What's new

India overtakes Japan to become third- largest economy in ppp terms.

According to the data from the IMF and the World Bank on this link:

List of countries by GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

India was at 9th place in 2010.

But in 2011 they dropped down two places (down to 11th place), surpassed by both Russia and Canada.

(First column in the link is IMF data for 2011, second column is the World Bank data for 2010).
Wow they went down two places. They are only 1/5 the size of China's GDP now. Another colossal failure after boasting just like http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian-defence/174018-indian-agni-v-veered-off-course.html Frankly, I'd bet india's 2011 GDP will get adjusted downward again -- the truth is only beginning to leak out about their economic disaster.

PPP and nominal are both useful ways of measurement. Both tell us some things and fail to tell us some things.

I''d explain it but if one wants to REALY find out, heck we are on the internet. Basically - trolls will troll, cooks will cook and eats will eat...

Wow they went down two places. They are only 1/5 the size of China's GDP now. Another colossal failure after boasting just like http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian-defence/174018-indian-agni-v-veered-off-course.html Frankly, I'd bet india's 2011 GDP will get adjusted downward again -- the truth is only beginning to leak out about their economic disaster.
That's why nominal GDP isn't such a great barometer, why cause the exchange rate of rupee went from ~45 to ~55 in just a single quarter that means a variation of ~20% in absolute terms for the IND economy ! PPP is a better alternative cause of this very fact btw true GDP growth is measured in local currency which is the most accurate figure one can have, you guys aren't very bright outside of copying others' stuff are you now ?

That's why nominal GDP isn't such a great barometer, why cause the exchange rate of rupee went from ~45 to ~55 in just a single quarter that means a variation of ~20% in absolute terms for the IND economy ! PPP is a better alternative cause of this very fact btw true GDP growth is measured in local currency which is the most accurate figure one can have, you guys aren't very bright outside of copying others' stuff are you now ?

what cause the depreciation of your Rupees? it might certainly be some risks born in your economy, which makes sense every average citizen of your country bearing the same risk, possibly resulting in the deterioration of his life in the future, that's the purchasing power in the years ahead.

I think nominal can be justified in the long run, and PPP is a surfacing artificial measurement.

what cause the depreciation of your Rupees? it might certainly be some risks born in your economy, which makes sense every average citizen of your country bearing the same risk, possibly resulting in the deterioration of his life in the future, that's the purchasing power in the years ahead.

I think nominal can be justified in the long run, and PPP is a surfacing artificial measurement.
BoP i.e. merchandise & services trade, investments(FDI/FII) & remittances is what the exchange rate is based upon, hence the reason CN is called a currency manipulator with over 3$ trillion worth of reserves, it has not much to do with "risks borne by an economy" so don't understand why you keep harping on the same misnomer over & over again ?

You know our Foreign Exchange Reserves are $3.2 trillion right? That's more than double the entire Indian GDP. :P

So it's not a good idea to bash us on that issue. :lol:

Are u sure Its all in $ or is it in the US treasury Bond bills amounting to 3.2 trillion$ ...Cheez i wonder will america ever pay back when u guys decide to cash in the bills.....:blink:

BoP i.e. merchandise & services trade, investments(FDI/FII) & remittances is what the exchange rate is based upon, hence the reason CN is called a currency manipulator with over 3$ trillion worth of reserves, it has not much to do with "risks borne by an economy" so don't understand why you keep harping on the same misnomer over & over again ?

I am not harping if not as so as you did, I post only in serious ways.

misnomer, maybe, but everyone is doing that, take your words as example, too many obvious ones.

exchange rate could be affected by your raised factors, but it still basically depends on the fundamentals of your economy. at inflation rate of double digit, 45 to 55 is not a huge downfall, of your currency.

I am not harping if not as so as you did, I post only in serious ways.

misnomer, maybe, but everyone is doing that, take your words as example, too many obvious ones.

exchange rate could be affected by your raised factors, but it still basically depends on the fundamentals of your economy. at inflation rate of double digit, 45 to 55 is not a huge downfall, of your currency.
The harping part wan't directed towards you but on the general PPP vs GDP(nominal) debate where one chooses a particular side. The exchange rate can be hugely influenced by FII(like in our case) that's why GDP(nominal) in local currency is a better metric. The reason CN does't let the yuan appreciate is cause exports are its bloodline, now common knowledge says that with BoP in your favor it'll appreciate the local currency thereby making imports cheaper & vice versa but that doesn't happen with them hence the huge $$ stockpiles ! Now if you let the yuan appreciate it'll definitely increase the absolute GDP of CN in $ terms but that'll totally screw their domestic export driven industries & local businesses creating a downward spiral for them, the situation is eerily similar to Japan of the 90's & one can't rule out a Japanese style bust for them the trigger though will have to be the real estate sector.

No im being serious. Way thing are heading it will be India, China, south Korea (believe me or not) then USA

Pakistan went from 165,760 > 210,566 in 1 year. Stayed at 47.

While India went from 1,727,111 > 1,676,143 in 1 year. Dropped from 11 to 9th.

Pakistan went from 165,760 > 210,566 in 1 year. Stayed at 47.

While India went from 1,727,111 > 1,676,143 in 1 year. Dropped from 11 to 9th.

how it is possible when u have a growth rate of 2.4 % only ?

Back
Top Bottom