What's new

India starts work on second indigenous aircraft carrier

IndoCarib

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
New Delhi, Jul 16 (PTI) India has started working on its second indigenous aircraft carrier even as the construction of the first one has been marred by delay of over two years. The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC)-II would be the largest ship in terms of the weight and size to have ever been built by the Navy, Navy sources said here. On the delays in the IAC-I, they said against the December 2010 timeline, the Navy was now planning to launch it by the end of this year or early next year. Sources said delays in the warship project were caused mainly due to problems in its gearbox, they said. The 40,000 tonne IAC-I is being constructed by the Kochin Shipyard in Kerala and is so far the biggest warship project undertaken in the country. At its now expected induction timeline of 2017, it would be the second largest warship after the Russian-origin Admiral Gorshkov, which is set to arrive in India by March next year. They said the IAC-I has two very large gear boxes weighing around 90 tonnes each-- the largest-ever to have been handled by the Navy. Asked about the specifications of the IAC-2, Navy sources said the work was going on and a number of design options were being explored. Navy sources expressed hope that by the time the IAC-II would be ready, the indigenously-built Naval Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) would also be fully mature for operating on it. On the Shivalik Class frigate INS Sahyadri to be commissioned in to the Navy on July 21, Navy officials said it was the last ship of its class Project 17. They said the work on the next Project 17A has already started.

India starts work on second indigenous aircraft carrier, IBN Live News

well the news is good ,but we must concentrate to build IAC 1 liitle faster & meet it's stated timeline of delivery to Indian navy.Funds is also another issue ,it seems the government may have approved this deal

New Delhi, Jul 16 (PTI) India has started working on its second indigenous aircraft carrier even as the construction of the first one has been marred by delay of over two years. The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC)-II would be the largest ship in terms of the weight and size to have ever been built by the Navy, Navy sources said here. On the delays in the IAC-I, they said against the December 2010 timeline, the Navy was now planning to launch it by the end of this year or early next year. Sources said delays in the warship project were caused mainly due to problems in its gearbox, they said. The 40,000 tonne IAC-I is being constructed by the Kochin Shipyard in Kerala and is so far the biggest warship project undertaken in the country. At its now expected induction timeline of 2017, it would be the second largest warship after the Russian-origin Admiral Gorshkov, which is set to arrive in India by March next year. They said the IAC-I has two very large gear boxes weighing around 90 tonnes each-- the largest-ever to have been handled by the Navy. Asked about the specifications of the IAC-2, Navy sources said the work was going on and a number of design options were being explored. Navy sources expressed hope that by the time the IAC-II would be ready, the indigenously-built Naval Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) would also be fully mature for operating on it. On the Shivalik Class frigate INS Sahyadri to be commissioned in to the Navy on July 21, Navy officials said it was the last ship of its class Project 17. They said the work on the next Project 17A has already started.

You got it wrong bro. It's not about construction. They are working on design of ship. Let them fix it weight first.

You got it wrong bro. It's not about construction. They are working on design of ship. Let them fix it weight first.

^^man i know Pakistani love weird **** ...but what the fk dude don't jack of here...:bad:

Keep it private.

On topic --

good news , well maybe we'll get this one ready in 2020 optimistically.

O! my god, India navy will become munber 1 soon! They make CA in pipeline. Go, India navy!

Doesn't make any sense first they should complete the first one and learn from the mistakes before attempting the second one

Doesn't make any sense first they should complete the first one and learn from the mistakes before attempting the second one

They've learnt from all the mistakes they need to.

+ I am eagerly awaiting the specifications of the IAC-2 ie size and configuration (STOBAR/CATOBAR).

They've learnt from all the mistakes they need to.

+ I am eagerly awaiting the specifications of the IAC-2 ie size and configuration (STOBAR/CATOBAR).

IMHO, IN should go for the same design that of IAC-1, they already have the design & they are already building it so mistakes in IAC-1 will not get repeated, increasing the size of AC to 65k + CATOBAR configuration will only increase the difficulties facing the indigenous AC construction, by sticking to this design we can get IAC -2 in just 6-7 years, increasing the size or making it nuclear powered will postpone the date of induction to early 2020s. Even US does not change specifications so dramatically as India has done for IAC-2.

P.S. Earlier I was of the opinion that - the bigger the better, but the delay in IAC-1 has really changed my opinion :)

IMHO, IN should go for the same design that of IAC-1, they already have the design & they are already building it so mistakes in IAC-1 will not get repeated, increasing the size of AC to 65k + CATOBAR configuration will only increase the difficulties facing the indigenous AC construction, by sticking to this design we can get IAC -2 in just 6-7 years, increasing the size or making it nuclear powered will postpone the date of induction to early 2020s. Even US does not change specifications so dramatically as India has done for IAC-2.

P.S. Earlier I was of the opinion that - the bigger the better, but the delay in IAC-1 has really changed my opinion :)

IMHO a 65k+ CATOBAR confgured ACC operating 30-40 Rafales/F-18 E/F with 1-2 E-2D would be well worth the wait. Yes ICA-1 has been delayed but lessons will be learnt and these delays are not necessarily transferable to future ACC construction projects. Just have to wait and see what IN decides to do- play it safe (another IAC-1 like ACC) or be bold (CATOBAR/65K).

Saala subah aaya ki IAC 1 missed the dead line by 2 years n in the evening india started work on IAC 2..heck man construction companies in india have no accountability be it roads bridges or ships, bus open the mouth and start sh! Tting..that will keep the public happy..

Saala subah aaya ki IAC 1 missed the dead line by 2 years n in the evening india started work on IAC 2..heck man construction companies in india have no accountability be it roads bridges or ships, bus open the mouth and start sh! Tting..that will keep the public happy..

IT HAPPENS ONLY IN INDIA...........:lol:

I agree with you read this line Navy sources expressed hope that by the time the IAC-II would be ready, the indigenously-built Naval Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) would also be fully mature for operating on it.

I think N-LCA will not be in CATOBAR configuration. IAC II may be SATOBAR, may be like Kuzetsnov Class Carrier.... Something like this

2006-Varyag-05.jpg

ussr-admiral-kuznetsov-kreml-class-carrier.gif

??

The news is about navy design bureau starting work on IAC-2 design. Navy design bureau is not constructing IAC-1, its the duty of shipyard. And they are not shitting, its the media that does the job.

IT HAPPENS ONLY IN INDIA...........:lol:

With all due respect can you tel me how much QUEEN Elizabeth class is delayed?? Can you tell me how much Rusian fifth gen fighter pgm delayed (I am talking bout fifth gen fighter not T50).. Don't be cynical.. Indian shipyards are delivering on time, if there is not real issue...

@ LCA and Arjuna: These two were delayed by end user, not developer. (along with embargo)

Have you heard of AB grade Steel embargo???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom