What's new

India not willing to play by the rules: US lawmakers

India not willing to play by the rules: US lawmakers

Jun 29, 2013, 05.10 AM IST

WASHINGTON: Top American lawmakers on Friday criticised India's trade and business policies, saying that New Delhi is not willing to play by the rules.

"When you look at India's industrial policy, trade barriers, the rampant piracy, the tax discrimination and what appears to be an absolute disregard for our intellectual property rights, you realize that India is a country that is not willing to play by the rules right now," Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn said at a Congressional hearing.

"What's worse is that they're trying to gloss over this. And here's an example. Last week, the Indian ambassador sent a letter to my office defending their abusive practices that are killing jobs of millions of hardworking Americans," Blackburn said in reference to the letter sent by ambassador Nirupma Rao.

"India's principles set a disappointing example to the rest of the world. No country that calls itself a friend of the US would celebrate isolationism the way that India is doing," Blackburn said.

"We have overwhelming bipartisan agreement in Congress that India's government must reverse course or risk seriously threatening our bilateral relationship," said the Congresswoman from Tennessee during the Congressional hearing on "A Tangle of Trade Barriers: How India's Industrial Policy is Hurting US Companies".

The hearing was convened by the commerce, manufacturing, and trade subcommittee of the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

The letter written by the Indian ambassador to Congressmen was also made part of the record of the Congressional hearing as part of India's position on the issues.

Expressing deep concern over the Indian policies related to the intellectual property rights, Congressman Leonard Lance from New Jersey said the United States must exhibit leadership in the area of protecting IP rights.

"Emerging companies that adopt the Indian model of intellectual property policymaking also pose a risk to United States companies. We must make it clear to all trading partners that these policies set a bad precedent and undermine our mutually beneficial trade agreements," he said.

Congressman Peter Olson from Texas expressed his anger over the recent Indian policies, which he said is badly hurting American companies and called for taking actions against New Delhi.

"Like all of you all, my blood boils when I hear that India is revoking and denying patents and granting compulsory licenses for cancer treatments or adopting local content requirements," he said.

"As a nation, we should handle India like my dad did when I was growing up and I made his blood boil: He put his arm around me and or pulled me where he would go, to make sure his fingers were resting firmly on my shoulder just to inflict some pain if I diverted from the course we would go down. That's what we should do with their government," Olson said

India not willing to play by the rules: US lawmakers - The Times of India

so when has amreeka played by rules from the last century ?? in fact no powerful country has. as for as the idea of arm twisting, india is not pakistan .

If India is not willing to play by the rules how come they rejected Edward Snowden's Asylum request?

India begged for USA help. Then India backstabbed USA. It's time for USA to impose no fly zone and regime change.
Why wait for US. Why don't. You do it. You have nuclear weapons, great airforce, helpful allies like Pakistan and Bangladesh ( or atleast the PDF Bangladeshis). Please impose a no fly zone

If India is not willing to play by the rules how come they rejected Edward Snowden's Asylum request?

So did china and russia, at the end of the day snowden is a traitor to his country - we have a few traitors too, what happens if the US takes it upon itself to give them asylum?

The issue of evergreening patents is handled legally, as the Indian Supreme Court did recently. I agree that public health concerns can provide just cause for a country to suspend patent protections, as Brazil did with AIDS drugs. However, I see less justification for matters not involving life-or-death situations.

Yes like the Indian firm Sun Pharma copying the heartburn drug Protonix. It didn't end well for Sun Pharma.

Sun Pharma Declines After $550 Million Pfizer Settlement - Bloomberg

I see Indians as usual are too preoccupied with frantic flag waving to bother with researching the problem and taking an informed position on the subject.

What about Americans of Indian Origin who are critical of the US foreign policy? What about those Americans who have protested against the wars and US foreign policy in Vietnam and Iraq?
Are you seriously promoting that these people arent allowed to excercise their right to the First Amendment?

I'd like to hear your perspective...because your line of argument is bizarre and quite disturbing in my opinion...

As an American, feel free to protest. But if its a foreigner living in America, its distasteful to protest against America. First, get your citizenship. If anyone refused to get the citizenship, then the person is a foreigner and should be treat by Americans as foreigners. And as a foreigner, please refrain from protest against the US government until receive the citizenship. America allow anyone to protest, but as an advise to foreigners, its just distasteful to protest against our government when you have no desire to be an American. Its like an American go to a foreign country and protest against that foreign government. Now, that would be disrespectful as a guest.

funny among the biggest anti american and Chinese stool here is telling others how to behave in america. not surprising though because your level of intellect could not differentiate between intellectual property being copied vs. not granting intellectual ( continued) rights after the term is completed on exclusivity. One thing to troll but is another to troll clueless.

The ones that steal are Chinese and are infamous for it , the ones that waited on a court to decide and then proceeded to produce generic forms of medicine were Indians. They don't follow the Chinese formula of see I have a map 3000 yrs old and since our map showed us as owning it, we really own today too.

I guess your anti-American views are well known in this forum. Your views are always pro India, not pro America. I'm originally from Taiwan but have been a loyal American for a long time as I arrive here when I was in grade school. Now, I regard America as my homeland. Since your loyalty is to India, you should give up your American citizenship and stay here as a guest.

So did china and russia, at the end of the day snowden is a traitor to his country - we have a few traitors too, what happens if the US takes it upon itself to give them asylum?

Russia and China have protected Snowden thus far. Refusing to extradite him. India is too cowardly to do anything against the white man. Indians have no honour, pride or dignity. That's why countries don't respect India.

Russia and China have protected Snowden thus far. Refusing to extradite him. India is too cowardly to do anything against the white man. Indians have no honour, pride or dignity. That's why countries don't respect India.

you gave up on snowden before we did, you protected snowden? LOL scared rat, your antics only work with small countries and when push comes to shoove thee chinese are the biiggest pussiees iin asiia.

you gave up on snowden before we did, you protected snowden? LOL scared rat, your antics only work with small countries and when push comes to shoove thee chinese are the biiggest pussiees iin asiia.

Hong Kong has an extradition treaty with the US, yet we refused to extradite him and allowed him to freely travel.

India is scared to even consider a request. Shameful really. India just don't have an independent foreign policy, just look at how India bowed to American pressure regarding buying oil from Iran. India is treated like client state by the US and India likes it. Any country that don't have an independent foreign policy is not taken seriously in geopolitics.

Hong Kong has an extradition treaty with the US, yet we refused to extradite him and allowed him to freely travel.

India is scared to even consider a request. Shameful really. India just don't have an independent foreign policy, just look at how India bowed to American pressure regarding buying oil from Iran. India is treated like client state by the US and India likes it. Any country that don't have an independent foreign policy is not taken seriously in geopolitics.

LOL, You are a joke. read the news, china has refused asylum to him, now u are talking of Iran yelllow turd? hasnt china reduced its imports officially from Iran too?

You should have seen how Obama treats Xi, its practicallly as if he is admonishing him and Xi for all the big claims and megaf@rts that CCP comes up with against tiny neighbors - and he goes and bends over in america.

Don't insult me kid! Watch your mouth when you talk to me.I am educated enough to differentiate between wrong and right.Plus I never said india is pro-america, I said some indians are pro-american.There is a difference between the two. You have the audacity to dictate me about education while you yourself can't read LOL.

Auntyji if I am not wrong these were your exact words..."Why do i get the feeling that india will also become anti-american in the future??" I am now sure that you have something seriously wrong as you have no clue of what you write and what you want to mean.

If you still have doubts please go and check your posts.

China also did not provided asylum to Snowden . China is too cowardly to do anything against the white man. Chinese have no honour, pride or dignity. That's why countries don't respect China ...... :wave:

China also did not provided asylum to Snowden . China is too cowardly to do anything against the white man. Chinese have no honour, pride or dignity. That's why countries don't respect China ...... :wave:

Its time to stop all these mud sling base on a side topic.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom