What's new

India to Go Undersea for Gas Transit from Qatar to India?

But beneficial in long runs.

Through land is quite not possible in present conditions and more risky and extra expenses like transits.

Undersea are laid where even submarines cant dive.. so forget the bunnies or adventurist KABOOM guys.

I think Muse sometime ago said that he had looked at some figures that made it prohibitively expensive

No disrespect,but India should be stupid to leave Iran gas offer and start building 2000 kilometer pipeline under the sea from Qatar, while distance between Iran and India in the sea is 850 kilometers.

Actually what i read from a newspaper report was that India plan to extend a branch of this pipeline to Iran once current bout of confrontation cools down and US pressure is relieved a little.

Read it months ago in Indian express.Can't find the link.

How deep you guys plan to put this pipeline . Sea of Oman can be as deep as 2000 m and I'm sure Indian Ocean can be deeper

Because your UPA government is submissive to USA. Seriously, Indra has more balls than MMS.

Also the Qatar oil field is shared with Iran.

Laying undersea pipe line is neither cheap nor easy and that will make the gas incredible expensive for incredible Indians.

This is just another incredible mind fart of incredible Indians.

I am not too sure about that buddy ;)

How deep you guys plan to put this pipeline . Sea of Oman can be as deep as 2000 m and I'm sure Indian Ocean can be deeper

state owned utility Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL), which is keen on sourcing new gas supplies, signed an agreement with the New Delhi-based South Asia Gas Enterprise Pvt. Ltd (SAGE), aimed at building a 2,000-kilometer deep-sea gas pipeline from Qatar to Oman and then on to the Indian states of Gujarat or Maharashtra. No cost estimates have been published, but the final price tag for such a project would almost certainly exceed $10 billion.

Mideast pipeline will be built given the never-ending delays on the IPI line and the ongoing increases in India’s gas consumption. And new gas supplies from the Krishna-Godavari (KG) fields on India ’s east coast won’t be enough to slake demand.

The venture is independent of state-to-state negotiations for implementing trans-national pipelines which have generated headlines in recently. The consortium has claimed financial feasibility in connecting India to the Gulf and is looking to create a $3-billion natural gas transportation infrastructure, with another $3 billion needed if Iran is brought into the loop.

The pipelines would reach a depth of 3,500 meters and the terrain has been extensively surveyed over the last two decades.

Energy Tribune- A Qatar-to-India Pipeline?

There is a great chance that this is only an envisioned scenario.But if this pipeline is to be laid then probably it would be laid on the continental shelf of arabian sea.Continental shelf near gujrat is widest and Pipeline may be laid quite close to pakistani maritime territory.

According to UNCLOSS,EEZ of a country could be used by another country to lay submarine cables, pipelines and for passage.Only for 12 nautical miles from it's shoreline,does a country has total control.

Guess i was wrong after all.....There IS a plan to involve Iran in this venture as well. Seems to me that our only objective here is to keep Pakistan out of the loop and make it irrelevant.

Deep sea pipeline is safe and Safe is good :)

Deep sea pipeline is safe and Safe is good :)

well ,there is a problem with this sort of project and that is if some terrorist attack it ,it would be very hard to fix it .
this is a gas pipeline so environmental effect of accidents are far less than an oil pipeline , but I still worry about espionage and terrorist attacks right now its very easy for private companies and treasure hunters to order small robots that can work at the bed of seas ,and as we all knew some of the terror groups have far more funds at their hand compared to some governments. and those robots can be used for attacking these pipelines.

another matter is that such pipeline is extremely expensive and I guess would be tens of time more expensive than estimated 10 milliard dollar , that 10 milliard dollar is more in line of the price of putting the pipeline on the land.

well ,there is a problem with this sort of project and that is if some terrorist attack it ,it would be very hard to fix it .
this is a gas pipeline so environmental effect of accidents are far less than an oil pipeline , but I still worry about espionage and terrorist attacks right now its very easy for private companies and treasure hunters to order small robots that can work at the bed of seas ,and as we all knew some of the terror groups have far more funds at their hand compared to some governments. and those robots can be used for attacking these pipelines.

another matter is that such pipeline is extremely expensive and I guess would be tens of time more expensive than estimated 10 milliard dollar , that 10 milliard dollar is more in line of the price of putting the pipeline on the land.

well i dont understnd how a terrorist can attack an undersea pipeline. they dont wanna dive man they like it easier way bomb themselves. anyways expenses is fine as it will prove profitable in long term i hope.

also india is now pressurising pakistan to stop being an idiot and give india access to iran and afghan and other countries. i hope before zardari term ends we get what we want i.e. a good trade agreement. :cheers:

This is fantastic project for india. When this project will see the light or pitch dark depth of ocean?

This is fantastic project for india. When this project will see the light or pitch dark depth of ocean?

since this is an international project only between 2 countries i dont think it will take long. once discussion is over it will go ahead.

By the time the feasibility of these projects is finished or underway to be finished, most if not all the sanctions on Iran will be lifted (ISA).

Very soon if economy keeps going strong.
BTW the original plan was to extend this to bangladesh.

this project will be shelved even before it starts, now who is gonna gurantee safety of deep sea pipeline here?

Back
Top Bottom