What's new

India tells China: Kashmir is to us what Tibet, Taiwan are to you

Vica versa....

Disagree. In the event of another war between India and Pakistan (following a repeat of the Mumbai attacks for example)... then the Sino-Pakistani alliance will be very influential with regard to these territorial disputes.

In fact, even without a war-situation, we will still have influence. Who are Pakistan's two biggest allies? USA and China.

Let BJP come in Power................... And then you all will see, who plays what Card.

Let BJP come in Power................... And then you all will see, who plays what Card.

I'm sure this is said with the accompanied fist shaking.
images

Ahhh so an admission of using Tibetans in exile as a successful proxy against China?

I can understand your irritation at some of the statements made earlier, but just to go on record:
  • Neither the government of India nor any other responsible political organisation has made any claim that Tibet is anything but an integral part of China;
  • The Dalai Lama and the refugees have not been allowed to function officially as an organised government;
  • There is huge sentimental support and veneration for the Dalai Lama, which somehow does not seem to register with the Chinese government as anything other than a provocation. All these private citizens are emphatically not part of an official conspiracy;
  • The bottom line is that Tibetan refugees who have tried to demonstrate against official Chinese visitors and representatives have been arrested, sometimes imprisoned for the duration;
  • Considering how little harm they do, there is no case for any hardening of the terms of treatment for them;
  • Indian courts have recently ruled that those refugees born in India between independence (1947) and the date of a certain legislation in the central parliament denying illegal immigrants the right to become citizens of India are entitled to Indian citizenship, and quite a few of these refugee families, including descendants of the 'Dharma Raja' (you are obviously aware of the dual system prevalent in Tibet for centuries) have applied for citizenship, and are likely to be granted it;
  • Tibetan families in the north and in the south (they have a large settlement in the uplands near Bangalore in the south) enjoy huge goodwill as they are always peaceful and as their settlements are so neat and clean, exemplary in fact. They are very good guests, never making any trouble, never asking for anything that they may not ask for, always minding their own business and always a pleasure to deal with. This should be known to you in order to explain in part why most Indians feel sympathetic to them, without wishing to complicate matters by defying their own government on the issue.
  • As a result, they are an isolated community by and large; younger people are educated and are coming out to seek jobs in India;
  • Other than speculative elements resident in the ether of the Internet, there is nobody suggesting that we play the 'Tibetan' card against China. This should not stop us in any way from reminding China and the Chinese leadership in the most forceful terms that Kashmir is indeed central to us as an issue, as central as the issues of Tibet and Taiwan are.
It is impossible to get this sympathetic and tolerant air towards the Tibetan understood without a personal visit or inspection. I hope that will be possible.

I hope my intervention was useful.

I can understand your irritation at some of the statements made earlier, but just to go on record:
  • Neither the government of India nor any other responsible political organisation has made any claim that Tibet is anything but an integral part of China;
  • The Dalai Lama and the refugees have not been allowed to function officially as an organised government;
  • There is huge sentimental support and veneration for the Dalai Lama, which somehow does not seem to register with the Chinese government as anything other than a provocation. All these private citizens are emphatically not part of an official conspiracy;
  • The bottom line is that Tibetan refugees who have tried to demonstrate against official Chinese visitors and representatives have been arrested, sometimes imprisoned for the duration;
  • Considering how little harm they do, there is no case for any hardening of the terms of treatment for them;
  • Indian courts have recently ruled that those refugees born in India between independence (1947) and the date of a certain legislation in the central parliament denying illegal immigrants the right to become citizens of India are entitled to Indian citizenship, and quite a few of these refugee families, including descendants of the 'Dharma Raja' (you are obviously aware of the dual system prevalent in Tibet for centuries) have applied for citizenship, and are likely to be granted it;
  • Tibetan families in the north and in the south (they have a large settlement in the uplands near Bangalore in the south) enjoy huge goodwill as they are always peaceful and as their settlements are so neat and clean, exemplary in fact. They are very good guests, never making any trouble, never asking for anything that they may not ask for, always minding their own business and always a pleasure to deal with. This should be known to you in order to explain in part why most Indians feel sympathetic to them, without wishing to complicate matters by defying their own government on the issue.
  • As a result, they are an isolated community by and large; younger people are educated and are coming out to seek jobs in India;
  • Other than speculative elements resident in the ether of the Internet, there is nobody suggesting that we play the 'Tibetan' card against China. This should not stop us in any way from reminding China and the Chinese leadership in the most forceful terms that Kashmir is indeed central to us as an issue, as central as the issues of Tibet and Taiwan are.
It is impossible to get this sympathetic and tolerant air towards the Tibetan understood without a personal visit or inspection. I hope that will be possible.

I hope my intervention was useful.

I know all of these facts more or less. Hence

Actually I agree. India in someways is doing a favour for China, it keeps a lid more or less on these exiles. If they are dispersed like chaff in the wind, they potentially could cause more harm.

The rest is verbal jousting.

But I really don't see a parity of leverage in comparing the two sets of issues. Not that China would be right to openly take a stance in the Kashmir dispute.

Ironically, the BJP actually seems more friendly to China than the current Indian government. :D

Thats what I want to say................. Once it comes to power, every issues will be settled. It is like Man talking to Man.

You remember........... during there tenure, Sikkim was officially acknowledged as Indian State by China.

Thats what I want to say................. Once it comes to power, every issues will be settled. It is like Man talking to Man.

You remember........... during there tenure, Sikkim was officially acknowledged as Indian State by China.

not necessarily. Last time, India has the Tibeten card and China has the Sikkim card, so they can reach an aggrement. but now, what can India put on the table?

not necessarily. Last time, India has the Tibeten card and China has the Sikkim card, so they can reach an aggrement. but now, what can India put on the table?

Trust me there are many other issues............... and it will be explored by them. Time will tell.

I know all of these facts more or less. Hence

CardSharp said:
Actually I agree. India in someways is doing a favour for China, it keeps a lid more or less on these exiles. If they are dispersed like chaff in the wind, they potentially could cause more harm.

Precisely. In my personal view, the Government of China should be thanking GoI in its collective prayers every evening, for such a smooth, gentle, non-violent, non-controversial arrangement. Even His Holiness the Dalai Lama probably is secretly thankful that this arrangement really puts the lid on violent activity, although we all know that some of the younger Tibetan people think that the 'Middle Way' has been tried long enough and that it is now time to look for more dramatic and direct measures.

The rest is verbal jousting.

But I really don't see a parity of leverage in comparing the two sets of issues. Not that China would be right to openly take a stance in the Kashmir dispute.

There is no parity of leverage; there can be no parity of leverage. The two issues are different, identical in only one respect, that they are vitally close to the state interests of the respective parties.

Do remember, all that India is asking is that China should do the opposite of openly taking a stance on the Kashmir dispute. All that India is asking is that China should revert to its earlier stance of neutrality, exactly what your statement implies. No more, no less.

I am glad that beneath the swarms of fanboys, and their painful attentions to you and our other friends, this basic reality is present and clear.

India tells China: Kashmir is to us what Tibet, Taiwan are to you
:lol: :lol: Like China gives a .

Well then why don't you reply to the actual complaint?

The actual complaint being that India back stabbed China in 1959, by hosting our largest separatist group, immediately after they failed to overthrow the Chinese government.

That too, while Nehru was singing the stupid Hindi Chini bhai bhai song. Which was obviously a complete lie.

Are you still hanging on to a complaint from 1959 (whatever be its merits)?

Be that as it may, what do you want India to do. Would you like the Dalai Lama to go and live in the US? Or will you be saying the same thing 10 years from now?

Are you still hanging on to a complaint from 1959 (whatever be its merits)?

Be that as it may, what do you want India to do. Would you like the Dalai Lama to go and live in the US? Or will you be saying the same thing 10 years from now?

India could have disbanded the Tibetan government in exile and let them live out their lives peacefully, or even let them go to live in the West. It is India that has a troubled border with our Tibetan region, not the West.

It is India that claims Chinese land (Aksai Chin) not the West.

But you guys have had over 50 years to do that... and even if that somehow happened today, I think it would be far too late. Now it is simply easier to wait for the Dailai Lama to pass away from old age.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom