What's new

India to build sea bridge, tunnel to connect Sri Lanka at a cost of Rs 24,000 crore: Nitin Gadkari

I spelt out the "apparent" benefits already. And India at its present context needs to see non-economic benefit as well - mainly counter balance the influence of Chinese power on SL, Integration of SL economy with Indian economy for future co-existence and mutual prosperity, also SL has been a pretty robust economy in itself which can help the South Indian states to take advantage of (it will be mutually beneficial to both SL and India).

Why would India not take advantage of its proximity to other nations is really a puzzle. This should have been done a long time back.

I agree that this bridge will help foster closer ties with SL and India. That was never in dispute.

The issue is WHO will foot the Bill. India at present cannot afford to do so. If its a "Loan" then the interest rate better be 0.5% with a 50 year repayment period. That is the whole point.

Its funny when keyboard warrior think they know better than GOI ,lets wait & see what happen in future

Its a lot more funny when keyboard warriors think they know what the GoI is doing but stammer when asked about it :lol:

I agree that this bridge will help foster closer ties with SL and India. That was never in dispute.

The issue is WHO will foot the Bill. India at present cannot afford to do so. If its a "Loan" then the interest rate better be 0.5%. That is the whole point.

how have you decided that India cannot afford the price for the Bridge?
As opposed to China having an undisputed advantage on SL, it is relatively smaller price for India to pay to have continued influence and partner in SL. Unless India acts soon to integrate Sl's economy with itself, something that China has started a long time back, you are looking at a potential "non aligned" nation or at best a nation indifferent to India.
With India's aspirations, it is a small price to pay IMHO.
rest, it is for the people with more intel on the trade off between the cost vs benefit. it really depends on how much value does India put on SL's good relations.

how have you decided that India cannot afford the price for the Bridge?
As opposed to China having an undisputed advantage on SL, it is relatively smaller price for India to pay to have continued influence and partner in SL. Unless India acts soon to integrate Sl's economy with itself, something that China has started a long time back, you are looking at a potential "non aligned" nation or at best a nation indifferent to India.
With India's aspirations, it is a small price to pay IMHO.
rest, it is for the people with more intel on the trade off between the cost vs benefit. it really depends on how much value does India put on SL's good relations.

LOL.... are you serious ?

You don't have to be a financial wizard to figure our that India cannot afford to build a bridge for 3.6 Billion $ when 22% of our population live below the poverty line.

That means 22% live on an income of less than 1.25 $ A DAY.

53% of homes lack toilet.

334 million Indians do not have access to clean drinking water.

Where 44% of rural India do not have Electricity.

And you want India to spend 3.6 Billion $ on building a useless Bridge ? :lol:

Its one thing to spend on Defence, its totally another to spend out hard earned money to keep out China.

If US wants to hedge India against china, then US better come up with the money too. You don't seem to grasp this simple concept.

The issue is WHO will foot the Bill. India at present cannot afford to do so. If its a "Loan" then the interest rate better be 0.5% with a 50 year repayment period. That is the whole point.

India will have to pay for it. They are the one who wants to control Sri Lanka's destiny.

Indian & SL destiny is intertwined with or without the bridge. Now take a long hike.

Probably will take a hike in this tunnel when it is built. India must spend money building this tunnel and also build long gas pipeline from Iran avoiding Pakistani maritime boundary.

Probably will take a hike in this tunnel when it is built. India must spend money building this tunnel and also build long gas pipeline from Iran avoiding Pakistani maritime boundary.

Rest assured. We will do everything in our power to avoid pakistan Terrorism and pakistani Terrorists .......... now shooo.

LOL.... are you serious ?

You don't have to be a financial wizard to figure our that India cannot afford to build a bridge for 3.6 Billion $ when 22% of our population live below the poverty line.

That means 22% live on an income of less than 1.25 $ A DAY.

53% of homes lack toilet.

334 million Indians do not have access to clean drinking water.

Where 44% of rural India do not have Electricity.

And you want India to spend 3.6 Billion $ on building a useless Bridge ? :lol:

Its one thing to spend on Defence, its totally another to spend out hard earned money to keep out China.

If US wants to hedge India against china, then US better come up with the money too. You don't seem to grasp this simple concept.

thats like saying India should not have done a mars mission or have an aircraft carrier. you are not just keeping out china. you are keeping out china from your backyard which is an indirect defense spend.

Also, it give the status of economic integrator in the region - which is much need before you start to throw your weight around. and that needs to go along with your economic growth not *after* the growth.

thats like saying India should not have done a mars mission or have an aircraft carrier. you are not just keeping out china. you are keeping out china from your backyard which is an indirect defense spend.

Also, it give the status of economic integrator in the region - which is much need before you start to throw your weight around. and that needs to go along with your economic growth not *after* the growth.

IT is cheaper and more practical to do a Direct defence spend for India.

Indirect defence spend is far too expensive and is a game India cannot afford to pay.

It is better to threaten SL and have them hate and fear us, rather than bribe them to love us. Maybe down the line when we become sufficiently large economy we can win back their affection. But for now, its not worth it.

Again, For now its cheaper to build Ships and submarines and have Nukes to throw our weight around and focus on building our Economy. I am all for economic integration as long as I do not have to spend large sums from my pocket.

That is the gist of the matter.

So as I said, if ADB is giving a Long term loan with a low interest rate, it is a Win Win Win. Otherwise its just not worth it, For NOW.

Tomorrow if I can afford to "Buy" friendship, my first target would be pakistan :lol: ............ not SL.

I suppose this is to curb chinese influence.

IT is cheaper and more practical to do a Direct defence spend for India.

Indirect defence spend is far too expensive and is a game India cannot afford to pay.

It is better to threaten SL and have them hate and fear us, rather than bribe them to love us. Maybe down the line when we become sufficiently large economy we can win back their affection. But for now, its not worth it.

Again, For now its cheaper to build Ships and submarines and have Nukes to throw our weight around and focus on building our Economy. I am all for economic integration as long as I do not have to spend large sums from my pocket.

That is the gist of the matter.

So as I said, if ADB is giving a Long term loan with a low interest rate, it is a Win Win Win. Otherwise its just not worth it, For NOW.

Tomorrow if I can afford to "Buy" friendship, my first target would be pakistan :lol: ............ not SL.

no relationship lasts long on the basis of fear. and it is almost impossible to turn "fear" into "friendship". it really depends on Indian think tank to determine if investment on SL - India linkage is worth it. You can have your views - they are different from mine. For me, it is necessary for India to start investing on more than just economic returns. The game should be long term and not short term. The Chinese are adept at playing really long term.

no relationship lasts long on the basis of fear. and it is almost impossible to turn "fear" into "friendship". it really depends on Indian think tank to determine if investment on SL - India linkage is worth it. You can have your views - they are different from mine. For me, it is necessary for India to start investing on more than just economic returns. The game should be long term and not short term. The Chinese are adept at playing really long term.

LOL..... I am not talking about "relationship", I am talking about interests.

US Establishes is self interest and hegemony based on Fear of its military power so its a bit rich of you to preach that it does not work :P

India will continue to safe guard its interest in SL and in our immediate neighbourhood. That is non Negotiable. We will always take the path of least resistance and for now that path doe not include a 3.6 billion $ bridge.

China will continue to invest in SL to gain a foothold and India will continue to move against China in SL and do whatever is necessary. India cannot and should not play this game on Chinese Terms. China plays with money, India will have to play with a different currency. One which India has plenty off :azn:

India will invest in SL, only it will not be USD. The last time SL tried to harm India, it did not end well for them. The same will hold true in the future. Indian "investments" will ensure that.

China is not the only one who is adept at playing at really long term, India is quite adept too. :disagree:

IF SL thinks it can blackmail India and it can get away with such blackmail, India knows how to correct that perception too. I am not looking for "friendship", I am looking for "respect" from SL, so fear might not turn into Friendship, but it will certainly turn into Respect.

Length around 50km approx.
Going to be a 5th longest bridge if built, according to current longest bridges.

rciqtc.png

@GreenGuy wont be built from downtown city to downtown city - will mostly be built form closest point from the sea with a solid bed rock (to rest the pillars). which should be much lesser?

LOL..... I am not talking about "relationship", I am talking about interests.

US Establishes is self interest and hegemony based on Fear of its military power so its a bit rich of you to preach that it does not work :P

India will continue to safe guard its interest in SL and in our immediate neighbourhood. That is non Negotiable. We will always take the path of least resistance and for now that path doe not include a 3.6 billion $ bridge.

China will continue to invest in SL to gain a foothold and India will continue to move against China in SL and do whatever is necessary. India cannot and should not play this game on Chinese Terms. China plays with money, India will have to play with a different currency. One which India has plenty off :azn:

India will invest in SL, only it will not be USD. The last time SL tried to harm India, it did not end well for them. The same will hold true in the future. Indian "investments" will ensure that.

China is not the only one who is adept at playing at really long term, India is quite adept too. :disagree:

IF SL thinks it can blackmail India and it can get away with such blackmail, India knows how to correct that perception too. I am not looking for "friendship", I am looking for "respect" from SL, so fear might not turn into Friendship, but it will certainly turn into Respect.

what works for US may not work for India. for fear factor to work, you will need an overwhelming power that cannot be matched anytime soon.

@Silver i know man, was just giving a rough idea of the distance.
More detailed end to end marking brings that 50km value to 43km approx

But why would india need such a thing with sri lakna?
What benefit it would provide which india is missing currently?

I don't think so import/export to sri lanka are that high which would need a route like this.

Back
Top Bottom