What's new

India sues the Queen for return of 'stolen' £100m Koh-i-Noor diamond.

Black Alloy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
"It was once the world's largest-known diamond, is worth a reported £100m and is currently part of Britain's crown jewels.

But India wants it back.

Bollywood stars and businessmen have united to instruct lawyers to begin legal proceedings in London’s High Court to return the Koh-i-Noor diamond.

The diamond was in the crown worn by the Queen Mother at the coronation of her husband King George VI in 1937 and again at Queen Elizabeth's coronation in 1953.

The group, which has called itself the “Mountain of Light” after the translation of the stone’s name, say that the 105-carat diamond was stolen from its true home in India and are demanding that the UK Government returns it.

The stone is “one of the many artefacts taken from India under dubious circumstances”, according to David de Souza from the Indian leisure group Tito’s."

India sues the Queen for return of 'stolen' £100m Koh-i-Noor diamond

It should not be with the queen, it should be in a museum. It has a rich history and has been in hands of many south asian empires.

Legally, the diamond belongs to UK.
legal? According to whose law ? british rt.
Can we enact our own law to impose economic penalties for ppl or entities having historical artifacts. It simply requires a lot of economic might and military muscle power (like US).

Actually implying that India wants it is wrong , its a group called whatever who wants it back . i do not see the value of bringing it back.
F or instance even the nizam jewles are not on display , so what will we do with this one? lock it up in a vault somewhere?

Not India(govt of India).. but a group of Indians who are doing this.

It should not be with the queen, it should be in a museum. It has a rich history and has been in hands of many south asian empires.
queen does not wear it all the time, its only during queen's speech(before parliament begins session). Its locked in tower of london all the time, anybody can go and see by paying 15 quid or so(not sure original or fake one on display).

UK would ask India to abandon claims and give back Kashmir, Assam, Manipur, South Tibet and etc back because they were "princely states" that did not belong to India but British colonial power.

They haven't returned the Elgin marbles yet despite so much international pressure and that was another clear case of looting. so it's very unlikely that anything will come out if this right now....but in the future maybe.....

i bet modi is going to bring this up when he comes to the uk and he will get a "no". and it will be embarrassing for him for the duration of this stay. nicely timed, most people need to recognize that the uk has much more influence and power than india, regardless of india's size in population or economy.

Back
Top Bottom