What's new

India spanks USA over diplomat arrest issue !

Have you followed the TV series "West Wing" by aaron sorkin, this is playing out like one of those diplomatic dramas.... I am amazed at India's resolve on this one, all players have come out blazing all barrels ...

result of 4-0 hammering in elections

Hopefully US-Indian ties will be inflamed and spoiled even more, growing tensions between these two countries is good for the region.

India blocks cheap booze for US diplomats after envoy's arrest and strip-search in NYC

By Alexander Smith, NBC News contributor

India has blocked perks such as cheap alcohol and food imports at the U.S. Embassy after one of its top diplomats was arrested on fraud charges and strip-searched in New York City.

Deputy Consul General Devyani Khobragade has been accused of submitting false documents to obtain a work visa for her Manhattan housekeeper, an Indian national whom she allegedly paid less than $3 an hour.
The 39-year-old diplomat's arrest has sparked a storm between the U.S. and ally India, with lawmakers in Delhi calling her alleged treatment "despicable" and "barbaric."

On Tuesday, police in New Delhi removed security barriers around the city’s U.S. Embassy, which were installed to prevent vehicles approaching the building at high speeds. Reuters reported the barriers were aimed at safeguarding against threats such as suicide bombers.

"It is no longer about an individual, it is about our sense of self as a nation and our place in the world," Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid told parliament Wednesday, Reuters reported.

The Associated Press reported that India was withdrawing import licenses that allowed the commissary at the U.S. Embassy to import alcohol and food. American diplomats have also been stripped of ID passes allowing VIP treatment at airports.

In an email sent to Indian newspapers published Wednesday, Khobragade said American police had conducted cavity searches after her arrest and imprisonment on Dec. 12.

"I broke down many times as the indignities of repeated handcuffing, stripping and cavity searches, swabbing, in a holdup with common criminals and drug addicts, were all being imposed upon me, despite my incessant assertions of immunity,” she wrote.

She added: "I got the strength to regain composure and remain dignified thinking that I must represent all of my colleagues and my country with confidence and pride."

Khobragade was arrested and handcuffed while dropping her daughter off at school
, then kept in a cell with drug addicts before posting $250,000 bail, according to Indian officials.

In a statement, the U.S. Marshals Service confirmed Khobragade was strip-searched, following "standard arrestee intake procedures." She has pleaded not guilty and will challenge the arrest on grounds of diplomatic immunity, according to her lawyer.

State Department deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf said Khobragade does not have full diplomatic immunity, but rather consular immunity from the jurisdiction of U.S. courts only when it comes to acts performed in the exercise of consular functions, The Associated Press reported.

Excerpt: India blocks cheap booze for US diplomats after envoy's arrest and strip-search in NYC - World News

131218-diplomat-01.380;380;7;70;0.jpg

Hopefully US-Indian ties will be inflamed and spoiled even more, growing tensions between these two countries is good for the region.

Excerpt: India blocks cheap booze for US diplomats after envoy's arrest and strip-search in NYC - World News

haha here comes the first whiner.

Sorry but US is already expressing regrets and taking back action against Khobragade. Sorry your jealousy will have to vent elsewhere bch.

BBC News - Kerry 'regrets' India diplomat Devyani Khobragade row

What can we say, the country in question is India, not pakistan... when you see star studded pakistani responses, to everything from salala to davis to drone to OBL, the sense of self respect or more appropriately the lack of it is clearly evident....you be the judge!

Stop embarrassing yourself mia..... Do you even know how much strict the criterias are for HIB visas? All those that get it are deserving candidates and the US needs professionals badly. Just look at NASA and Silicon valley and the number of Indians working there.
I think you confused the Indian diaspora in USA with another country of some pole vaulting illegals creating mayhem .

:woot: :rofl::cheers:

Another comment that shows how most Americans view this event

Ms. Khobragade, Welcome to America! You may come from a privileged family - but that does not privy you to break the laws of the land. No matter how high-and-mighty you may be - or other Indians think you are - you are not above the law of the land. So was not Richard Nixon. Most Indians - world over - have a superiority complex. This is an opportunity for all arrogant Indians to learn: your upper Brahmin caste, high class, tech savvy education, etc. - none of it matters, you are just like any ordinary person. I hope she gets that maximum sentence and thrownin jail for 10 years.
This most likely is not common American, most of them do not know about caste system. Could be Pakistani or Chineese in disguise.

US claim they are civilized. How can you do cavity searches on those who have not even been convicted?

US has no self respect for individuals and women. It has no dignity.

That was the question I have asked yesterday, why are indians dying to go to US then? And why are indians not returning back to india? Answer to these questions would expose indian tamper tantrum and asking to license salve trade. That is just pathetic.

Last edited:
@Irfan Baloch;

As a Consular Officer she was entitled to be treated with Dignity, even as a Human being she had an inalienable right to it.

When an indian diplomat practice slavery she forfeited her human dignity, let alone any protocol. She is lucky US did not keep her on lock and thrown the key away.

Last edited:
When an indian diplomat practice slavery she for forfeited her human dignity let alone any protocol. She is lucky US did not keep her on lock and thrown the key away.
Wow, people like you amaze me....

What can we say, the country in question is India, not pakistan... when you see star studded pakistani responses, to everything from salala to davis to drone to OBL, the sense of self respect or more appropriately the lack of it is clearly evident....you be the judge!

Let's be the judge, after NATO strike on a PA outpost , Pakistan for several months blocked all NATO shipments and containers that was a move against 27 NATO countries, a move which hurt the NATO war effort and cost them billions, Pakistan also made concessions which were met.

Compare that to India's female diplomat is arrested, strip-searched, fingered, cavity searched, and humiliated in front of her daughter, put in jail with drug addicts, and India's response restrict cheap booze and street barriers and a few minor things.

Let's be the judge, after NATO strike on a PA outpost , Pakistan for several months blocked all NATO shipments and containers that was a move against 27 NATO countries, a move which hurt the NATO war effort and cost them billions, Pakistan also made concessions which were met.

Compare that to India's female diplomat is arrested, strip-searched, fingered, cavity searched, and humiliated in front of her daughter, put in jail with drug addicts, and India's response restrict cheap booze and street barriers and a few minor things.
hasn't ended yet, lets see how it plays out!

hasn't ended yet, lets see how it plays out!

Exactly let's wait and see, a befitting response to this if India arrested a US diplomat in India in similar fashion. Though that is unlikely I think as US will exert a lot of pressure on India.

India is making enemies all over the place. US will join the India containment policy stared by China, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Next will be to fund separatist groups within India.

Back
Top Bottom