What's new

India selects EF, Rafale for MMRCA shortlist

Who is now the Favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Another important point

Lifted from BR

With only 18 of the a/c scheduled to be delivered in fly away condition and HAL to assemble 108 , the CKD/SKD/raw materials supply chain stretching back to 100 of suppliers in europe/us/asia , managing that chain by OEM, HAL pulling its pants up and establishing the new production line, training of people, QA, payment schedules, repair & test facilities, flight training, weapons training and handling ... all emerge as major factors determining how quickly we can get our 1st India made birds into service

Love this video :tup:

Last edited by a moderator:
EF has a very slim chance to be selected.
Among many factors, the Rafale costs less than the EF Typhoon and Dassault has had a good record with the IAF.

My opinion is that the EF was included in the final selection process to put a bit of pressure on Dassault to either lower prices or provide some other incentive to India.

The companies involved in EF production may be granted an alternative development program with India.

This way India gets two birds with one shot.

The (DASS) Defensive Aids Sub System is integrated within the Eurofighter Typhoon's structure along with all the avionics of the Eurofighter typhoon.It has been developed by EuroDASS Consortium.This system also includes an Electronic Countermeasures/Electronic Support Measures suite and is supplemented with a front and rear missile approach warning system and a supersonically capable towed decoy system and an advanced Self Protection Jammer.Laser Warning Receivers and chaff/flare dispensing system from SAAB Tech Electronics.The avionics is based on a NATO standard jam-proof Data Link that is interlinked with quadrapel renundancy FBW System.The DASS includes a new Missile Approach Warning System which will be present on all Tranche-3 typhoons and India will get the Tranche-3 EFT.hope u Liked this info about the Eurofighter Typhoon'r defensive suite.

The Eurofighter Typhoon's EJ200 Engine => The EJ200 is a low bypass ratio augmented turbofan engine,providing an unique (1:1) power even at Max.Take Off Weight and also allowing a Mach 1.3 supercruise capability.It is manufactured by Eurojet Turbo GmbH.The Engine includes state of the art systems like the Integrated blade construction wide chord fan,airfoils without any need of inlet glide vanes,single crystal turbine blade,an airspray fuel delivery system and an advanced FAAEC Control System with an on board engine diagonastic system.It features a next-generation variable geometry engine inlet to shield against Radars and IRST.The engine features a cool blanket of air around the engine core to allow higher engine operation temparature.It has a 4:1 low bypass power ratio.The engine produces 62Kn dry Thrust and 90Kn Thrust in full afterburning reheat.The EJ200 will also be fitted with Thrust Vectored Nozzles (TVN).

british preffers the air superiority version of EF , german preffers the ground attack version...
it was the german EF to take part in ground attack trails in MMRCA..

but germany decided not to take part in libya , otherwise you would get a look at the ground attack capabilities of the EF as well...

That's wrong! German Luftwaffe EFs are only air superiority fighters, that's why they were used in Kosovo for air policing roles, but has no A2G capability at all. They are still integrating LGBs and LDPs, so even if weapon trials was done in Germany, they wasn't done by German EFs (I expect Tornados have shown Taurus, or HOSBO standoff missile firing)!
The only EFs that at least were said to be ready for ground attacks since 2008 were of the RAF, that's why they are fielded now in these roles in Libya as well and letest reports hints that Italian EFs could follow. However, be it Germany, Italy, or England, their prime strike fighter is the Tornado and if you want to see what edge the Rafale has over EF you can understand it simply by the fact, that a single Rafale can be used in all roles that the RAF needs EF and Tornado for. Be it air policing of the EF, be CAS of EF and Tornado, be it SEAD, maritime attack, deep penetration, or recon missions of the Tornado, the Rafale can do it all and can do it now!

The Eurofighter also has a good ground attack capability.The typhoon currently uses the LITENING-3 Laser Designating Pod.it is also equipped with Paveway-IV 500kg Laser Guided Bombs and the Enhanced Paveway EGBU-16 1000kg Laser Guided Bombs.From 2014 it will be equipped with MBDA Storm Shadow Stand Off Cruise Missile and Brimstone ATGM.I think also the MBDA ALARM Anti Radiation Missile can be launched.So it is also as great as Rafale.

Unlike Rafale, the 1000Kg LGB are not integrated in the EF yet, they have done the Paveway IV (250Kg) LGB, but it seems not to be operational in Libya. That's why they have no option than using 500Kg Paveway 2s for tanks, or armoured vehicles, which is an overkill. All the rest is just rumoured so far, because the partners have not cleared T3B yet. However, I bet they will now that the EF is shortlisted and it will be interesting what capabilities exactly will be added and when!

So Finally curtains coming down . Highly surprised that Gripen failed to make to the list .

Rafale looks like having upper hand at this moment . I guess strong lobbying by Sancho on this forum helped its chances .

Since I am stern critic of Rafale , i will now shift my support to Eurofighter .

Sancho and Spark are staunch Rafale supporters.

So who are the hardcore supporters of the Typhoon ?

So Finally curtains coming down . Highly surprised that Gripen failed to make to the list .

Rafale looks like having upper hand at this moment . I guess strong lobbying by Sancho on this forum helped its chances .

Since I am stern critic of Rafale , i will now shift my support to Eurofighter .

Just like Pakistanis started supporting Sri Lanka for the WC final ? :partay:

The end result is same - Jeetega Bhai, Rafale Jeetega.

EF has a very slim chance to be selected.
Among many factors, the Rafale costs less than the EF Typhoon and Dassault has had a good record with the IAF.

My opinion is that the EF was included in the final selection process to put a bit of pressure on Dassault to either lower prices or provide some other incentive to India.

The companies involved in EF production may be granted an alternative development program with India.

This way India gets two birds with one shot.

The question is not who is, or was leading according the media (which differs from source to source anyway), but what were the criterias that made these fighters more suited to the requirements of IAF / MoD?
From all known sources of IAF officials, strike capability (with PGMs and standoff weapons), AESA radar, fast integration and to some extend even maritime attack capability was important, but exactly in these fields the EF don't fit a all! The EF consortium and their officials stated many times that the radar will only be read by 2015, if the neccesary fundings are cleared, but the pre-funding ended this march and nothing happend since then officially. The analysis of British government stated that the EF will be fully A2G capable only by 2018, which again requires much fundings for weapon systems and CFTs to give the EF enough range and payload. So is IAF really ready to wait so long and pay so much for the EF to be ready and worth the money? Although I would like to see the EF fully developed, I highly doubt that IAF will do it, especially not if you have a ready and proven alternative, that is even cheaper.

I agree, it looks like the EF was shortlisted to put more pressure on Dassault and some said the same when the rumors about Rafale beeing out of the competition came up as well, that we (IAF/MoD/GoI) spread the news on purpose, to put more pressure on them back then as well.

Wished I had that kind of power!

Sancho and Spark are staunch Rafale supporters.

So who are the hardcore supporters of the Typhoon ?

No, I am a supporter of Indian forces and just want the best suited fighter for them, but I have to admit that I didn't expected MoD/GoI to be that resistant against US political pressure. They seems to played it very smart and my finalist were always Rafale and F18SH, for different reasons though.

Just like Pakistanis started supporting Sri Lanka for the WC final ? :partay:

The end result is same - Jeetega Bhai, Rafale Jeetega.

Yes , but even if Rafale wins . I wont be going in complete shock :P .
Whatever end result is - IAF will get a jet that will be unmatched in performance in this continent .
Perhaps only if we are planning to bomb South Korea F15SE can give us some hard nuts .

The question is not who is, or was leading according the media (which differs from source to source anyway), but what were the criterias that made these fighters more suited to the requirements of IAF / MoD?
From all known sources of IAF officials, strike capability (with PGMs and standoff weapons), AESA radar, fast integration and to some extend even maritime attack capability was important, but exactly in these fields the EF don't fit a all! The EF consortium and their officials stated many times that the radar will only be read by 2015, if the neccesary fundings are cleared, but the pre-funding ended this march and nothing happend since then officially. The analysis of British government stated that the EF will be fully A2G capable only by 2018, which again requires much fundings for weapon systems and CFTs to give the EF enough range and payload. So is IAF really ready to wait so long and pay so much for the EF to be ready and worth the money? Although I would like to see the EF fully developed, I highly doubt that IAF will do it, especially not if you have a ready and proven alternative, that is even cheaper.

I agree, it looks like the EF was shortlisted to put more pressure on Dassault and some said the same when the rumors about Rafale beeing out of the competition came up as well, that we (IAF/MoD/GoI) spread the news on purpose, to put more pressure on them back then as well.

Wished I had that kind of power!

Hey Sancho can you please tell me how many have I submitted? I cannot see how many posts i have submitted because of Mobile Browser.Anyways count my vote as well for Rafale.I love it.

The F-22 is definitely at the top of the list here but we'll compare to be sure. I get my specs and notes from fas.org.

Back
Top Bottom