What's new

India protests over 'tribal' Virgin Mary and baby Jesus

Well if Kerala Christians can accept Virgin Mary in slightly dark shade dressed in a Mundum Neriyathium, who am I to complain?...I just wanted to point out that Kerala Christians, who is supposedly the most literate and prosperous X'ian community in India and their community leaders doesn't felt the need to make Virgin Mary or Jesus Indian... why is that some bishop in Jharkand felt the need to so?

:) big difference between a literate area and tribal one.

Symbolism is one of the strongest tools to teach

I honestly don't see what the problem is. To me it seems like an attempt at national integration of the catholic faith.

Ahh.. the arrogance of a Muslim Pakistani...or should I say a Pakistani Muslim we have seen that.... "We are better than Hindus, even at knowing their religion"

Well there I broadly agree. Most Hindus dont know the first thing about their religion....and they are mighty proud of this fact too..:hitwall:

Could you please point out the parts where I am wrong? Else, you are jsut running away from a debate :)

edit - am stepping out for couple of hrs. so will reply back if you reply by evening.

Cheers!

i think you are addressing kena not my post.

I honestly don't see what the problem is. To me it seems like an attempt at national integration of the catholic faith.

For many Catholics, mother Mary is a source of inspiration. The catholic tradition encourages the followers to give Mary a persona in their own respective cultures. Its simply a way to help them relate with the faith better.

Well if Kerala Christians can accept Virgin Mary in slightly dark shade dressed in a Mundum Neriyathium, who am I to complain?...I just wanted to point out that Kerala Christians, who is supposedly the most literate and prosperous X'ian community in India and their community leaders doesn't felt the need to make Virgin Mary or Jesus Indian... why is that some bishop in Jharkand felt the need to so?

don't know the exact reasons but it is not necessarily bad. if something like that comes up in kerala, then the church will oppose it and there will be mixed responses from believers.

Ahh.. the arrogance of a Muslim Pakistani...or should I say a Pakistani Muslim we have seen that.... "We are better than Hindus, even at knowing their religion"

Everybody think he is better than the other its universal phenomenon. But i stand by my statement :) come debate about your own religion and i can beat you .

Here is something that you need to read: List of converts to Hinduism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

We are doing our share of damage to their religion. it a knife that cuts both ways.

So acept that Hindus are damaging Christianity then why cry foul if Missionaries converting Hindus through incentives?

The only difference is that they (Christians) dont mind what you are doing whereas you are willing to damage them but refuse to be damaged in return

oh bhaya the question again is the same howcome Hindus are ready so easily to convert for incentives???

Dont you see your own community is at fault for their conversion to Christianity?.

So better sit back think over and finish this cast based discrimination and social injustice. Try to solve basic needs of these downtrodden so they should not go for Christianity.

if these hindus find chances of education and feeding their families by converting to Christanity then they will freely go for that instead of deprivation

I believe that you are posing a genuine question which most Indians/Hindus on this forum are missing. In essence your question is why don't Hindu groups start similar missionary work as that of the Christian groups if they have a problem with conversions ? The answer in my opinion is that most Vedic groups do perform large scale charitable and other social work within the Hindu community. Funding doesn't come from a central organization like the Roman Catholic church or the Saudi oil belt. Funding is obtained from the Hindu community internationally and the work is accordingly limited to the amount of funding obtained. There is also the belief of karma in Hinduism. One of the beliefs of karma is that people are also born to suffer to ensure liberation of the soul after death. Hope that helps

For many Catholics, mother Mary is a source of inspiration. The catholic tradition encourages the followers to give Mary a persona in their own respective cultures. Its simply a way to help them relate with the faith better.

The NON christian Indians see it an attempt to convert them to Christianity by luring them through such image/statu

Everybody think he is better than the other its universal phenomenon. But i stand by my statement :) come debate about your own religion and i can beat you .

Any time....

So acept that Hindus are damaging Christianity then why cry foul if Missionaries converting Hindus through incentives?

The only difference is that they (Christians) dont mind what you are doing whereas you are willing to damage them but refuse to be damaged in return

IT's a fair exchange..give and take...

Jana Ji, you can't debate about something you have no idea about. If you as a journalist and an Islamist challenges a scientist to a debate on evolution, the scientist will be amazed at your ignorance and will probably reach the conclusion that it will serve the better interest of science to let you bask in your ignorance. You on the other hand will reach the conclusion that the scientist is an unbeliever destined to reach the gates of hell the moment he is laid in his grave. The same conclusions will be reached should you engage in a debate about Hinduism versus Islam. Perhaps you should accept that unto each his own and God for us all ?

I believe that you are posing a genuine question which most Indians/Hindus on this forum are missing. In essence your question is why don't Hindu groups start similar missionary work as that of the Christian groups if they have a problem with conversions ? The answer in my opinion is that most Vedic groups do perform large scale charitable and other social work within the Hindu community. Funding doesn't come from a central organization like the Roman Catholic church or the Saudi oil belt. Funding is obtained from the Hindu community internationally and the work is accordingly limited to the amount of funding obtained. There is also the belief of karma in Hinduism. One of the beliefs of karma is that people are also born to suffer to ensure liberation of the soul after death. Hope that helps

My point is that missionary groups are like vedic groups the only difference here i feel is that former are supported by their political groups whereas in case of vedic one, the political religious groups of India are only spreading forceful hate instead of helping vedic group to help the deprived Hindus so they should not look towards missionaries.

What is the problem of these Hindu Political groups??? i personally feel they are still stuck in status/cast based classification on one hand and on the other hand they believe their dadgiri must be accepted by these deprived Hindus and they should continue to face their orders and rules viz a viz living, faith, profession, status.

I feel both cant go hand in hand. Either Vedic groups and Cos would have to abolish the mindeset that sees Hindus through lower and higher class prism or they would have to give up to missionaries.

As far as the karma is concerned if people themself wants to come out of this karma based deprivation one cant stop them

Jana Ji, you can't debate about something you have no idea about. If you as a journalist and an Islamist challenges a scientist to a debate on evolution, the scientist will be amazed at your ignorance and will probably reach the conclusion that it will serve the better interest of science to let you bask in your ignorance. You on the other hand will reach the conclusion that the scientist is an unbeliever destined to reach the gates of hell the moment he is laid in his grave. The same conclusions will be reached should you engage in a debate about Hinduism versus Islam. Perhaps you should accept that unto each his own and God for us all ?

:) try it.

now move on .

The NON christian Indians see it an attempt to convert them to Christianity by luring them through such image/statu

I think that's just RSS inspired propaganda. I don't understand why conversion has to be seen as such a big deal. The Indian identity isn't lost through conversion. I was born into a Muslim family, and eventually decided that it wasn't for me. So i left. Ofcourse, i no longer exist for my family....but i still don't see what the big deal is all about. I still identify myself as an Indian.

My point is that missionary groups are like vedic groups the only difference here i feel is that former are supported by their political groups whereas in case of vedic one, the political religious groups of India are only spreading forceful hate instead of helping vedic group to help the deprived Hindus so they should not look towards missionaries.

What is the problem of these Hindu Political groups??? i personally feel they are still stuck in status/cast based classification on one hand and on the other hand they believe their dadgiri must be accepted by these deprived Hindus and they should continue to face their orders and rules viz a viz living, faith, profession, status.

I feel both cant go hand in hand. Either Vedic groups and Cos would have to abolish the mindeset that sees Hindus through lower and higher class prism or they would have to give up to missionaries.

As far as the karma is concerned if people themself wants to come out of this karma based deprivation one cant stop them

:) try it.

now move on .

Hindu political groups are no different from Christian or Islamic political groups. They are not out to help anybody but themselves. So, please don't judge them too harshly since they are no better rats than any other religiously affiliated political groups.

Try what? Telling you to bask in your ignorance? I did so in my earlier post :D Point taken. Moving on ;)

These Maoist elements must be Nibed in Buds ... Christianity = Faith for Sale ...

In Miami Beach ull have a Statue of Surfing Mary :omghaha: ... if the population were non-Christians ...

Back
Top Bottom