What's new

India relations with GCC(middle East)

Do you think India is more close to GCC than Iran

• Yes

• NO

• Closer to GCC but portrayed closer to Iran

• Security/strategy wise closer to Iran but economically closer to GCC

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just to add up in the post, after searching on the net, i found that Oman and Qatar are few of the Gulf nations which has some defence stargic ties with India...And with the list of friends who stood with India at different period of time, Oman stood our far ahead than others...

Honestly, this is a news to me..I was not expecting that any of the GCC nations would have such good support to India...

India's missed opportunities

Oman has been closer to India more than some of our South Asian neighbors even. From my personal experience, every Omani I've met has been the most cordial human being and they absolutely love Indians. They also have a Hindu family with Omani citizenship(google for Khimji family) and there was even a rumor that the royal family of Oman arranged for ceremonies in Indian temples for cure of the Sultan's recent illness.

I don't get why some (many?) Indians hate Arabs when they allow us to go to their country and work there, to rise and own massive businesses, to outnumber them (like Oman which is 80% Indian), when we have strong cultural ties with them? Our problem is with pakistans not muslims. Idiots need to learn the difference.

I highly doubt that the 200 million Indian Muslims hate Arabs (rather the opposite due to historical, cultural, religious, linguistic, economic and even ancestral reasons for quite a few) while I don't think that the average Indian hates Arabs either. Probably some prejudices but that's about it. That's my impression even here on PDF with so much trolling present. It's just that many people are ignorant of history in the world and shape their opinions of people and countries based on bad media news and absurd generalizations. People to people it's often completely different even between traditional "enemies".

As the reality shows and the historical one (well over 5000 year old trading and cultural ties) we have great economical relations and that's the main fundament between good friendly and respectful relations that are mutually beneficial.

Buddy, around 60% of Oman's population are local Omani Arabs. Around 1.7 million are expats/migrant workers mainly from South Asia most of which are Baloch people. Indeed there are also many Indians although the percentage of Indians is the biggest in the UAE of all GCC countries.:)

You can see how Oman, the GCC and Arab world looks like in this thread below.

The Arabian Peninsula and Arab world in photos

Also read more about Oman in this thread below.

In Oman, innovation meets tradition

It's one of the most beautiful countries in the region with absolutely stunning coastline, mountains and a lot of heritage, especially castles and forts. After all it was a leading colonial power in the region (Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean region) not long ago with possessions in Africa, ME and South Asia. For instance Oman owned Gwadar until the Omani sultan sold it to Pakistan in 1958.

History of Oman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In short Oman is a great country with an ancient history, very welcoming people and a lot to offer. It's one of the most peaceful countries on the planet too. You never hear anything bad happening there. You should visit and it's not that far from for instance Western India (Gujarat, Mumbai etc.)!

Cheers.:coffee:

@Sam.

Last edited:
India's missed opportunities

Oman has been closer to India more than some of our South Asian neighbors even. From my personal experience, every Omani I've met has been the most cordial human being and they absolutely love Indians. They also have a Hindu family with Omani citizenship(google for Khimji family) and there was even a rumor that the royal family of Oman arranged for ceremonies in Indian temples for cure of the Sultan's recent illness.

I have to say that I very much doubt the rumor that you have mentioned. It does not sound like something that a Muslim would do let alone an Ibadi Muslim like the Sultan. Although you never know.

Due to Ibadism's movement from Hijaz to Iraq and then further out, Ibadi historian al-Salimi once wrote that Ibadism is a bird whose egg was laid in Medina, then hatched in Basra and flew to Oman.[7]

Ibadi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are actually Hindu temples in several GCC countries. Among them Oman.

Hindu temple, Muscat
by Anirvan, on Flickr

Hinduism in Arab states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was surprised when I read this. I don't know much about Indian religions. Obviously much more about our own Abrahamic (Semitic) religions.

Sikkhism in Saudia Arabia

The 5 Udasis and other locations visited by Guru Nanak

Sikkhism and Hindu followers have practised Hinduism and Sikkhism together according the traditions of Guru Nanak. Although the exact account of his itinerary is disputed, he is widely acknowledged to have made four major journeys, spanning thousands of kilometres, the first tour being east towards Bengal, Assam and Manipur, the second south towards Sri Lanka, the third north towards Kashmir, Ladakh, Tibet and Arunachal Pradesh and the final tour west towards Baghdad, Mecca and Medina on the Arabian Peninsula. According to the Hindu community Guru Nanek and Hinduism is practised in Mecca and Medina [6]

Guru Nanak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"India opens its ears - European intelligence services are keenly speculating on the purpose of a listening post that has been active for at least two years on the outskirts of Ras al-Hadd, at the northeasternmost tip of Oman. Located on an isolated rocky plateau just 2 km from the sea, the site which is protected by police checkpoints in not among the listed US listening post in the country (see below), and it may be the first Indian listening post in the Persian Gulf. Several reasons make this likely. While Saudi Arabia and most other kingdoms in the region are allied to Pakistan, Oman has active diplomatic relations with India, with whom it signed a defence agreement in 2008. Construction of the Ras al-Hadd listening post was finished a year later. The facility is also located directly across the Arabian Sea from Pakistan. India has had an interception post in the far north of Madagascar since 2007 and is planning to build others in the Maldives, the Seychelles and Mauritius."

Indian-Listening-Post-Oman-Pakistan-R%25255B3%25255D.jpg

@Rashid Mahmood Is this true ???

I highly doubt that the 200 million Indian Muslims hate Arabs (rather the opposite due to historical, cultural, religious, linguistic, economic and even ancestral reasons for quite a few) while I don't think that the average Indian hates Arabs either. Probably some prejudices but that's about it. That's my impression even here on PDF with so much trolling present. It's just that many people are ignorant of history in the world and shape their opinions of people and countries based on bad media news and absurd generalizations. People to people it's often completely different even between traditional "enemies".

As the reality shows and the historical one (well over 5000 year old trading and cultural ties) we have great economical relations and that's the main fundament between good friendly and respectful relations that are mutually beneficial.

Buddy, around 60% of Oman's population are local Omani Arabs. Around 1.7 million are expats/migrant workers mainly from South Asia most of which are Baloch people. Indeed there are also many Indians although the percentage of Indians is the biggest in the UAE of all GCC countries.:)

You can see how Oman, the GCC and Arab world looks like in this thread below.

The Arabian Peninsula and Arab world in photos

Also read more about Oman in this thread below.

In Oman, innovation meets tradition

It's one of the most beautiful countries in the region with absolutely stunning coastline, mountains and a lot of heritage, especially castles and forts. After all it was a leading colonial power in the region (Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean region) not long ago with possessions in Africa, ME and South Asia. For instance Oman owned Gwadar until the Omani sultan sold it to Pakistan in 1958.

History of Oman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In short Oman is a great country with an ancient history, very welcoming people and a lot to offer. It's one of the most peaceful countries on the planet too. You never hear anything bad happening there. You should visit and it's not that far from for instance Western India (Gujarat, Mumbai etc.)!

@Sam.

Defence co-operation
Oman is the first Gulf nation to have formalised defence relations with India. Both countries conducted joint military exercises in 2006 and subsequently signed a defense agreement.[23] Following Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's visit to Oman in 2008, defence co-operation between the two countries was further stepped up. The Indian Navy has berthing rights in Oman,[24] and has been utilising Oman's ports as bases for conducting anti-piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden. The Indian Air Force has also been holding biannual joint exercises with the Royal Air Force of Oman since 2009.[25][26][27] Oman has approached India in order to fence along the Oman-Yemen border in order to protect the nation from growing unrest in Yemen.[28]

France-based global intelligence gathering organisation, Indigo Publications, stated in its Intelligence Online publication in January 2013, that a listening post had been constructed in Ras al-Hadd, Oman's north-easternmost point, within one year after signing the defence agreement between India and Oman in 2008. The post is located directly across from Gwadar Port in Balochistan, Pakistan, separated by approximately 400 km of the Arabian Sea. Access to the site where the post is located, is blocked by Omani police checkpoints. The post is not listed among the United States listening posts in Oman, leading European intelligence services to speculate that it is India's first listening post in the Persian Gulf.[29]

1944_1_rupee_Indian_stamp_for_use_in_Oman.jpg

imagesCANWP2YH.jpg

The Arabs in Oman/ Iraq/ Arabia/ Yemen/ UAE/ Jordan -- have been trading with Calicut since the past 6000 years, by ship.

images+%25281%2529.jpg

Their ships were made of Malabar teak. This is why they love to employ Keralites--as we where their benefactors for thousand of years--they survived on us till 100 years ago, when the oil boom started.
imagesCAFO2ZPD.jpg

Otherwise whatever they had was due to Kerala's largesse. They used to give us Silver in payment -- wonder where all the thousands of tonnes of it went?

ggg.png

The caravan also stoked up the Egyptian Pharaoh and Kings of Jerusalem . The kinds of Jerusalem had this Malayalam connection. King Solomon's seal is in Malayalam-- the picture is in Madame Blavastsky's book.
xxx.png

Till 160 years ago, India was the only source of diamonds--and Kolar field gave superior gold lode at almost ground levels.British stole all the gold from here and depleted the mine.

13280619.jpg

Mecca was an oasis on the caravan route, with a Shiva temple having a VERY POWERFUL Shiva Lingam ( black stone )for speeding up the chakras .the British call this as a PAGAN temple.

sd.png

This black stone has been broken up, by invaders and has lost most of its its power. it is enclosed in a silver sheath and installed on the SE corner of Kaaba 5 feet above the ground--HORIZONTALLY

imagesCAODY1XH.jpg

After Islam sanctioned 4 wives-- these Arab sailors had wives on both sides. And since Arabs are a handsome race, this mixing of blood has created very fair and beautiful women in Malabar.

imagesCASX1QX9.jpg

This mixed Hindu/ Muslim race , were NOT converted by force. the Arabs used these mixed half breed as their agents. They lived in harmony with the local Hindus, till the Muslim invaders used them as pawns for DIVIDE AND RULE tactics.

It must be remembered that the Zamorin's Navy was manned by Muslims--who under the brave and loyal Kunjali Marakkar, the admiral of the navy gave all Kerala's enemies a tough time.

imagesCA2VSFT8.jpg

Chirakkal pond ( Chira ) where the princesses of Varma family took bath is the size of 6 football fields. You can see it on Google earth.

imagesCA8ELVM2.jpg

Some flashback from the past i guess you will like it.

@Sam.

So you are from the beautiful region of Kerala? What a coincidence! I could almost feel it as it seems to me based on personal experience that Arabians and Arabs in general are really quick to bond/cooperate with the people of Kerala. Most of my Indian friends are from Kerala, Gujarat and Western/Southern India in general.

I also believe that there must have been some Hindu communities in Arabia before the appearance of the Abrahamic (Semitic) religions such as Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Early Hindu sects might even have coexisted in some parts of Arabia (mainly Southern) along with ancient pagan Semitic religions as surely throughout those 6000 years of mutual trade not only goods but people moved too and cultural practices. I don't know much about this topic but some historians might have written about this. I vaguely remember once reading about something similar.

Another thing that I have noticed. In Southern Arabia and areas of Hijaz it was/is not uncommon to use coconut milk (coconuts grow in those regions of Arabia) with rice. I know that this is a key ingredient of Southern Indian cuisine as well. I love it personally and Indian cuisine as well, especially Southern.

Also I think that Indians also have/had a leaf/milt stimulant/drug similar to khat.

Khat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just don't recall it's name here and now.

I also know that Arabians exported gold to India as well from the Mahd adh Dhahab goldmine which was the biggest gold mine in the Middle East for 5000 years and still is one of the biggest if not the biggest.

The gold mine is located in Hijaz, KSA.

You can read more about this.

Mahd adh Dhahab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Silver too obviously as you mentioned.

Diamonds came from India indeed although diamonds exist in Arabia too but in much, much smaller quantities obviously.

Gem of a find: KSA may have diamond mines | Front Page | Saudi Gazette

Also we should not forget frankincense with for a very, very long time was more sought after than gold and it was very, very important for the trade in Arabia.

The Incense trade route or the Incense Road of Antiquity (see also the spice trade) comprised a network of major ancient land and sea trading routes linking the Mediterranean world with Eastern and Southern sources of incense, spices and other luxury goods, stretching from Mediterranean ports across the Levant and Egypt through Northeastern Africa and Arabia to India and beyond. The incense land trade from South Arabia to the Mediterranean flourished between roughly the 7th century BCE to the 2nd century CE.[1] The Incense Route served as a channel for trading of goods such as Arabian frankincense and myrrh;[1]Indian spices, precious stones, pearls, ebony, silk and fine textiles;[2] and the Horn of African rare woods, feathers, animal skins and gold.[2]

Incense Route - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This key trade (much more widespread and important than the Silk Route actually) flourished for almost 1000 years.

Also we should not forget the Indian Ocean trade.

Indian Ocean trade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also don't forget pearls from the Gulf. In UAE which before the oil and gas discovery was the least inhabited area of Eastern Arabia and the poorest and for them pearl sales to neighbors was very important and fishing.

In the historical region of Eastern Arabia pearls were an important commodity.

Eastern Arabia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saudi Aramco World :
Servants of the Pearl

Oldest natural pearl found in Arabia - CNRS Web site - CNRS

Pearls from Farasan Islands in KSA in the Red Sea.

Pearls are an important symbol in Eastern Arabia.

Qatar pearl monument in Doha.

Last edited:
@Sam.

So you are from the beautiful region of Kerala? What a coincidence! I could almost feel it as it seems to me based on personal experience that Arabians and Arabs in general are really quick to bond/cooperate with the people of Kerala. Most of my Indian friends are from Kerala, Gujarat and Western/Southern India in general.

I also believe that there must have been some Hindu communities in Arabia before the appearance of the Abrahamic (Semitic) religions such as Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Early Hindu sects might even have coexisted in some parts of Arabia (mainly Southern) along with ancient pagan Semitic religions as surely throughout those 6000 years of mutual trade not only goods but people moved too and cultural practices. I don't know much about this topic but some historians might have written about this. I vaguely remember once reading about something similar.

Another thing that I have noticed. In Southern Arabia and areas of Hijaz it was/is not uncommon to use coconut milk (coconuts grow in those regions of Arabia) with rice. I know that this is a key ingredient of Southern Indian cuisine as well. I love it personally and Indian cuisine as well, especially Southern.

Also I think that Indians also have/had a leaf/milt stimulant/drug similar to khat.

Khat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just don't recall it's name here and now.

I also know that Arabians exported gold to India as well from the Mahd adh Dhahab goldmine which was the biggest gold mine in the Middle East for 5000 years and still is one of the biggest if not the biggest.

The gold mine is located in Hijaz, KSA.

You can read more about this.

Mahd adh Dhahab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Silver too obviously as you mentioned.

Diamonds came from India indeed although diamonds exist in Arabia too but in much, much smaller quantities obviously.

Gem of a find: KSA may have diamond mines | Front Page | Saudi Gazette

Also we should not forget frankincense with for a very, very long time was more sought after than gold and it was very, very important for the trade in Arabia.

The Incense trade route or the Incense Road of Antiquity (see also the spice trade) comprised a network of major ancient land and sea trading routes linking the Mediterranean world with Eastern and Southern sources of incense, spices and other luxury goods, stretching from Mediterranean ports across the Levant and Egypt through Northeastern Africa and Arabia to India and beyond. The incense land trade from South Arabia to the Mediterranean flourished between roughly the 7th century BCE to the 2nd century CE.[1] The Incense Route served as a channel for trading of goods such as Arabian frankincense and myrrh;[1]Indian spices, precious stones, pearls, ebony, silk and fine textiles;[2] and the Horn of African rare woods, feathers, animal skins and gold.[2]

Incense Route - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This key trade (much more widespread and important than the Silk Route actually) flourished for almost 1000 years.

Also we should not forget the Indian Ocean trade.

Indian Ocean trade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also don't forget pearls from the Gulf. In UAE which before the oil and gas discovery was the least inhabited area of Eastern Arabia and the poorest and for them pearl sales to neighbors was very important and fishing.

In the historical region of Eastern Arabia pearls were an important commodity.

Eastern Arabia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saudi Aramco World :
Servants of the Pearl

Oldest natural pearl found in Arabia - CNRS Web site - CNRS

Pearls from Farasan Islands in KSA in the Red Sea.

Pearls are an important symbol in Eastern Arabia.

Qatar pearl monument in Doha.

I am not from Kerala but quite the opposite basically our ancestor start migrating from southern Punjab(which is haryana state now) to western UP which now ended up in uttrakhand.

screenshot_210.png

Arrow will show you my location :D

Also you should also read about Indian ocean monsoon trade

Trade+Route.jpg

Indian Ocean Trade Routes
IndianOceanTrade.jpg

The web of trade across the Indian Ocean, driven by the monsoon winds. Click for larger image. Photo Credit: Kallie Szczepanski
The Indian Ocean trade routes connected Southeast Asia, India, Arabia, and East Africa. From at least the third century BCE, long distance sea trade moved across a web of routes linking all of those areas as well as East Asia (particularly China). Long before Europeans "discovered" the Indian Ocean, traders from Arabia, Gujarat, and other coastal areas used triangle-sailed dhows to harness the seasonal monsoon winds.

Domestication of the camel helped bring coastal trade goods - silk, porcelain, spices, slaves, incense, and ivory - to inland empires, as well.

In the classical era, major empires involved in the Indian Ocean trade included theMauryan Empire in India, the Han Dynasty in China, the Achaemenid Empire in Persia, and the Roman Empire in the Mediterranean. Silk from China graced Roman aristocrats, Roman coins mingled in Indian treasuries, and Persian jewels show up in Mauryan settings.

Another major export item along the classical Indian Ocean trade routes was religious thought. Buddhism, Hinduism, and Jainism spread from India to Southeast Asia, brought by merchants rather than by missionaries. Islam would later spread the same way from the 700s CE on.

During the medieval era, 400 - 1450 CE, trade flourished in the Indian Ocean basin. The rise of the Umayyad (661 - 750 CE) and Abbasid (750 - 1258) Caliphates on the Arabian Peninsula provided a powerful western node for the trade routes.

In addition, Islam valued merchants (the Prophet Muhammad himself was a trader and caravan leader), and wealthy Muslim cities created an enormous demand for luxury goods.

Meanwhile, the Tang (618 - 907) and Song (960 - 1279) Dynasties in China also emphasized trade and industry, developing strong trade ties along the land-based Silk Roads, and encouraging maritime trade. The Song rulers even created a powerful imperial navy to control piracy on the eastern end of the route.

Between the Arabs and the Chinese, several major empires blossomed based largely on maritime trade. The Chola Empire in southern India dazzled travelers with its wealth and luxury; Chinese visitors record parades of elephants covered with gold cloth and jewels marching through the city streets. In what is now Indonesia, the Srivijaya Empire boomed based almost entirely on taxing trading vessels that moved through the narrow Malacca Straits. Even Angkor, based far inland in the Khmer heartland of Cambodia, used the Mekong River as a highway that tied it in to the Indian Ocean trade network.

For centuries, China had mostly allowed foreign traders to come to it. After all, everyone wanted Chinese goods, and foreigners were more than willing to take the time and trouble of visiting coastal China to procure fine silks, porcelain, and other items. In 1405, however, the Yongle Emperor of China's new Ming Dynasty sent out the first of seven expeditions to visit all of the empire's major trading partners around the Indian Ocean. The Ming treasure ships under Admiral Zheng He traveled all the way to East Africa, bring back emissaries and trade goods from across the region.

In 1498, strange new mariners made their first appearance in the Indian Ocean. Portuguese sailors under Vasco da Gama rounded the southern point of Africa and ventured into new seas. The Portuguese were eager to join in the Indian Ocean trade, since European demand for Asian luxury goods was extremely high. However, Europe had nothing to trade. The peoples around the Indian Ocean basin had no need of wool or fur clothing, iron cooking pots, or the other meager products of Europe.

As a result, the Portuguese entered the Indian Ocean trade as pirates rather than traders. Using a combination of bravado and cannons, they seized port cities like Calicut on India's west coast and Macau, in southern China. The Portuguese began to rob and extort local producers and foreign merchant ships alike. Scarred by the Moorish conquest of Portugal and Spain, they viewed Muslims in particular as the enemy, and took every opportunity to plunder their ships.

In 1602, an even more ruthless European power appeared in the Indian Ocean: the Dutch East India Company (VOC). Rather than insinuating themselves in to the existing trade pattern, as the Portuguese had done, the Dutch sought a total monopoly on lucrative spices like nutmeg and mace. In 1680, the British joined in with their British East India Company, which challenged the VOC for control of the trade routes. As the European powers established political control over important parts of Asia, turning Indonesia, India, Malaya, and much of Southeast Asia into colonies, reciprocal trade dissolved. Goods moved increasingly to Europe, while the former Asian trading empires grew poorer and collapsed. The two thousand year-old Indian Ocean trade network was crippled, if not completely destroyed.

I am not from Kerala but quite the opposite basically our ancestor start migrating from southern Punjab(which is haryana state now) to western UP which now ended up in uttrakhand.

screenshot_210.png

Arrow will show you my location :D

Also you should also read about Indian ocean monsoon trade

Trade+Route.jpg

Indian Ocean Trade Routes
IndianOceanTrade.jpg

The web of trade across the Indian Ocean, driven by the monsoon winds. Click for larger image. Photo Credit: Kallie Szczepanski
The Indian Ocean trade routes connected Southeast Asia, India, Arabia, and East Africa. From at least the third century BCE, long distance sea trade moved across a web of routes linking all of those areas as well as East Asia (particularly China). Long before Europeans "discovered" the Indian Ocean, traders from Arabia, Gujarat, and other coastal areas used triangle-sailed dhows to harness the seasonal monsoon winds.

Domestication of the camel helped bring coastal trade goods - silk, porcelain, spices, slaves, incense, and ivory - to inland empires, as well.

In the classical era, major empires involved in the Indian Ocean trade included theMauryan Empire in India, the Han Dynasty in China, the Achaemenid Empire in Persia, and the Roman Empire in the Mediterranean. Silk from China graced Roman aristocrats, Roman coins mingled in Indian treasuries, and Persian jewels show up in Mauryan settings.

Another major export item along the classical Indian Ocean trade routes was religious thought. Buddhism, Hinduism, and Jainism spread from India to Southeast Asia, brought by merchants rather than by missionaries. Islam would later spread the same way from the 700s CE on.

During the medieval era, 400 - 1450 CE, trade flourished in the Indian Ocean basin. The rise of the Umayyad (661 - 750 CE) and Abbasid (750 - 1258) Caliphates on the Arabian Peninsula provided a powerful western node for the trade routes.

In addition, Islam valued merchants (the Prophet Muhammad himself was a trader and caravan leader), and wealthy Muslim cities created an enormous demand for luxury goods.

Meanwhile, the Tang (618 - 907) and Song (960 - 1279) Dynasties in China also emphasized trade and industry, developing strong trade ties along the land-based Silk Roads, and encouraging maritime trade. The Song rulers even created a powerful imperial navy to control piracy on the eastern end of the route.

Between the Arabs and the Chinese, several major empires blossomed based largely on maritime trade. The Chola Empire in southern India dazzled travelers with its wealth and luxury; Chinese visitors record parades of elephants covered with gold cloth and jewels marching through the city streets. In what is now Indonesia, the Srivijaya Empire boomed based almost entirely on taxing trading vessels that moved through the narrow Malacca Straits. Even Angkor, based far inland in the Khmer heartland of Cambodia, used the Mekong River as a highway that tied it in to the Indian Ocean trade network.

For centuries, China had mostly allowed foreign traders to come to it. After all, everyone wanted Chinese goods, and foreigners were more than willing to take the time and trouble of visiting coastal China to procure fine silks, porcelain, and other items. In 1405, however, the Yongle Emperor of China's new Ming Dynasty sent out the first of seven expeditions to visit all of the empire's major trading partners around the Indian Ocean. The Ming treasure ships under Admiral Zheng He traveled all the way to East Africa, bring back emissaries and trade goods from across the region.

In 1498, strange new mariners made their first appearance in the Indian Ocean. Portuguese sailors under Vasco da Gama rounded the southern point of Africa and ventured into new seas. The Portuguese were eager to join in the Indian Ocean trade, since European demand for Asian luxury goods was extremely high. However, Europe had nothing to trade. The peoples around the Indian Ocean basin had no need of wool or fur clothing, iron cooking pots, or the other meager products of Europe.

As a result, the Portuguese entered the Indian Ocean trade as pirates rather than traders. Using a combination of bravado and cannons, they seized port cities like Calicut on India's west coast and Macau, in southern China. The Portuguese began to rob and extort local producers and foreign merchant ships alike. Scarred by the Moorish conquest of Portugal and Spain, they viewed Muslims in particular as the enemy, and took every opportunity to plunder their ships.

In 1602, an even more ruthless European power appeared in the Indian Ocean: the Dutch East India Company (VOC). Rather than insinuating themselves in to the existing trade pattern, as the Portuguese had done, the Dutch sought a total monopoly on lucrative spices like nutmeg and mace. In 1680, the British joined in with their British East India Company, which challenged the VOC for control of the trade routes. As the European powers established political control over important parts of Asia, turning Indonesia, India, Malaya, and much of Southeast Asia into colonies, reciprocal trade dissolved. Goods moved increasingly to Europe, while the former Asian trading empires grew poorer and collapsed. The two thousand year-old Indian Ocean trade network was crippled, if not completely destroyed.

I must have misunderstood one of your posts when you described Kerala.

Well, that part of India had equally as long ties or at least very long ties as well with the Arabian Peninsula and certain parts of the remaining Arab world.

Thank you for the additional information buddy. This thread is a treasure for knowledge, at least the last few posts.

We should cover cuisine next.:lol: Lot's of similarities as well.

I must have misunderstood one of your posts when you described Kerala.

Well, that part of India had equally as long ties or at least very long ties as well with the Arabian Peninsula and certain parts of the remaining Arab world.

Thank you for the additional information buddy. This thread is a treasure for knowledge, at least the last few posts.

We should cover cuisine next.:lol: Lot's of similarities as well.

why not and also crazy dance moves :D

I would say we have tons of thing in common and we don't even know.(I blame media)

crazy comments on the video ,i found one notable enough than trolls :D

screenshot_211.png

why not and also crazy dance moves :D

I would say we have tons of thing in common and we don't even know.(I blame media)

crazy comments on the video ,i found one notable enough than trolls :D

screenshot_211.png

Buddy, when it comes to Arabs Got Talent I am not the right person to ask here.:lol: I have maybe watched 5 episodes. I do suspect that there were quite a few singers on that show that also sang in Hindi or other languages of South Asia. I think that the show (Arabs Got Talent) have had performers performing in most languages almost.

It is true indeed that some Arabs and South Asians (mostly Northern Indians, Pakistanis, people from Western India etc.) can look quite similar. No doubt about this but it would be strange otherwise as we after all are not located that far from each other in the wider picture. For sure we look much more alike than Sub-Saharan Africans or for instance East Asians.:)

That is Hala al-Turk a famous Bahraini girl singer, lol.

Hala Al Turk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is some Arab + Indian music mixture.

23 million views on Youtube.

I have heard some Arab-Hindu mixtures and most sound very cool actually. Hindi and Urdu has many, many words that originate from Arabic too.

I have heard some Arab-Hindu mixtures and most sound very cool actually. Hindi and Urdu has many, many words that originate from Arabic too.

Mostly Urdu as both language came from local language "Khadi boili" . In Urdu they put arabic or persian word and in hindi they put some Sanskrit word.

Unlike popular belief,India has good relations with all Muslim countries(with 1 exception)

Also as you mentioned about pre-Islamic era of Arabia i would like to share some ties.

screenshot_212.png

screenshot_213.png

Why the surprise? What possible political & strategic partnership is possible?
By strategic I meant "strategic energy partnership". India depends on GCC for 65% of its energy needs; according to UN India will be the most populous country in the world. India would experience worsening energy shortages if the the middle class grows further.Infact, the whole public energy industry will require restructuring in a way which makes it more competitive while maintaining pricing that is politically sustainable. Iran is definitely not the only solution to India's growing energy needs. :)

Back
Top Bottom