What's new

India to buy 60-63 Rafales jets off the shelf from France; MMRCA deal off:

Mig 27.

Jaguar had undergone/is undergoing Darin III upgrades. They would not be retired for a decade at least, and would most probably be replaced by AMCA.

As it stands; the Jaguar has a niche role in the IAF's scheme of things: as a low level strike aircraft.
The Rafale comes in at A2G and also A2A roles, much more generalist. Therefore the Rafale will also substitute for the MiG-21 Bis and Bisons, while the MiG-27 is phasing out earlier.

hxNmZXi.gif

Will just a tube be enough???
Looks like a Container-Full will be needed.

As it stands; the Jaguar has a niche role in the IAF's scheme of things: as a low level strike aircraft.
The Rafale comes in at A2G and also A2A roles, much more generalist. Therefore the Rafale will also substitute for the MiG-21 Bis and Bisons, while the MiG-27 is phasing out earlier.

For some reason I keep thinking we are wasting the 27 airframe, With dare III upgrades if we could stick a plain jane Al31F in the 27, it could get a nw lease on life. 23/27 airframe are built like effen Tank, and even though it looks ugly it's a mach 2 air superiority platform underneath all that A2G crap...

Will just a tube be enough???
Looks like a Container-Full will be needed.
Container pe na jao.... it's a touchy subject here.

Last edited:
Fore som reason I keep thinking we are wasting the 27 airframe, With dare III upgrades if we could stick a plain jane Al31F in the 27, it could get a nw lease on life. 23/27 airframe are built like effen Tank, and even though it looks ugly it's a mach 2 air superiority platform underneath all that A2G crap...

Container pe na jao.... it's a touchy subject here.

The MiG-27 has two issues; the engine which is a major one, from the maintenance stand-point. And the man-machine interface is horrible with flying controls totally out of date. There is only so much that can be done with the air-frame now, the aircraft was good; even revolutionary in its time. Now past its use-by-date.

And yes, I suggested the Container-Load; because deep inside my hard exterior, I am really charitably disposed.

40 years from its first induction and you still can't produce Mig21, just let it crash. well done. don't tell me India stand on the high morale ground and never give shit about reverse it. or you just can't?

the Gap is widening.

40 years you start to copy russian jet, till now not able to sell any Chinese aircraft apart from cheap russian copies??

so can some one tellme whats the final deal and at what cost and other acessiories coming with them

We started with lesser number for our sukhois... and this is flyaway... read the thread clearly if u understand english.... total order is now 144
please tell me about the whole details of the latest deal ....thanks in advance Sir !

so can some one tellme whats the final deal and at what cost and other acessiories coming with them
No official word from ministry or IAF but heres what reuteres ,ndtv have reported

1] 36 jets in fly away condition as soon as possible cost and other details still being negotiated
2] MMRCA To take its due course however it may now take more time imo.We do not have that kind of money this financial year.So effectively we will have rafales now in iaf irrespective of whether mmrca negotiations go through or not.

Last edited:
40 years from its first induction and you still can't produce Mig21, just let it crash. well done. don't tell me India stand on the high morale ground and never give shit about reverse it. or you just can't?

the Gap is widening.

Somehow you are very right dear but the time has changed and we are also doing the same as Chinese doing but our style is different.this time we want technology.

The MiG-27 has two issues; the engine which is a major one, from the maintenance stand-point. And the man-machine interface is horrible with flying controls totally out of date. There is only so much that can be done with the air-frame now, the aircraft was good; even revolutionary in its time. Now past its use-by-date.

And yes, I suggested the Container-Load; because deep inside my hard exterior, I am really charitably disposed.

To me it was quite unfortunate to learn about r29's stress induced fatigue crack propagation, To me it was always a screamer of an engine.
The DARE III upgraded aircraft has a pilot friendly cockpit with state-of-Art Multi Function Display (MFD) and Head Up Display (HUD). The pilot flies "Head Up" with all the necessary NAV and attack guidance symbology presented on the HUD and superimposed on the outside world view. The Integrated Flight and Weapon Control System of the upgraded aircraft enables Hands Free (Auto Pilot) Route Flying and Auto-Weapon delivery.

Well now the IAF seems to have made up it's mind to replace Mig27M functions with MKI, so looks like it's going to be goodbye to the bahadur.

cockpits2-780382.jpg

To me it was quite unfortunate to learn about r29's stress induced fatigue crack propagation, To me it was always a screamer of an engine.
The DARE III upgraded aircraft has a pilot friendly cockpit with state-of-Art Multi Function Display (MFD) and Head Up Display (HUD). The pilot flies "Head Up" with all the necessary NAV and attack guidance symbology presented on the HUD and superimposed on the outside world view. The Integrated Flight and Weapon Control System of the upgraded aircraft enables Hands Free (Auto Pilot) Route Flying and Auto-Weapon delivery.

Well now the IAF seems to have made up it's mind to replace Mig27M functions with MKI, so looks like it's going to be goodbye to the bahadur.

cockpits2-780382.jpg

Its only the instrumentation that has been changed there, but the flying control surfaces are the same. In these days of FBW, that is hardly an incentive to fliers.
While the Engine issues had pissed off the Russians too.
Anyway the Bahadur is passing into history.

Back
Top Bottom