What's new

India’s One Basket Diplomacy

Bangladesh has always maintained a moderate foreign policy.

As far as India's interests in Bangladesh goes, it is rarely a good idea to bank everything on one party. Sheikh Hasina is not very popular at the moment. Has been going down that way since the Pilkhana tragedy.

Khaleda Zia has stated that BNP is interested in having good relations with India.

Hope this time the relation remains same during BNP period too. From the Indian PoV, if we do not distinguish between somebody who wants to work with us and somebody who want to get vote by posturing against us, we will lose both of them.
Why would somebody commit electoral suicide by allying with us, if we cant show visible positive reason for doing so.

That is the point. India is not allowing BD to determine its own policies. India is interfering in the internal affairs of BD so the country follows the dictation of New Delhi.

If BD can not resist indian "involvement" & "interference", then its your govt & politicians that are impotent. Dont blame India for all your failures, esp when we helped you to get born.

BD, just do what is good for you. We will try doing what is best for us. No point in mindless accusations and counter accusations.

:cheers:

Hope this time the relation remains same during BNP period too. From the Indian PoV, if we do not distinguish between somebody who wants to work with us and somebody who want to get vote by posturing against us, we will lose both of them.
Why would somebody commit electoral suicide by allying with us, if we cant show visible positive reason for doing so.

I don't know what "Indian point of view" are you talking about.

Most of us here have the luxury of having our own ideologies, may it be any form of nationalism, secularism, feminism, Communism, Capitalism, Islamism, and all manner lisms'. And of-course, toys, BIG EXPENSIVE TOYS :bounce:

Most people in Bangladesh in fact do not care about ideologies. There are many poor people in Bangladesh, many unable to have three square meals a day and struggle to have a roof over their heads all their lives. Do you think that they would be busy with what ideology is good or bad? Or if AL or BNP is better? They just want to have easy access to food on their tables and a roof over their heads, and a self sufficient one at that.

And since the poor (who are the majority) do not have Internet or any form of access to technology, I'll speak for them.

You see, when the poor people of Bangladesh see Hasina focusing on building multi-billion dollar airports and monuments over her dead father, it really doesn't help as far as a good image goes.
New int'l airport to cost Tk 50,000cr
Airport on other side of Padma: PM
Glass tower gets green light

That money alone could have been better spent. And the current airport is not even used fully to its potential. The current one is more than enough to meet Bangladesh's requirements. The new airport would cost around $7.5 billion. The glass monument to be completed by June next year, costing around $200 million.

Then there is the stock market scandals in which many small investors lost a lot of money. Much of those scandals are done by AL men. Salman Rahman (an AL man) is one of them.

There is also a lot of infighting within the AL gangs, and of-course with others. They also happen to commit much of the crime in Bangladesh, and they get blessings from politicians as well. For example, if they steal your car, you'll never see it again, or see the culprits captured. There are BNP gangs, but AL ones are nastier and more widespread, especially when the AL comes to power. Hasina don't do anything about them.

I drive my car alone at night = I die.

Then, I see all these propaganda posters of Hasina showing how good she is and all, hugging little kids, feeding them medicine, etc. You see, that is the kind of thing that angers people. Even the entrance to the airport has a greeting poster of Hasina. Even during the ICC World Cup.

Doesn't bode well for India either if it simply banks everything on one party as far as Bangladesh goes.

Honestly, I don't think the two women are actually interested in a self-sufficient Bangladesh. They are only interested in themselves for the most part.

Political instability in Bangladesh is highly probable and might be a threat as well. More so than climate change.

@desioptimist
Don't mean to be pushing India to solve Bangladesh's problems or anything like that. I just recommend that GOI keeps an open policy toward Bangladesh. Regardless if BNP or AL. And remember, money really talks in Bangladeshi politics right now.

India wants to sell around 250 MW electricity to BD, their second real (first one is to transfer electricity from west to NE at lower cost using our national grid) purpose could be to supply power to the proposed 200 acre Indian Industrial Area in Sunamgonj/Mymonsing on govt. property for 50 Indian companies. These all are possible for AL and India's one basket policy.

@desioptimist
Don't mean to be pushing India to solve Bangladesh's problems or anything like that. I just recommend that GOI keeps an open policy toward Bangladesh. Regardless if BNP or AL. And remember, money really talks in Bangladeshi politics right now.

Well I was just thinking about GoI stand on why it supports one party and not other. I am sure India's interest is better served if our dealing with bangladesh is broad-based, and we can be assured of cooperation whoever is in power there.
I am no way saying AL is better than BNP, that is for bangladeshis to decide.
All I was trying to point out is BNP is anti-India anyway. So instead of dealing with both of them equally, and risking AL being anti-India too, GoI is tilted in favour of AL.
Now that BNP is more willing to deal with India, I am sure India will change its hostility.

Why some bangaladeshi believs that India is responsible for their problems and India will solve their Problems. You should solve your problem by your self because we have too many problems and we are sovlving them and now you people blaming us that we should also solve your issues ? but how ?. If india is selling something to you it means we also want something because nothing is free in this world.just read 30 years history of modern history

what happened in 1975??what is its significance in present context?

In 1975 the pro-Indians got wiped out in Bangladesh and that could happen again. Who knows? Bangladeshis can get very emotional when provoked and India just keeps pushing. Just a matter of time till someone pushes back.

what happened in 1975??what is its significance in present context?

The solution found was to kill your own nationals.

@the topic, we need to grant the same level of intelligence to others as we give ourselves. Politicians are the same the world over. South Block knows what its doing.

In 1975 the pro-Indians got wiped out in Bangladesh and that could happen again. Who knows? Bangladeshis can get very emotional when provoked and India just keeps pushing. Just a matter of time till someone pushes back.

hmm.. that answers the first part.Now we come to the second part,"What is the relevance to the present context?"

Back
Top Bottom