What's new

India’s perceived responsibility to protect Sri Lanka

Is that so? So why were the laws brought into effect only after Hindu groups started attacking Christians? Did the higher ups believe the Hindus over the Christians?

Whay are you going off topic, once again read the Original Post and then get back to post, If you want to talk about Conversion and Moaist, there are many threads running here, even you can find one on Toilet also.

So please come back to topic.

It's clear that you have no idea about what you're talking about. Your sole intention is to troll, so I'm not going to bother about replying to you anymore. If you had a little decency, you'd do some basic research before asking your questions.

I would have to say that I know more about India than you give me credit for.

Is that so? So why were the laws brought into effect only after Hindu groups started attacking Christians? Did the higher ups believe the Hindus over the Christians?

Laws are enacted when there is a necessity,not other way around.I think you not only need to take another look at the Anti-Conversion law,but also,the very topic of,"Why do we need law?"

I would have to say that I know more about India than you give me credit for.

wow..you dont even know about the anti-conversion law,did not even go through its clauses,and still you think you can debate over the topic.I think that speaks volumes about your proclamation.

wow..you dont even know about the anti-conversion law,did not even go through its clauses,and still you think you can debate over the topic.I think that speaks volumes about your proclamation.

I know that the anti-conversion law is against religious freedom and personal belief and is so loosely worded that minority religious groups can be persecuted at will.

Remember this when you run about the forums and elsewhere pretending that all is hunky dory in India and that religious, ethnic, and caste minorities are not discriminated against.

I know that the anti-conversion law is against religious freedom and personal belief and is so loosely worded that minority religious groups can be persecuted at will.

Can you highlight those loose words??

Can you highlight those loose words??

Just read the definitions as you will.

It's funny how we have all these posters rushing to defend a pathetic piece of legislation.

India can do no wrong huh?

my comments is,

the Chinese members are really decent guys, no one even bother to come in.

think of it, if it's a China titled thread like "china,bla, vietnam", Indian IDs would swarm in...

longly India, thanks to your want-to-be-a-power dogma set by your so-smart congress party since independence...

Just read the definitions as you will.

It's funny how we have all these posters rushing to defend a pathetic piece of legislation.

India can do no wrong huh?

where are the highlighted 'loose words'?? Or there arent any??

India has created the life long headache of LTTE terrorist for India, and now its campaiging for human rights abuses in putting fown the insurgency.
I dont understand the duplicity of the world here. If terrorist are killed in Pakistan or India = good..terrorist killing in Lanka = abuse of human rights..the world should comend that with Pakistan and efforts and Lankan forces, the LTTE insurgency was finally showed the way out.

Video proves Sri Lanka war crimes, says UN expert
By FRANK JORDANS | AP

Published: May 30, 2011 12:48 Updated: May 30, 2011 12:48

GENEVA: A UN human rights expert says gruesome new footage from the final days of Sri Lanka’s civil war is authentic and proves war crimes took place there, challenging the government’s claim that videos showing the army executing captured rebels in May 2009 are faked.

The UN’s independent investigator on extrajudicial killings says the five-minute video obtained by Britain’s Channel 4 corroborates an earlier, shorter video showing blindfolded, naked men being shot dead at close range.

“What is reflected in the extended video are crimes of the highest order — definitive war crimes,” the UN investigator, South African law professor Christof Heyns, said in a report released Monday to the global body’s Human Rights Council.

Heyns said he reviewed the footage showing the apparent execution of unarmed men and women with technical and forensic experts. “The overall conclusion reached by the experts is that the video is authentic and the events reflected in the video footage occurred as depicted,” he told the council Sri Lanka’s government has maintained that the video is not real.

“We don’t accept it. We have proven beyond any doubt that this is not authentic,” said Lakshman Hulugalla, director general of the government’s Media Center for National Security.

He added, “if they say this is authentic, then they should get an authentication certificate from a reputed institution to prove that it’s not fake. So far, no has submitted such a certificate on this.” The new footage is expected to re-ignite debate in the Geneva-based body about a Sept. 2009 resolution that effectively endorsed the Sri Lankan military’s crushing of the Tamil Tiger rebels after decades of civil war, despite claims of war crimes by human rights groups.

The UN’s High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, told the council Monday at the opening of its three-week meeting that it should “reflect on the new information” and reconsider the resolution.

Her comments were echoed by diplomats from western countries including the United States.

“This Council must consider the serious abuses that have been documented and brought to our attention by the panel,” said US Ambassador Eileen Chamberlain Donahoe.

“Sri Lanka must quickly and credibly address allegations of violations of international human rights and humanitarian law during the conflict, no matter which side committed them,” she added.

But African and Islamic members of the 47-nation Human Rights Council moved to quell any attempt to reopen the debate on Sri Lanka’s conduct at the end of the war.

“The international community must support national efforts to win the peace in Sri Lanka,” said Pakistan’s ambassador Zamir Akram, speaking on behalf of the Organization of the Islamic Conference, which has a powerful presence in the council.

Akram said a recent report by the office of UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon was “primarily based on second-hand information that was never verified.” The UN report claimed Sri Lankan government forces deliberately targeted civilians and hospitals, and blocked food and medicine for hundreds of thousands of civilians trapped in the war zone. It also accuses the Tamil Tigers of recruiting child soldiers, using civilians as human shields and killing those trying to flee from their grip.

Ban has said he would need a mandate from either the Sri Lankan government or the UN’s Human Rights Council, Security Council or General Assembly in order to initiate an international inquiry into allegations of war crimes by both sides.

The UN estimates that between 80,000-100,000 people may have been killed in the war, including at least 7,000 ethnic Tamil civilians killed in the last five months of the conflict.

© 2010 Arab News

Like I said read the definitions. If you can't do that I can't help you.

:lol: you read only up to that much and made up your mind.Now that is what I call selective reading.

Back
Top Bottom