What's new

India suffered 1,874 casualties without fighting a war

100 soldiers killed in just mine laying operations? And then there are Indian on this forum who are proud of this Operation Parakram.

Blame on Faulty mines..Mining and demining in vast areas like Kashmir isn't exactly a kids play...

it was 2003 standoff news dear we don't have history forum i think that is why i posted it here .

If you would have followed your friend "windy"'s post you could have found that the very same article is posted over a dozens of times.

Even if there was no war, active shelling was going on with in the border..

first of all you all are my friends without 2-3 bad apples . and then i am so sorry i never found it or watched it .

Glad to read the first part.

And still is surpirsed at second. Those threads generally run over 20 pagesssssss !!!

India suffered 1,874 casualties without fighting a war
Rajat Pandit, TNN May 1, 2003, 03.55am IST

NEW DELHI: The life of an Indian Army soldier comes cheap. The US-led coalition forces lost just around 150 personnel during the recent Iraq operations. In sharp contrast, and without going to war, almost 2,000 Indian Army soldiers were killed or wounded during the 10-month forward deployment along the Indo-Pak border last year.

"What else do you expect? We have to soldier on without even basic necessities like decent helmets, proper webbing or bullet-proof jackets. Many accidents during the mobilisation were due to the poor quality of mines and fuses," retorted an angry young Major.
Ads by Google

Usually extremely tight-lipped about casualty figures, the defence ministry had to disclose them in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday in response to a question.

"The number of Army personnel killed or wounded in Jammu and Kashmir and the western sector during the mobilisation, Operation Parakram, from December 19, 2001 to October 16, 2002, was 1,874," said Defence Minister George Fernandes.

This, by any benchmark, is a truly staggering figure for a 10-month period, even if the counter-insurgency operations in Jammu and Kashmir are taken into account.

In the initial phase of Operation Parakram itself, after the December 2001 Parliament attack, over 100 soldiers were killed and 250 injured during mine-laying operations. Vehicle accidents, artillery duels with Pakistan and other incidents led to many more casualties.

Relentless counter-insurgency operations in Jammu and Kashmir are also, of course, exacting a heavy toll on the soldiers, with over 1,000 being killed in terrorist activity in the last three years.

The government, however, continues to sleep. Battling extremely well-equipped terrorists, soldiers face a crippling shortage of bullet-proof jackets, night-vision devices, communication sets, sensors and other equipment which can make their gruelling jobs much easier.

Take bullet-proof jackets, for instance. Only 1.24 lakh jackets are available when 3.53 lakh jackets are required for troops operating in counter-insurgency duties and along the Line of Control.

"Sometimes, our jawans are reduced to swiping bullet-proof jackets and assault rifles from slain terrorists for personal use. The bullet-proof jackets provided to us are bulky and restrict mobility," said an officer, who has done stints in the Valley.

India suffered 1,874 casualties without fighting a war - Times Of India

Really..a thread on 10 year old news item....

And not so far away someone cried http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakistans-war/209765-pakistan-loses-37-000-people-war-terror.html

Blame on Faulty mines..Mining and demining in vast areas like Kashmir isn't exactly a kids play...

Still death of 100 soldiers just in mines laying isn't justified in any sense.

Current status of infantry is also not good today. I desperately waiting for implemention of F-INSAS program.

Currently our our soldiers look like WW2 era soldiers.

Like it or not. Indians are 10 times better then us in learning from mistakes and correcting them. Like for example, they identified and corrected their mistakes of 1965 war and got results in 71.

In 10 years times, i think they have improved a lot in terms of mobility and deployment. All their exercises in recent times were aimed at this objective.

Out of those 100 or so killed in mine laying operations, if i remembered correctly, in one incident 40 soldiers were killed, while unloading mines from truck in heat of Rajhistan. Also its my personal observation, that Indian defence analysts always write about weaknesses of Indian armed forces. Its their way of pressurizing ruling elite to spend more on defence. We being Pakistanis should never rejoice over such news articles, think out of box and improve ourselves. As there is always room for improvement and we lack in many areas.

Like it or not. Indians are 10 times better then us in learning from mistakes and correcting them. Like for example, they identified and corrected their mistakes of 1965 war and got results in 71.

In 10 years times, i think they have improved a lot in terms of mobility and deployment. All their exercises in recent times were aimed at this objective.

Out of those 100 or so killed in mine laying operations, if i remembered correctly, in one incident 40 soldiers were killed, while unloading mines from truck in heat of Rajhistan. Also its my personal observation, that Indian defence analysts always write about weaknesses of Indian armed forces. Its their way of pressurizing ruling elite to spend more on defence. We being Pakistanis should never rejoice over such news articles, think out of box and improve ourselves. As there is always room for improvement and we lack in many areas.

It happens every where. Critics are the motivation for improvement. I am surprised by your post that there are no critics of PA :what: i though your media too do that job.

And any ways here in PDF these things mean only one thing - mud business.

The reason for that is that the military has to scream to be heard, in India. Despite what you see on PDF, military affairs is not a topic of public interest in India. Most people would be hard pressed to name the three branches of the armed forces. Very few people would be able to name a service chief. Most Indians know that they have an army, but that is just about as much as they know. This may not be apparent for non Indian PDF members, because every single report about the armed forces gets posted and discussed here. (Several times, as this thread proves.) But if you look at the Indian media as a whole, only a very miniscule percentage of it reports about the armed forces.

FDI and economy and politics and cricket and temples and mosques and festivals and Bollywood gossip are what most people read about, and care about. So a delay in signing a defence deal gets virtually no attention from anybody, and defence is never an electoral issue. No political party or minister or legislator would lose votes or a job for mishandling or neglecting defence affairs. The armed forces are not a strong lobby force. So the only way for them to be heard, or taken notice of, is when they give out alarmist statements. As you may know, India has not purchased a single artillery gun for 25+ years. But only a Chinese incursion led to fast tracking of arty deals.

So whenever a defence person gets quoted in the newspapers, he is invariably lamenting something, complaining. As you rightly say, that is the only way in which they can pressurize or lobby the civilian leadership. This leads to the Indian media or armed forces being branded as "warmongers" by some Pakistanis, because every news clipping about defence seems to be sounding an alarmist tone. However, the truth is that that is their way of making themselves heard.

It is very different from Pakistan, where the army is a very visible presence, and a part of the social (and economic and political)life of the country. Or China, where the ruling party and the armed forces are one single organization.

this time the death toll would be no less than half of there armed forces strength.

no more midget war's with death toll usually less than 5000 of our enemies.

we common Pakistanis will participate and fight against the so called trained indian army

what? who are you going to be fighting with and when? or are you one of those brainwashed "mujaheddin"?

This is ten year old article. Many things changed by now.

yeah? like what? we still lug around in those 10+ kgs bullet proof jacket which does not provide all round torso protection and as for our bullet proof head patkas they have no overhead protection only sides that too approx 2.5 inches round band. Is a soldier expected to stand and fight or take cover and fight in a gunfight (the latter leaves his head exposed in a prone position)? May i ask you to elabrate on how things have changed?

100 soldiers killed in just mine laying operations? And then there are Indian on this forum who are proud of this Operation Parakram.

The deployment gave us almost a decade of relative calm and peace along LC. Objectives achieved. Gen Musharraf clamped down on militants and controlled them to a large extent ..... with the result that you are fighting them in Pakistan on our behalf.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom