What's new

India set to join elite UAV club

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
India set to join elite UAV club | Deccan Chronicle

Chennai: India will soon join the elite league of nations like the US and the United Kingdom in developing unmanned aerial vehicles (drone).

“We have been developing unmanned aerial aircraft and helicopters for which we have signed pacts with several institutes like Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur, to do research in rotary motor for helicopters and Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for payload, besides sensors”, P. Soundara Rajan, managing director (helicopter complex), HAL, said after signing a memorandum of understanding with IIT Madras to set up a centre for aerospace transmission system.

Elaborating on HAL’s projects, Soundara Rajan said the public sector undertaking (PSU) with Russians had embarked on a mission to produce 10-12 tonne category helicopters for VIPs like the President, Prime Minister and top government officials as these helicopters need to fly at an altitude of 23,000 feet at areas like Leh and Ladak.

The helicopter complex chief lamented that most of the components used today in aircraft and helicopters in India come from foreign countries. “We need to work more to develop indigenous components for our military needs”, Soundara Rajan pointed out.

Providing details about the tie-up between the institute and HAL, Prof. Bhaskar Ramamurthi, director, IIT Madras, said the strategic cooperation would help undertake joint research in the field of transmission system for helicopter and engine programmes for HAL. “This partnership will evolve required software and design solutions for different types of gears, bearings, lubrication system, vibration monitoring systems and production technologies”, he added.

Elaborating on HAL’s projects, Soundara Rajan said the public sector undertaking (PSU) with Russians had embarked on a mission to produce 10-12 tonne category helicopters for VIPs like the President, Prime Minister and top government officials as these helicopters need to fly at an altitude of 23,000 feet at areas like Leh and Ladak.
Wait a minuet, is this the IMRH he is talking about?

@sancho

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a minuet, is this the IMRH he is talking about?

@sancho

At least at something in a similar class, but that once again shows that there is a huge problem in our industry. They keep developing the wrong things, that are not important for our forces or the defence of India! Why on earth waste they money and resources on developing a VIP version that would be used in very small numbers only, instead of realising how many naval helicopters we need and to develop an indigenous solution, if necessary with a partner for IN and ICG?

At least at something in a similar class, but that once again shows that there is a huge problem in our industry. They keep developing the wrong things, that are not important for our forces or the defence of India! Why on earth waste they money and resources on developing a VIP version that would be used in very small numbers only, instead of realising how many naval helicopters we need and to develop an indigenous solution, if necessary with a partner for IN and ICG?
I think the VIP bit is a red hearing- they're not saying they are making this just to meet VVIP needs IMHO- that would be beyond insane. This is merely an extension of what HAL had said when the whole AW-101 controversy kicked up- HAL had said they could make such a helo where one of its roles would be VVIP duties.

So IMRH is a go @sancho?

And I was hoping for a European partner not the Ruskies- I'm getting sick of their BS.

I think the VIP bit is a red hearing- they're not saying they are making this just to meet VVIP needs IMHO- that would be beyond insane. This is merely an extension of what HAL had said when the whole AW-101 controversy kicked up- HAL had said they could make such a helo where one of its roles would be VVIP duties.

It wasn't HAL that said it about own VIP helicopters, but DRDOs Saraswat.

So IMRH is a go @sancho?

And I was hoping for a European partner not the Ruskies- I'm getting sick of their BS.

Not necessariliy, only that they might have some JV for design and development, not that government is funding it, nor that there are any requirements are given from the forces. With the procurements of Mi 17 and the coming once of IN, I don't see any requirement from HAL now, unless they could provide a NG helicopter like the Ka 92 for example.

Can you tell me about the most advanced UAV built by india?

classified.jpg

Back
Top Bottom