What's new

India not to criminalise marital rape

I am supporting a woman's dignity in her married life, do you believe that allowing a Muslim man to marry 4 times infringe upon the right of Muslim woman?

You are fighting for woman's rights does this issue amounts a debate? do you believe this issue needs to be raised in the media to demand equal rights for muslim women?

Obviously the whole idea to have any kind of laws based on religion is nonsense and totally archaic.

That being said, it has nothing to do with this topic.
Why isnt the GOI trying to get rid of them?
You can open another thread on that topic, I will happily discuss it there.

Why don't you answer my post #130, if you are not a slave of MSM that I have always considered you to be?
All they have is a narrative no facts .... if they want to criminalize marital rape how about criminalizing Christian priests who sexually abuse kids. I can provide more cases where priests have been accused/convicted of such crimes then marital rapes world over.

It's all about the narrative that has been forced down our throat in the school syllabus. Jats were robbers who looted the peace loving Afghans of the gold they got from Somnath temple.

This poster @Koovie does not have a brain of his own.He has rented his brain to NDTV et al ,and he just regurgitates anything that NDTV presents in its shows.

I have pointed this out to him many times hoping in vain that he would grew a brain, and maybe someday take a reasoned , but unpopular stand on issues.

Except it is not punishment as no one is convicted of a crime. It's restitution for damages, (as if I hit your car or a tree I cut down, fell on your house.), and nothing else. Not the same as a crime or criminal law and my point was, in those cases that you site, virtually NONE of them, resulted in criminal convictions as those crimes are very, very, hard to successfully prosecute.

No, it is not just restitution. Bankrupting a person and destroying his/her reputation is punishment. You do not bankrupt a person or destroy their reputation for hitting your car or cutting a tree.

According to the Indian government's interpretation of this...yes, in some occasions. Disgusting!
No that is not Indian govt's interpretation. Unlike how you would like to think all people of color are barbarians and rape their wives, the govt of India's position is Indian men are not barbarians to rape their wives and hence there is no need for such a law. You make a law to suit your society, not to ape someone else.

Sodomy laws and definitions usually include oral as well as anal sex. India's does. » LGBT Section 377 And yes, in many cases involving incest, the rapes are as you put it, "gentle rapes" involving intimidation and threats to achieve submission and condoms are usually used, precluding any DNA evidence. That you are so ignorant of these facts should tell you something. It does me.

No sodomy laws do not include oral sex. Oral sex is different. That you think rapists are wearing condoms and sodomizing their daughters and there is no way to establish evidence of sodomy is what proves your naivety.

The woman does NOT consent to being held down, violently sexually assaulted and brutally raped by her husband. Only a barbaric society would think that.
Wild imagination. That is domestic violence and the man goes to jail for that in India and it becomes the ground for divorce. Unlike in USA where men are let off with 30 day prison for rape.
Prosecutors weigh appeal of 30-day rape sentence in Montana - CNN.com

...and yet you defend the Indian government's interpretation of law that says that no wife has the right to claim she was raped or sexually assaulted by her husband. If he ties her to a bed and brutally, sexually assaults her and rapes her...it is 100% perfectly legal. If that is the "culture", it is barbaric and should be changed.

She can claim whatever she want. If proved, she gets protection and the husband gets punished under domestic violence act including imprisonment of his whole family for years on end in some cases..

For looking for what is barbarism, you need look no further than US of A.

It's all about the narrative that has been forced down our throat in the school syllabus. Jats were robbers who looted the peace loving Afghans of the gold they got from Somnath temple.

I know. I do not think a dialogue is possible with certain section of the population. You ignore them or talk down to them. That is all one can do.

I could care less about what country justifies it. I could care less about what nationalities condemn it. I AM sensitive to a country's cultural uniqueness within reason. I have no problem with any country enacting laws that reflect their values as long as the truly innocent are not harmed. If Saudi Arabia wishes to cut the hand off a thief with a long record of unrepentant stealing, I would not want such punishment in my country, but I accept Saudi law in the matter. If Indians wish to outlaw beef eating, then I would defer to their traditions in doing so, but the idea that it is a defense of cultural values to allow a man to brutally rape his wife, is unacceptable. It's an affront to human dignity.

Custom or tradition or culture is not a defence for violation of human rights and personal liberties. Laws should be based on the principle of justice, not as a tool to perpetuate customs or traditions - especially ones like this. I would go a step or two more than you and say that people's dietary choices should also not be legislated or decided by the govt, it should be upto the person. (In regards to the beef eating that you mentioned.)

It's an affront to human dignity. I don't know about all the Indian people, but polls seem to disagree with the government's position, just as I do.

HT poll result: 62% voters dismiss govt's stand on marital rape
Be very wary of titles like that one. I wish that that were true, but I'm pretty sure that their poll does not reflect the view of the majority of Indians. I can't open that link for some reason, but from the title I assume that their poll was done online on HT's website. There is an extreme selection bias in such a sample, where only English educated, newspaper reading, internet accessing, HT reading Indians have participated. That should represent a very tiny percentage of the populace. Online surveys, or polling by English media, have to be taken with a pinch of salt. Actually, they need to be considered irrelevant in most cases.

Obviously the whole idea to have any kind of laws based on religion is nonsense and totally archaic.

That being said, it has nothing to do with this topic.
Why isnt the GOI trying to get rid of them?
You can open another thread on that topic, I will happily discuss it there.
I asked you when and where feminists raised their voice against the right of Muslim men to marry 4 times? Are muslim women any less then non muslim women? If you can't find any evidence than please say so.

Why don't you answer my post #130, if you are not a slave of MSM that I have always considered you to be?

"Terminally retarded" ?

Talking to a mirror, eh?

FYI I stopped reading at that point, because I dont give a **** about your kind anyways. And I have no freaking clue what MSM is anyways.

Try harder kid.

All they have is a narrative no facts .... if they want to criminalize marital rape how about criminalizing Christian priests who sexually abuse kids. I can provide more cases where priests have been accused/convicted of such crimes then marital rapes world over.

You too should stop adopting this line of attack against.This allows people to weasel out of even foolproof argument.

Marital rape's criminalization has glaring procedural flaws ,and no one need to provide any other excuse for not criminalizing it.

I asked you when and where feminists raised their voice against the right of Muslim men to marry 4 times? Are muslim women any less then non muslim women? If you can't find any evidence than please say so.

Why should I? It has nothing to do with this topic. And I told you the reason.
Ever wondered that those nonsensical laws do not apply for all Indians?
Now stick to the topic and if you desperately need to talk about that, I will happily do it in another thread.

You too should stop adopting this line of attack against.This allows people to weasel out of even foolproof argument.

Marital rape's criminalization has glaring procedural flaws ,and no one need to provide any other excuse for not criminalizing it.
Adarsh liberal don't need facts or full proof argument to weasel out of any discussion. They won't listen to the other narrative.

This poster @Koovie does not have a brain of his own.He has rented his brain to NDTV et al ,and he just regurgitates anything that NDTV presents in its shows.

I have pointed this out to him many times hoping in vain that he would grew a brain, and maybe someday take a reasoned , but unpopular stand on issues.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have not been watching NDTV for years now :lol:

Try harder loser... it only makes it funnier.

How pathetic.

"Terminally retarded" ?

Talking to a mirror, eh?

FYI I stopped reading at that point, because I dont give a **** about your kind anyways. And I have no freaking clue what MSM is anyways.

Try harder kid.

Good for you.

Weasel out of any argument which require more than IQ of 60 that you have. You are no better than a retarded slave who could only regurgitate what someone else feeds him; completely incapable of independent thought.

I have always considered you a retard which cannot possess independent thought.Doesn't change anything for me. I only asked you to answer that post because whole of your pinko army has been unable to refute that post.Probably you may have tried , but alas! This when, probably I am only person in this thread who is arguing on basis of procedural difficulties in prosecuting marital rapes vs legions of pinkos regurgitating propaganda which media has fed them, or arguing on basis of religious dogma.

@ayesha.a In this day and age marital rape or even a hint of possibility of marital abuse needs protection, I was under the impression that Modi'ji government will be a progressive about these issues and take proactive steps to ensure protection of women, but this step seems backward and absurd.

I absolutely detest the idea that marital rape wouldn't be defined to be a punishable criminal offense. PM should look into this and revert the stand. One of the steps is to write to the PMO,, it is as simple as writing on the forum to bring visibility to the issue.

Do you have a link to where I can write to the PMO? Or any govt department that focuses on these issues? If so, I will definitely write to them.

Mr Modi is just one person, and unlike the USA, one person at the top is not really that powerful, as the recent election campaign may have led people to believe. Public policy is still dictated by the political machinery of the party/parties in power. The BJP has quite a lot of regressive elements that it needs to cater to. Modi or no Modi, these elements will have a say in decision making.

There is really not much to debate about this particular issue - forcing sex on a woman when she doesn't want to do it, is rape, and is a crime. If wives were physically capable of raping their husbands, you can bet that today's statement would have been "Marital rape should not be allowed, since it is against Indian tradition." That's a convenient peg onto which people hang any decision they have to make, whether or not it is true. Do you think that marital rape is an inherent part of Indian culture? And if it is, should it be?

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom