What's new

India’s vanishing Parsis

This is our guardian angel, the Faravahar

Faravahar is a symbol of national pride for Iranians. Many of us have it as a necklace, and if you go to Persian restaurants and other shops abroad you will usually see Faravahars being displayed.

Here is a picture of my own Faravahar necklace:
rr8tu0.jpg

Air Commodore Perci Edul Virjee - Parsi Officer in charge of our AWAC's project.

Air Commodore Perci Edul Virjee - Parsi Officer in charge of our AWAC's project.

It shows what the minorities are doing for pakistan then pakistan doing for them, Also go paste his pic on ur wall this thread is about India.

It shows what the minorities are doing for pakistan then pakistan doing for them, Also go paste his pic on ur wall this thread is about India.

We need more Parsis..if not for the community , for the nation. We need more Sam Manekshaws, Tatas & Boman Iranis..not to mention more Nauheed Cyrusis.:smitten:

I have visited Iran (specifically to Tehran) couple of times for professional purposes. I had lots of prejudices before visiting this great country. But i tell you one thing, after this visiting this great country the reality were quite contrary to my prejudices. The people (atleast the ones i have met) are very liberal and rational and are proud of their civilizational heritage. Unlike most islamic arabic countries (i have travelled extensively in Middle East) they were less religious. I felt that most of them are agnostic in nature.Upon getting close with them, i asked them that why in spite being a islamic country people are less religious. They told me that, if there is no religious restrictions by the current regime lots of people would leave the religion. As per them, In that huge building only a few people regularly offer namaz it seems. There are lots of interesting things i have experienced in this country. I will be visiting iran again next week, this time to Shiraz, Isfahan again.
Maybe they were too polite being in the company of a sub-continental Muslim, and would have wanted to spare your sentiments.

Just a possibility?

I mean what do you say to someone who is a convert and has done all in his power to cut himself off from and dissociate himself from his roots.

Especially when you yourself belong to a people for whom roots are everything?

I felt that most of them are agnostic in nature.Upon getting close with them, i asked them that why in spite being a islamic country people are less religious. They told me that, if there is no religious restrictions by the current regime lots of people would leave the religion.

I think so too.

The real reason why the muslims of Pakistan like Developer are afraid of that and want to deny that is they fear it will start a domino effect on them as well. That people would start reverting to their roots and guess what ? that is the doomsday scenario for Pakistan. For what is Pakistan if it is not different from India ? :)

Kind of puts the kaibosh on the whole 'everyone in Bharat is a Hindu' mantra, doesn't it?

No it doesnt. Read my post. Anyone from the west of Bharatvarsh were considered mlecchas and of impure blood.

In any case, unfortunately for you, we are not talking about 'those days', but these days, and it is the Parsis who are adamant about maintaining their racial purity and excluding indigenous blood.

I do find it immensely amusing to see the Hindu and Parsi extremists jumping through hoops to celebrate their racial purity. Hilarious that, in this day and age, there are people who actually obsess about and celebrate such things as 'racial purity'. But, then again, that's the nature of the extremist ideology.

It's cute when you run out of rebuttals and start throwing random words around.

No its rather cute and funny when you have to exhibit your insecurity about some random Iranian reverting to his roots.

Every culture pass through different phase

1. Birth:
2. Growth:
3. Barbarism :
4. Maturity:
5. Decline :
6. Survival:

You think a religion/culture, you find the same 6 phase. Islam is in phase 3, Parsi/Hinduism/Judaism is in phase 6, Christianity is in phase 4.

Feel free to disagree.

A keeper. *likes*

I am only answering because you mentioned me in your post.

All I will say is that Shia, including Iranian Shia, do not view Islam as an Arabian imposition, emphasis on 'imposition'

So, to answer your point, the Iranian-Arabian racial rivalry will not have any impact on the Shia faith. I know you will not believe it, because you want to believe something else but, until you understand the Shia psyche, you simply will not understand the solid security of the faith. If anything, the Iranians see themselves as the fort of Shia Islam. Like I wrote, the Iranians have been celebrating Zoroastrian festivals for centuries -- they never stopped -- but that's as far as it goes.

Their attraction to Shia to many may not out of the love of it, but to split in the face of Arabs that we are different from you. That we have not been overrun by you.

Today that expression finds a vent in the form of Shia islam due to state tutelage, tomorrow it may be Zoroastrianism.

As I said, how you Pakistanis view Islam is not a yardstick of how different populations view Islam.
p.s.: Looks like an Iranian has said the same.

The real reason why the muslims of Pakistan like Developer are afraid of that and want to deny that is they fear it will start a domino effect on them as well.

Cute, but no cigar.

As I mentioned, the Shias of Pakistan have no allegiance to Iranian Shia, nor is there any reverse effect. Whatever happens in Iran will have no effect on Pakistani/Indian Shias. The reason I commented was purely in the interests of keeping the discussion here honest and to inject a dose of reality into the fantasy being peddled here.

Some Iranians here are playing along because the Indians feed their ego with on-demand anti-Arab rants. The Iranian-Arab-Turkish conflict is in the forefront these days because of Syria and other events.

Like I mentioned, in the US and elsewhere, where there are no restrictions on religion, the ex-pat Iranians are not "reverting" to anything.

Somehow lost this epic photo op (I'm becoming a convert!) ;)

jpyl93.jpg

Hassan Khomaini, Grandson of Ayatollah Khomaini visits Tehran Fire Temple , Tehran
Zoroastrian Anjoman and Yeganegi Library on Thursday, July 10th 2008. He
and his team were weclomed by Head of Tehran Mobeds Council (Dr. Mobed
Ardeshir Khorshidian) , Head of Tehran Zoroastrian Anjoman (Mr. Allayar
Daneshmand), Zoroastrian Rep in Iran Parliament (Dr. Esfandiar
Ekhtiari), Mrs. Tooran Bahrami (prominent Zoroastrian poet) and others.

Did he convert to Zoroastrianism?

You guys simply don't understand the concept of Musims/Jews/Christians being comfortable respecting their alternative heritages. It must come from the fascist Hindutva brainwashing you undergo while growing up in India.

Hamid Dabashi is a good reference to understand the dynamics of Iranian society.

Basically, there is an elitist, urban segment of Iranian society which is anti-Islam and anti-Arab. However, the bad news for Indians here is that these Iranians view themselves as Europeans "stuck" in the Middle East -- they have racist views, not just against Arabs, but also Turks, Indians, Africans and even other "non-European" Iranians. It is true that these people would reject Islam; they might toy with Zoroastrianism as a fad, but their ultimate aim is to mimic white European culture.

Faravahar is a symbol of national pride for Iranians. Many of us have it as a necklace, and if you go to Persian restaurants and other shops abroad you will usually see Faravahars being displayed.

Here is a picture of my own Faravahar necklace:
rr8tu0.jpg

Its beautiful! The detailing especially and workmanship.

Maybe a slight cultural shift, but here the girls and kids wear the Farvahar in a circle (like yours) and boys wear it without the circle - dont know why exactly, but that's what I have seen in my and many other Parsi families.

!B8glmG!CGk~%24(KGrHqZ,!mEEy%2BjCzGFUBM3PsBrHzw~~_3.JPG

Also no one yet has given me a half decent authentic answer as to which way should the Faravahar's head face? I've seen a 50:50 split. Any idea :)

Cute, but no cigar.

As I mentioned, the Shias of Pakistan have no allegiance to Iranian Shia, nor is there any reverse effect.

Hasn't stopped you from being the uninvited spokesperson of every Shia on the planet either, has it?

Whatever happens in Iran will have no effect on Pakistani/Indian Shias.

Zoroastrianism has no interest in Pakistani/Indian or any non-Iranian Shia Muslim either.

The concept of blood is extremely strong amongst Zoroastrians and Hindus and Jews. Not so in faiths that grew and spread inorganically.

The reason I commented was purely in the interests of keeping the discussion here honest and to inject a dose of reality into the fantasy being peddled here.

All Indians and Iranians here are only too painfully aware of your reasons. The only person peddling anything here is finding no buyers. As it should be amongst people of ancient faiths.

Some Iranians here are playing along because the Indians feed their ego with on-demand anti-Arab rants. The Iranian-Arab-Turkish conflict is in the forefront these days because of Syria and other events.

I have not seen a SINGLE Iranian here who badmouths Zoroastrianism. Nor one who buys into the exclusivity of Islam over all else as is prevalent in other Islamic thought-streams we sub-continental people are sadly more used to. Thanks mainly to you guys of course.

Like I mentioned, in the US and elsewhere, where there are no restrictions on religion, the ex-pat Iranians are not "reverting" to anything.

Again you speak for the entire expat Iranian population based on your individual sampling. If anecdotal viewpoints win debates, I should simply back away.

Or come up with diametrically opposite stories of Iranians flocking to ZYA meets (a HUGE number do) and increasingly looking to read and learn about their faith from those of us who never stopped practicing it.

The problem lies in the lack of missionary zeal amongst Zoroastrian Parsis. Our faith was never geared in that way. But we need to change. We have a responsibility as keepers of the faith and the flame. Iran looks to us. Young Iranians look to us. And in the final analysis, looking at Iran's strategic cornerstone role, the world and humanity looks to us.

Did he convert to Zoroastrianism?

Do you even understand or remotely comprehend the role the Ayatollah plays in Iran? Seeing his blood in front of the atash padshah has made me more of a believer than the last 6 months battling with Iranians here.

You guys simply don't understand the concept of Musims/Jews/Christians being comfortable respecting their alternative heritages. It must come from the fascist Hindutva brainwashing you undergo while growing up in India.

A Pakistani is telling an Indian that? It would be mildly amusing had the novelty of the shock value not worn off a long ago for me here.

they might toy with Zoroastrianism as a fad

Zoroastrianism has been around for far longer than all other monothiestic faiths put together.

It may give you vicarious thrills to lash out feebly and demean it by calling it a fad.

If Zoroastrianism is a fad for Iranians, what does that make Islam?

Unlike you, I do not pass crass statements about another faith. I just leave the question hanging in the air.

For the unbiased to find answers to.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom