What's new

India to build sea bridge, tunnel to connect Sri Lanka at a cost of Rs 24,000 crore: Nitin Gadkari

@Silver i know man, was just giving a rough idea of the distance.
More detailed end to end marking brings that 50km value to 43km approx

More like 23 kms from the end of Indian Mainland to Beginning of SL's mainland (first island) - compare that to List of longest bridges above water in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia its not that bad ( 9 kms I think is the longest one for now)
But why would india need such a thing with sri lakna?
What benefit it would provide which india is missing currently?

I don't think so import/export to sri lanka are that high which would need a route like this.

from my earlier post: (cross posting)
not everything is to be measured in immediate economic benefit. Some actions result in a tremendous soft power projection which will also promote brotherhood and friendly exchanges.

better connectivity
economic opportunities to tap the north SL region
South India is a manufacturing economy - it trades and exports to other countries - a seamless connectivity to Another country reduces transport costs and timelines.
enhances embedding of SL Into India's economic sphere which will help increased co=operation and co-existence.

In terms of benefits for SL - they can utilize the connectivity to India to increase exports and tap into Indian market in a huge way
Be the manufacturing regional hub for agri based products to feed into TN's industrial manufacturing base
get a manifold increase from India's tourists - specially from the IT hub regions. the number of people driving to SL just because its possible (do you know how many people from USA drive on the key west drive just for the sheer experience)
I presume this can open opportunities for SL people to work on the South Indian IT hubs - this will be an enormous win win for both India and SL

Source: India to build sea bridge, tunnel to connect Sri Lanka at a cost of Rs 24,000 crore: Nitin Gadkari

what works for US may not work for India. for fear factor to work, you will need an overwhelming power that cannot be matched anytime soon.

Indian Military power w.r.t to Sri Lanka IS Overwhelming.

If India decides, it can over run Sri Lanka in one day and there is NOTHING China or anyone in the world can do anything about it.

Just because India does not exercise its military power does not mean it doesn't exist.

The last time India acted against its Neighbours was to create Bangladesh and that took us 13 days, that while fighting at two fronts i.e. pakistan and Bangladesh and with the world including the US AGAINST us.

You are mistaken to think Indian Military strength is not Overwhelming. There are only a few nations in the world that can withstand an military onslaught by India.

In our neighbourhood its only China who can. Pakistan can due to the Nukes china gave it. Without nukes even pakistan will not last a week or two.

I say this only to correct your perception, realistically India is the last nation on earth to attack ANYONE. It would need extreme provocation to turn India hostile.

Indian Military power w.r.t to Sri Lanka IS Overwhelming.

If India decides, it can over run Sri Lanka in one day and there is NOTHING China or anyone in the world can do anything about it.

Just because India does not exercise its military power does not mean it doesn't exist.

The last time India acted against its Neighbours was to create Bangladesh and that took us 13 days, that while fighting at two fronts i.e. pakistan and Bangladesh and with the world including the US AGAINST us.

You are mistaken to think Indian Military strength is not Overwhelming. There are only a few nations in the world that can withstand an military onslaught by India.

In our neighbourhood its only China who can. Pakistan can due to the Nukes china gave it. Without nukes even pakistan will not last a week or two.

I say this only to correct your perception, realistically India is the last nation on earth to attack ANYONE. It would need extreme provocation to turn India hostile.

i have a feeling that 99% confident - you are a false flagger attempting to entice Pakistan China and Indian posters here.
There was no mention of Pakistan or China here, you got it here.
You are wrong to say India has overwhelming firepower. even if it did, India does not have the political backing to overwhelm SL.
Thankfully most people from India know that and are much more responsible in using their strengths.

Till Sri Lanka agrees and supports such a project, this will remain a proposal only.

@Gibbs is correct, there is no statement from SL side so this may indeed be a proposal by Gadkari for local consumption.

India and Sri Lanka need to grow a lot more to make such a project feasible. Right now ships and ferries are quite adequate for movement of people and materials between the two countries.

That said, Gadkari is doing a great job as minister of highways.

LOL..... I am not talking about "relationship", I am talking about interests.

US Establishes is self interest and hegemony based on Fear of its military power so its a bit rich of you to preach that it does not work :P

India will continue to safe guard its interest in SL and in our immediate neighbourhood. That is non Negotiable. We will always take the path of least resistance and for now that path doe not include a 3.6 billion $ bridge.

China will continue to invest in SL to gain a foothold and India will continue to move against China in SL and do whatever is necessary. India cannot and should not play this game on Chinese Terms. China plays with money, India will have to play with a different currency. One which India has plenty off :azn:

India will invest in SL, only it will not be USD. The last time SL tried to harm India, it did not end well for them. The same will hold true in the future. Indian "investments" will ensure that.

China is not the only one who is adept at playing at really long term, India is quite adept too. :disagree:

IF SL thinks it can blackmail India and it can get away with such blackmail, India knows how to correct that perception too. I am not looking for "friendship", I am looking for "respect" from SL, so fear might not turn into Friendship, but it will certainly turn into Respect.
Dude get off from high horses, we are talking about India here not China (in South China Sea) they have money and power to act like regional bully . India neither have money not resources to act like china
Mutual understanding and cooperation is way to go

i have a feeling that 99% confident - you are a false flagger attempting to entice Pakistan China and Indian posters here.
There was no mention of Pakistan or China here, you got it here.
You are wrong to say India has overwhelming firepower. even if it did, India does not have the political backing to overwhelm SL.
Thankfully most people from India know that and are much more responsible in using their strengths.

:lol: .... if you feel that then you are hostage to your own prejudices. Not my problem.

Political backing arise when the need to overwhelm SL militarily arise. So far there has never been the need to do that.

Where do you think the Political backing to create Bangladesh came from ? India has a very well evolved survival instinct.

Rather than worry about Indians being responsible, you need to figure out how responsible US is when it comes to using military power :lol: ....... found your WMD in Iraq yet ? :P

Till Sri Lanka agrees and supports such a project, this will remain a proposal only.

@Gibbs is correct, there is no statement from SL side so this may indeed be a proposal by Gadkari for local consumption.

India and Sri Lanka need to grow a lot more to make such a project feasible. Right now ships and ferries are quite adequate for movement of people and materials between the two countries.

That said, Gadkari is doing a great job as minister of highways.

I agree,he is one of the best ministers in this government

Dude get off from high horses, we are talking about India here not China (in South China Sea) they have money and power to act like regional bully . India neither have money not resources to act like china
Mutual understanding and cooperation is way to go

LOL..... what high horse ? :cheesy:

If my plain speaking offends your cowardly sensibility then move away from this discussion.

This discussion IS about China's influence in SL and US & Japan providing Loan to India to mitigate that influence. Only you are too stupid to understand that. So kindly don't waste my time with your naivety.

Mutual understand and cooperation is far more easily achieved when you have Nukes and a large Military with you :lol:

More like 23 kms from the end of Indian Mainland to Beginning of SL's mainland (first island) - compare that to List of longest bridges above water in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia its not that bad ( 9 kms I think is the longest one for now)

from my earlier post: (cross posting)
not everything is to be measured in immediate economic benefit. Some actions result in a tremendous soft power projection which will also promote brotherhood and friendly exchanges.

better connectivity
economic opportunities to tap the north SL region
South India is a manufacturing economy - it trades and exports to other countries - a seamless connectivity to Another country reduces transport costs and timelines.
enhances embedding of SL Into India's economic sphere which will help increased co=operation and co-existence.

In terms of benefits for SL - they can utilize the connectivity to India to increase exports and tap into Indian market in a huge way
Be the manufacturing regional hub for agri based products to feed into TN's industrial manufacturing base
get a manifold increase from India's tourists - specially from the IT hub regions. the number of people driving to SL just because its possible (do you know how many people from USA drive on the key west drive just for the sheer experience)
I presume this can open opportunities for SL people to work on the South Indian IT hubs - this will be an enormous win win for both India and SL

Source: India to build sea bridge, tunnel to connect Sri Lanka at a cost of Rs 24,000 crore: Nitin Gadkari

Let's just explore the technical feasibility and budget. Comparison:
  • Hangzhou Bay Bridge, operational since 1st May 2008, length 36 km, investment RMB 11.8 billion
  • Qingdao Bay Bridge, operational since 30th June 2011, length 36.48 km, investment RMB 9.04 billion
  • Shanghai Yangtze Tunnel & Bridge, operational since 31 October 2009, combined length 25.5 km investment RMB 12.6 billion
  • Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge, 50 km under construction, US$10.6 billion
These over-the-water bridges form excellent infrastructure for regional economies. Taking into account of inflation, this 23 km project should cost around US$2-3 billion, well within the ADB loan of US$3.6 billion.

Source:

50 km long bridges linking Hong Kong - Zhuhai - Macao

Hangzhou Bay Bridge

Operational since 1st May 2008, length 36 km, investment RMB 11.8 billion

20081124142919198_2-jpg.206257

Qingdao Bay Bridge

Operational since 30th June 2011, length 36.48 km, investment RMB 9.04 billion

%E9%9D%92%E5%B2%9B%E6%B5%B7%E6%B9%BE%E5%A4%A7%E6%A1%A5%EF%BC%88%E8%83%B6%E5%B7%9E%E6%B9%BE%E5%A4%A7%E6%A1%A5%EF%BC%89%E4%B8%BB%E5%B0%81-1-jpg.206261

Shanghai Yangtze River Tunnel and Bridge

It is a bridge-tunnel complex across the south fork of the Yangtze River near the river mouth in Shanghai. The tunnel connects the Pudong District of Shanghai on the south bank of the river with Changxing Island, while the bridge connects Changxing Island with Chongming Island. In combination with the Chongqi Bridge (opened in December 2011), which connects Chongming Island to the north bank of the Yangtze, the bridge-tunnel complex forms the final crossing of the Yangtze before it empties into the East China Sea. Built from 2005 to 2009 at a cost of 12.6 billion yuan (US$1.84 billion), and opened on 31 October 2009. Their combined length is 25.5 km, forming part of the G40 Shanghai–Xi'an Expressway.

367959-2300m-embed-jpg.209230

2012052413423373499-jpg.209226

Cross-River Tunnel Section

It is 8.9 kilometres (5.5 mi) in length, and has two stacked levels. The upper level is for a motorway, and has three lanes in each direction. The lower level is reserved for a future Shanghai Metro line. The tunnelling was completed using four world's biggest tunnel boring machines, the largest of which was 15.43 metres in diameter, 135 metres long, and weighed 2,300 tonnes.

20110505041810208-png.209199
2_s318_maschine01_587x260-jpg.209200
7946781_1307626055533_1024x1024-jpg.209201

Cross-River Bridge Section

It consists of two long viaducts with a higher cable-stayed section in the middle to allow the passage of ships. The total length is 16.63 kilometres, of which 6.66 kilometres (4.14 mi) is road and 9.97 kilometres bridge. The overall shape of the bridge is not linear but slightly sigmoid ("S" shaped). The central cable-stayed span is about 730 metres, the longest span of any bridge in Shanghai, and the 10-th longest cable-stayed span in the world. The bridge has three road lanes in each direction, Room on both flanks of the bridge is reserved for a future Shanghai Metro line, so total deck width is 35.3 m.

173286991201304252112394214130874491_005-jpg.209202

This discussion IS about China's influence in SL and US & Japan providing Loan to India to mitigate that influence. Only you are too stupid to understand that. So kindly don't waste my time with your naivety.

US and Japan doesn't need India to mitigate Chinese influence when they engage with SL directly and what does this has to do with China?

US and Japan doesn't need India to mitigate Chinese influence when they engage with SL directly and what does this has to do with China?

Because Indian cannot allow Chinese influence in SL to be replaced by US Influence.

US knows this and has taken a pragmatic view of the whole thing.

The whole ADB loan was offered to India only to counter Chinese investments and strategic foot hold in SL. Without China investing in SL to encircle India, US/Japan would not have offered this loan to India.

Its a simple reaction to chinese action.

Ram Setu !!!
Exactly!
Usually bridges and tunnels are made through the shortest distances, which in this case will be through Ram sethu. So is BJP leader implying that Ram sethu, for the preservation of which it had acrimonious exchanges with congress, can finally be dismantled?

Because Indian cannot allow Chinese influence in SL to be replaced by US Influence.

US knows this and has taken a pragmatic view of the whole thing.

The whole ADB loan was offered to India only to counter Chinese investments and strategic foot hold in SL. Without China investing in SL to encircle India, US/Japan would not have offered this loan to India.

Its a simple reaction to chinese action.

The loan wasn't offered, the ADB only said they were willing to give a loan if the project goes ahead.
A bridge built on loans will not counter Chinese investments like the Port City

US doesn't need India here. Ties with SL are growing fast
US Wants to Make Lanka an Economic and Security Hub -The New Indian Express
South and Central Asia: Remarks at the Lakshman Kadirgamar Institute of International Relations and Strategic Studies - EIN News
Sri Lanka : US Under Secretary calls on Sri Lanka\'s PM

The first US, Sri Lanka Partnership Dialogue will be held in 2016 which will discuss Governance, Development Cooperation and People-to-People ties; Economic Cooperation; Security Cooperation; and International and Regional Affairs
US, Sri Lanka Partnership Dialogue to meet Feb 2016 in Washington | Lanka Business Online

Sri Lanka is currently studiying the Cons and Pros of the Trans Pacific Partnership and have already expressed interest in joining the second rounds of talks on joining TPP to John Kerry

Back
Top Bottom