What's new

India seeks full membership of SCO

Nope. Not good. I am against the idea of India joining ANY camp for that matter. We've got the best of both sides due to our dislike for joining factions and that is the best way to remain so without agitating either side. Besides, SCO is a liability if we look at it properly: we have jittery ties to China, Russia is the only significant ally in this group while Central Asian gas is difficult to attain either without retaking Pak- side of Kashmir or otherwise. So what does this get us? An alliance of liability and discomfort.

I really hope better sense prevails a leadership that has a record of corrupt mismanagement in governance in the entire history of our ancient country.

While I share your desire of India not joining any block, I am also of the view that being a member of the SCO does not entail joining any block. SCO is not a military alliance like the NATO or the erstwhile Warsaw Pact. In fact geographically speaking, the SCO makes much more sense than BRICS or ASEAN for that matter. The fact that India is involved in all these diverse organisations demonstrates India's desire of not joining any specific military alliance.

Our 'Jittery ties' with China are have more to do with the border issue, which is clearly not within the ambit of the SCO. However, don't you think that vigorous interaction with China will help stabilise those 'Jittery ties'. Is n't it better to engage China more actively? In the interest of our bilateral ties? Well, the SCO is another forum for engaging not only China but also Russia, Pakistan and all the others. Active engagement between nations is never a bad thing. It helps reduce tensions, sort out differences and foster friendship.

The reason that Russia is the only significant friend in this group should be all the more reason for us to join this group. Don't we want to make new friends? Especially friends who are very energy rich?

To access Central Asia gas, we do not have to recapture Pak Occupied Kashmir. No one is capturing or recapturing territory nowadays. Those things belong to the distant past. To access Central Asian Gas, all we need is better relations with Pakistan and China. Do not forget, we can access gas through China also. Central Asia supplies gas. To have that gas move to India through Afghanistan and Pakistan, is there a better way than to join an organisation which has all these countries as members.

That is the way I look at it. There are only pluses from joining the SCO and no minuses. Isolationism is not the way today. We should even renew our diplomatic efforts of joining the OIC. But we have to do that without compromising our core interests.

I don't think SCO is really an economic cooperation organization as a security one. Economic cooperation can be done with BRIC or SAARC or just informally.

sir, i expected a better response from you especially since u r a "think tank".

u ought to know that ultra right wing nationalists parties are present in every country be it US, Russia or pakistan. our country is no different.

each army has rogue people who side with extremists. Lt col purohit was the first person from india. he has ben caught and awaiting justice in india courts. let me not remind u about association pf pak army with extremists. it will only open can of worms and de-rail the thread.

BTW, in wat sense is Col purohit remotely connected to india joining SCO.

we expect more credibility and relevance from u r posts. thanx.

yes alright. I'm sure we'll find out eventually how it's meant to work.

BRIC and SCO have different objectives.

Exactly. Not only is SCO regional orientated for obvious reasons. They also contain military and counter terrorism elements. Whereas BRICS are entirely focused on the economic interests of the fastest growing developing countries.

you reaallly think indian could have a pipe line built through afghan from central asia?
on which earth?

No it isn't. SAARC has nothing to do with security in South Asia. It is not able to do anything security wise anyway. Same with ASEAN.

SCO is about security. It may only be used within its borders but it is to ensure stability through military power.

If some country covertly seeks to destabilize a region of SCO, then this will be sorted out through SCO (as i read it).

If some country overtly does it, then SCO would be there to act as a defence bloc, or it eventually will (this is my interpretation).

It will be interesting to see whether they do accept both India and Pakistan because there are quite a lot of false flags going on in India to blame Pakistan and insurgencies being funded.

No i assure you India would have fully evaluated these terms and if it was a military block ( which it might be) directed against the US India will never join it. India will fully commit to SCO security goals as long as they are not perceived as a threat from the west.

you don't know India is scared of China joining SAARC? China is also part of south asia, but you guys fear China's join might affect you as "regional leader" and refuse China's joining, that make SAARC almost non-exsited. and the whole south asia is kept away from an economic boom.

do you know all south asian nations hate you?

Sorry friend i beleive it is apt for China to be as an observer state and same will be for the US.
And as for the bolded part i really dont care.

if india join the sco then its trouble with pakistan and other will come to table, so why not save us from indians' trouble by staying outside of the SCO?

if india join the sco then its trouble with pakistan and other will come to table, so why not save us from indians' trouble by staying outside of the SCO?

i am sure these matters will be discussed by all SCO permanent members with consultations from the concerned observer states and if they find it trouble some i beleive India's bid will be rejected. Let see what unfolds in the next few months.

No i assure you India would have fully evaluated these terms and if it was a military block ( which it might be) directed against the US India will never join it. India will fully commit to SCO security goals as long as they are not perceived as a threat from the west.

India has applied for membership. SCO isn't going to accept member countries who refuse to do things for the benefit of the SCO region.

So if India is accepted, it will tow SCO's policy line.

India has applied for membership. SCO isn't going to accept member countries who refuse to do things for the benefit of the SCO region.

So if India is accepted, it will tow SCO's policy line.

Read my post no. 54. I am sure SCO is aware of that and if they not find these terms suitable they are welcome to reject it.

unless india and pakistan find a way to solve the disputes, it is definitely a great bad and stupid idea to let the two join the sco.

Read my post no. 54. I am sure SCO is aware of that and if they not find these terms suitable they are welcome to reject it.

Why has India applied then? It sounds like they've accepted it. SCO policy isn't going to be US friendly.

i think we shud join it:lol:
SAARC is group,even we have india pakistan in it...
watever its ,a failure or not...

Back
Top Bottom