline under the sea from Qatar, while distance between Iran and India in the sea is 850 kilometers.

Israel and Iran are allies of India. You do realize that our administration is now caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the two friends. Taking into consideration the American pressure, even China has reduced its dependence on Iranian oil. India needs alternatives before we are pressed with sanctions. National interests cannot be sacrificed in the name of a "fair-weather friend". Iran did not support our stance on any of the Indo-Pak wars...rather your country aided our adversary. Even in this forum, no Iranian would ever really consider supporting India.

Come to think of it, they don't really seem to care for pak either.

Actually there was/is an plan to connect Iran to India by a Under Sea Pipeline as the future of IPI is bleak.
Every plan depends on our Economy. If it keeps going strong. Iran may very well be supplying a good portion of India's Needs.

If we can do this with Qatar why not with Iran it will no doubt be more $$ but at least we can do a feasibility study to find out.

Because your UPA government is submissive to USA. Seriously, Indra has more balls than MMS.

Also the Qatar oil field is shared with Iran.

Laying undersea pipe line is neither cheap nor easy and that will make the gas incredible expensive for incredible Indians.

This is just another incredible mind fart of incredible Indians.

Israel and Iran are allies of India. You do realize that our administration is now caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the two friends. Taking into consideration the American pressure, even China has reduced its dependence on Iranian oil. India needs alternatives before we are pressed with sanctions. National interests cannot be sacrificed in the name of a "fair-weather friend". Iran did not support our stance on any of the Indo-Pak wars...rather your country aided our adversary. Even in this forum, no Iranian would ever really consider supporting India.

Come to think of it, they don't really seem to care for pak either.

I,as an Iranian,always support the ones who talk truth,make sense.Be it Pakistanis or Indians.
You said India should do what is best for its interest.I'm saying the same,a pipeline from Qatar would cost India a lot more.You know better how hard it is to build and manage pipelines under the sea.I'm not saying sacrifice your interests,actually i was saying this pipeline from Qatar is against your national interests.

I,as an Iranian,always support the ones who talk truth,make sense.Be it Pakistanis or Indians.
You said India should do what is best for its interest.I'm saying the same,a pipeline from Qatar would cost India a lot more.You know better how hard it is to build and manage pipelines under the sea.I'm not saying sacrifice your interests,actually i was saying this pipeline from Qatar is against your national interests.

Well; technically someone else's version of the "truth". But lets not go there.

It is in India's interests to have Israel and the United States on its side considering the neighborhood we're placed in. What India aims to accomplish is to diversify its resource pool. Granted, establishing an under-sea pipeline would require considerably a higher investment, however; such an endeavor would help us keep Pakistan out of the loop; while at the same time earning us international goodwill.

Experience has proved time and again that relying on Pakistan for anything remotely important would end up in utter disaster. Besides, i'm sure the benefits of establishing an undersea pipeline would prove to be a worthy investment over time.

-Shahabas.

But we have Pakistan in the middle. It will be utterly foolish on our part to trust Pakistan with our energy security.

But why undersea? We have direct land borders with them and we can easily bring in pipelines through Manipur or Mizoram into India. But then my state would be cluttered with pipelines. :lol:

Which is why RCC coverings have to be made and that will double the already sky-high cost. It is better to be safe than sorry though. I don't mind if $14 billion goes into getting a totally secure pipeline connection. It is better than keep our supplies hostage to an unstable neighbor.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/165938-future-natural-gas-pipelineistan.html

I’m pleased to announce the outcome of this innovation project. At DNV, we feel confident that, by further qualifying the X-Stream concept, huge financial savings can be made for long distance, deep-water gas pipelines without compromising pipeline safety and integrity,” concluded Dr Madsen.*

New deep-water pipeline concept reduces cost but not safety - Offshore Shipping Online
:cheers:

How is it more secured ? a determined terrorist attack be able to blow up the pipeline spread thousands of kms easily... the losses would be tremendous !
Till date no terrorist group is reported to have Submarines or Torpedos that can hit deep sea targets . It would be damn difficult for a country too . A torpedo may not do the job even because of high depth . A dedicated vessel by a country is required to destroy such pipeline and too much effort is required . But a minor disaster underneath sea can prove to be a great loss to economy as well as environment .

Actually we might be scared of blow up of pipeline by allied forces incase of attack on Iran . But dont worry we will keep on importing Iran oil via ships even if US or its dad says no .

Till date no terrorist group is reported to have Submarines or Torpedos that can hit deep sea targets . It would be damn difficult for a country too . A torpedo may not do the job even because of high depth . A dedicated vessel by a country is required to destroy such pipeline and too much effort is required . But a minor disaster underneath sea can prove to be a great loss to economy as well as environment .

I was indicating at a Kargil type situation executed by "freedom fighters" or agents backed by Army .

IPI was not cancel under USA pressure rather it was cancel due to security issue.

Balochustan is burning both anti india and anti pakistan militants will target such pipeline.

I meant to say that the since the eastern region is mountainous, isnt it difficult to build one?
Moreover there is a refinery in Assam only, so again from manipur it has to transported, but yes, it is also economical !! :D

Back
Top Bottom