What's new

India seeks full membership of SCO

it would be win win for everyone involved to improve relations and cooperate (except for countries who's agenda is to keep the region weak). i know this won't have too much impact on the mistrust between india, pakistan and china but it's a step in the right direction.

India applied for SCO membership after the meeting between Indian PM & Chinese President before the BRICS Summit in Beijing.

I think New Delhi & Beijing had discussed the issues related to SCO.

By getting SCO membership New Delhi will get more activities to expand its relations with Beijing.

SCO will be a good platform to India to maintain stable relations with China, India’s biggest neighbor & also an emerging economic partner; it may be the reason for the sudden policy shift by New Delhi.

If becomes a SCO member how it will expand cooperation between India & China?

It will increase cooperation on military cooperation & intelligence sharing regarding counterterrorism, drug trafficking, organized crimes & non-state actors which member countries consider as national security threats.

It will be an interesting situation if Russia + China have to choose between India or Pakistan.

I wonder why India chose now to announce this.

is there any limit to number of countries which can be inducted as members? i think not, then why it should be india VS pakistan in this situation?

India applied for SCO membership after the meeting between Indian PM & Chinese President before the BRICS Summit in Beijing.

I think New Delhi & Beijing had discussed the issues related to SCO.

By getting SCO membership New Delhi will get more activities to expand its relations with Beijing.

SCO will be a good platform to India to maintain stable relations with China, India’s biggest neighbor & also an emerging economic partner; it may be the reason for the sudden policy shift by New Delhi.

If becomes a SCO member how it will expand cooperation between India & China?

It will increase cooperation on military cooperation & intelligence sharing regarding counterterrorism, drug trafficking, organized crimes & non-state actors which member countries consider as national security threats.

is there any limit to number of countries which can be inducted as members? i think not, then why it should be india VS pakistan in this situation?

It might not. But people like Colonel Purohit will disagree. If it works then it's a good move for security in Asia.

Did Russia really convinced India to join and in what way?

While its not mentioned every where, the Russians supporting us and advising us to join as a full member has been discussed before.

This is why i was saying before in another thread that, once our leaders think they have juiced as much as they can from West they will join SCO.

After all once neighbor's are important at the end of the day. Regarding the Russians convincing us, talks for this are of public knowledge, i think it was Vladimir Radyuhin the Russian ambassdor to India himself once spoke of benefits to the region and to us by joining SCO.

US tried to be a observer member of SCO but was rejected. I believe that SCO will be use by Russian/China axis to counter the west and the US.

It will be an interesting situation if Russia + China have to choose between India or Pakistan.

IMO....India and Pak both will be able to join this...In fact I think that Pak joining would be conditionally applicable with India's entry...

Russia's influence in the organization become mitigated when you add a country that is allied with China....one that you have not had much contact with in the past 60 years....China will clearly have the upper hand....Trust the Russians to know whats in their interest...

Plus India-Pak joining means that we have another platform to come to the table at and diplomatic relations/talks cannot be completely squashed in case of any madness from either side....
I see only positives in this addition.

I wonder why India chose now to announce this.

Cant be applying for entry post Pakistan's admission now can we? A nickel for guessing who will veto our entry?

Besides....Now would be the best time considering Pak is moving for the same.... so the organization knows whats on the table from India and is forced to consider both at the same time....at the end of the day, SCO is an organization that keeps economic cooperation as the base of its foundation....
There is much India can bring to this organization economically....besides being a strong emerging ally..
If at all Indian entry is vetoed, India will know the future of geographic politics in Asia for the coming decade

US tried to be a observer member of SCO but was rejected. I believe that SCO will be use by Russian/China axis to counter the west and the US.

They don't trust US, it doesn't mean it is a tool against Nato.

Those Central Asian members are very pro-US, it is no way an Anti-West organization.

Could you explain what you meant by "dropping its stance"? Im not sure i know the reference.

Of course. India had always said they are non alligned and had no intention to be. Sitting at the fence to rip the benefits of both sides have always been the game they played. The surprise decision to suddenly wanting to be a part of the SCO was somewhat contradictory in this regard.

And vice-versa...Just to be clear...Its Pakistan that looks at India as the "boogeyman" of South Asia...So the act of "alliance" has to be reciprocated by Pak as well through CBMs.
I dont see how you can make India the villain here when its all a matter of perspective...

I beg to differ and I don't have to make anything out of India. The attitudes and quality of posts made that are anti-Pakistan and China says it all don't you think? The fact that PDF got swamped by Indians after the OBL incident was perfect prove of Indians willingness to hop on to the Anti-Pakistan bandwagon at any given opportunity it finds. It was also an excellent indicator to the Indian mentality on negative issues relating to Pakistan.

Russia prods India to join group
Chandy stakes claim inRussia prods India to join group
Russia prods India to join
group
New Delhi, Nov 29, DHNS:
Russia on Monday called upon
India to be a full member of
the Shanghai Cooperation
Organisation (SCO) – a six-
nation bloc floated mainly by
Moscow and Beijing ostensibly
to restrict the US role in
Central Asia and as a
counterweight to the North
Atlantic Treaty Organisation in
the region.
Moscow also backed New Delhi’s
bid for a permanent seat on the
UN Security Council.
“We want to see India as a full
member of the SCO, not just an
observer,” Russian Foreign
Minister Sergey V Lavrov told
mediapersons after a meeting
with External Affairs Minister S M
Krishna here. Lavrov was here to
lay the ground for Russian
President Dmitry Medvedev’s visit
to India on December 21-22.
“We think the UNSC will only
benefit if India becomes its
permanent member. This is our
position at the ongoing talks on
UN reform,” said Lavrov.
The Russian Foreign Minister’s
comment came just three weeks
after the US President Barack
Obama backed India’s bid for a
permanent seat on the UNSC.
India has been reviewing its
stand on the SCO and taking
keen interests, particularly after
George W Bush era ended in
Washington and Obama’s policy
on Afghanistan caused unease in
New Delhi.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
himself attended the SCO
summit in the Russian city of
Yekaterinburg last year –
signaling a subtle shift in New
Delhi’s policy on Central Asia. It
was the first time that the PM
represented India in the bloc’s
summit. Lavrov’s remark on
Monday assumed significance as
it was the first time that Russia
publicly prodded India to be a
member of the SCO.
China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan,
Russia and Tajikistan gave birth
to Shanghai Five in 1996. The
grouping was renamed as the
SCO after Uzbekistan joined it in
2001. Iran, Mongolia and
Pakistan are also observers in the
SCO. Though India’s observer
status in the SCO was cited as an
excuse for the PM’s absence in
the past summits of the
grouping, it also reflected New
Delhi’s policy of not actively
engaging with the organisation.
Power Minister Sushil Kumar
Shinde represented the Prime
Minister in the SCO summit at
Tajik capital Dushanbe last week
and underscored the importance
India attaches to its association
with the bloc, which, according
to New Delhi, “has steadily
emerged as a dynamic regional
grouping contributing to
economic development and
security in the region”.
Washington has over the past
few months signaled its
willingness to give a re-look to its
policies on Afghanistan and
Obama, during his visit to India,
not only lauded and endorsed
New Delhi’s role in the war-
ravaged country, but also
announced US plan to launch
joint developmental projects with
India there.
Highly placed officials in New
Delhi, however, said that India
would like to engage with Russia
and other like-minded members
of the SCO on the security issues
in Central Asia as well as in
Afghanistan.

While its not mentioned every where, the Russians supporting us and advising us to join as a full member has been discussed before.

This is why i was saying before in another thread that, once our leaders think they have juiced as much as they can from West they will join SCO.

After all once neighbor's are important at the end of the day. Regarding the Russians convincing us, talks for this are of public knowledge, i think it was Vladimir Radyuhin the Russian ambassdor to India himself once spoke of benefits to the region and to us by joining SCO.

That was the reason why I asked. Russia initially wanted India to join and handed India an invitation, but that was a while ago. What surprised me was how quickly India decided on joining right after Russia started working more closely with Pakistan. I would have expected Russia to get India in first before giving Pakistan its backing.

It might not. But people like Colonel Purohit will disagree. If it works then it's a good move for security in Asia.

sir, i expected a better response from you especially since u r a "think tank".

u ought to know that ultra right wing nationalists parties are present in every country be it US, Russia or pakistan. our country is no different.

each army has rogue people who side with extremists. Lt col purohit was the first person from india. he has ben caught and awaiting justice in india courts. let me not remind u about association pf pak army with extremists. it will only open can of worms and de-rail the thread.

BTW, in wat sense is Col purohit remotely connected to india joining SCO.

we expect more credibility and relevance from u r posts. thanx.

Back
Top Bottom