What's new

India’s One Basket Diplomacy

i think india should push, not to appeal to political parties, but to the people using soft power. if West bengal does well now under didi, and in the long term, it will push for better governance in BD on the economic front, and BD can achive its economic potential easily by trade with india. We should be a little more concerned about west bengal, and pushing BD to grow at india's growth rate.

The blue-print of kargil war was being made even when Indian PM A.B.Vajpayee was in Pakistan for peace talks.So who is the backstabber genius??
It seemed like General S. Padmanabhan was partying with MQMITE Busharraf (Ahem Musharraf), while making that blue print otherwise how on earth he accurately predicted about limited AKA Kargil conflict ahead of time? :cheesy:And Mush's Catch-23 type magical claim against Ganja's hijaking him failed flat in court when his council was undone to produce black box of returning flight. Need I continue on MQM's Quaid's comment on the greatest historical-tragedy or it would be enough to call it Chanakya bluff?:P

In 1975 the pro-Indians got wiped out in Bangladesh and that could happen again. Who knows? Bangladeshis can get very emotional when provoked and India just keeps pushing. Just a matter of time till someone pushes back.

If you were incharge of BD.. you would have pushed BD into a war for sure....

We don't want to fight anyone without a cause.

Does anyone?? but you'r fellow countrymen keep spitting poison against India out of their own misunderstandings or maybe to please certain audience. I becomes very irritating

Does anyone?? but you'r fellow countrymen keep spitting poison against India out of their own misunderstandings or maybe to please certain audience. I becomes very irritating

Nice English.

But no, Bangladesh is not interested in any war with India. The other way around, if India were to military interfere in Bangladesh, that would compromise India's security.

Bangladesh has always maintained a very moderate foreign policy. Much of Bangladesh's problems in the context of India are internal.

i think india should push, not to appeal to political parties, but to the people using soft power. if West bengal does well now under didi, and in the long term, it will push for better governance in BD on the economic front, and BD can achive its economic potential easily by trade with india. We should be a little more concerned about west bengal, and pushing BD to grow at india's growth rate.

Well the ADB predicts that BD will grow around 1% a year less than India over the long term. This fiscal Bangladesh should achive around 7% as opposed to India's 8.5%. This is worrying for BD as the already substantial gap in GDP/capita(india has 3,400 as opposed to BD's 1,700 at GDP/capita US PPP) will then grow larger still. The ADB projects that Indian's will be nearly three times as rich as Bangladeshis by 2050.

I personally think that Bangladesh is actually likely to grow quicker than India over the long term as Bangladesh should be able to model itself on the faster growing Indian states and will not be hampered by the slow moving, somes almost gridlocked, decision making processed that the federal Indian state is stuck with. Let's see what happens over this decade as if Bangladesh cannot grow quicker than India(BD government plans around 10% GDP growth by 2017) by the end of this decade, then India could just leave Bangladesh far behind

Well the ADB predicts that BD will grow around 1% a year less than India over the long term. This fiscal Bangladesh should achive around 7% as opposed to India's 8.5%. This is worrying for BD as the already substantial gap in GDP/capita(india has 3,400 as opposed to BD's 1,700 at GDP/capita US PPP) will then grow larger still. The ADB projects that Indian's will be nearly three times as rich as Bangladeshis by 2050.

I personally think that Bangladesh is actually likely to grow quicker than India over the long term as Bangladesh should be able to model itself on the faster growing Indian states and will not be hampered by the slow moving, somes almost gridlocked, decision making processed that the federal Indian state is stuck with. Let's see what happens over this decade as if Bangladesh cannot grow quicker than India(BD government plans around 10% GDP growth by 2017) by the end of this decade, then India could just leave Bangladesh far behind

Good post.

Access to energy is a serious problem in Bangladesh at the moment. Another point is that Dhaka happens to be the center of all economic growth. I can honestly say that at one point, Dhaka would simply overload.

Population control is also an important issue, especially in rural areas of Bangladesh.

It takes more than simply numbers to actually be self sufficient with a high human development index.

Good post.

Access to energy is a serious problem in Bangladesh at the moment. Another point is that Dhaka happens to be the center of all economic growth. I can honestly say that at one point, Dhaka would simply overload.

Population control is also an important issue, especially in rural areas of Bangladesh.

It takes more than simply numbers to actually be self sufficient with a high human development index.

Well, I am cautiously optimistic on both the energy and infrastructure fronts. Electricity power generation is now edging upwards due to the large numbers of rental power plants that have come online and this is important for industry. Infrastructure will be boosted by 31% this year as opposed to the last fiscal and so there should be more new bridges and roads built. A lot depends if the massive new power projects like the nuclear and coal powered plants start coming online as planned between 2015-2017. This would eliminate any power deficits and industry should have plenty of power to expand.

Despite what some people say about the Awami league I personally do not think they are doing too badly. Their short and medium plans on infrastructure seem sensible.

Well, I am cautiously optimistic on both the energy and infrastructure fronts. Electricity power generation is now edging upwards due to the large numbers of rental power plants that have come online and this is important for industry. Infrastructure will be boosted by 31% this year as opposed to the last fiscal and so there should be more new bridges and roads built. A lot depends if the massive new power projects like the nuclear and coal powered plants start coming online as planned between 2015-2017. This would eliminate any power deficits and industry should have plenty of power to expand.

Despite what some people say about the Awami league I personally do not think they are doing too badly. Their short and medium plans on infrastructure seem sensible.

I haven't heard of any major nuclear project. The only one I know of is an MoU signed with Russia. But, I think there is a long time to go for that.

There are various infrastructure projects in Dhaka. Some are managed by private companies of foreign origin. My only criticism is the slow implementation of the government projects. They take a long time to build a simple bridge, and often do not meet the deadlines set by the ADB. The ADB agreement came about during the BNP administration.

The reason why people say badly about the Hasina-led AL is because of political instability, and the deteriorating law & order situation. Many analysts are saying that peace and stability are under threat. There is going to be a BNP-Jamaat led hartal on the 5th this month.

The peace and stability part is an unknown one. And it matters when it comes to development and prosperity.

Hasina is trying to establish a one party state like her father tried.

I find odd that many of her "sisters", including her real sister Sheikh Rahena who barely have a high school degree are all very rich :lol:

Most of the infrastructure and power projects are still on paper and have not even been started yet. The AL are already behind schedule. There are probably only one or two road projects in Dhaka which are ongoing but these should have been finished 6 months back. As for the rental power projects these are mostly to favour AL business people and actually contribute very little to the grid. The last I heard only two of the rental power projects are actually operational. The nuclear and power plants will not get off the ground for another 10 years and they will only bring new power to the grid after 15 years. The only project which is making any significant progress is the Indian transit facility of which we will derive no benefit since fees are unlikely to be charged.

If you were incharge of BD.. you would have pushed BD into a war for sure....

If you mean that I would not have bent to Indian pressure and bullying and this would have caused India to attack Bangladesh and the BD army and people retaliate then you are probably right.

Good post.

As far as i knew, Chittagong's GDP per capita was higher than Dhaka, cant provide any reference, but that is what i knew. Chittagong is quite developed when it comes to industrialization, but downside is that corporate culture has not developed there.

Why are bangladeshis irritated by the fencing of the border?You are saying u support the mass illegal immigrations?
On one hand we are all evil bullies and on the other u are opposed to stopping of immigration from ur lands,contradiction?

I'm a little irritated as to always being described as india bullying bangaldeah.
Tell me in precise terms what steps what india needs to do to assure bangladeshis of their friendship,and not vague terms like bullying and interference which u can't provide any proof of and are just speculations without proof,tell me in terms of projects,joint policy on issues, facilities and joint development projects.
I'm bengali so bangladeshis harbouring hatred towards us is sad for me.

Back
Top Bottom