What's new

India Mulls Stationing of Ground Forces in Afghanistan

India Mulls Stationing of Ground Forces in Afghanistan

NEW DELHI — The Indian government is evaluating the possibility of stationing troops in Afghanistan after the international forces begin leaving the country in 2014.

An Indian Ministry of Defence source said no decision has yet been taken, but the possibility of putting boots in Afghanistan is under consideration by the Indian government.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai is visiting New Delhi May 20-22 and the issue of stationing of Indian troops is likely to be discussed, said an official of the Indian External Affairs Ministry.

“It is in India’s interest to enhance security and defense cooperation with Afghanistan,” added the official, but he would not comment if a decision has been made.

Currently, India’s defense relations with Afghanistan is only at the cooperation level, including training of personnel at Indian institutes. The Indian government had previously opposed stationing ground troops unless it is under the umbrella of the United Nations.

“New Delhi will have to be very careful in supplying weapons and equipment and stationing troops in Afghanistan so that it does not project itself to be over enthusiastic in its presence in Afghanistan, once the international troops leave in 2014,” said analyst Nitin Mehta.

India has built roads and infrastructure in Afghanistan with the assistance of the Border Roads Organisation.
India Mulls Stationing of Ground Forces in Afghanistan | Defense News | defensenews.com

good then they can be slaughtered as in 1839....

Really? We have troops to spare in a foreign country? We all remember how our Indian Peacekeeping Forces fared in Sri Lanka - if the Tamils hated anyone more than the Sinhalese after that than it was the Indian Army. Stationing troops abroad is not only expensive, it also invariably leads to discontent among the local population against that country.

Götterdämmerung;4309705 said:
No, I never said that. Do you have some kind of comprehension problems?

Let's not kid ourselves, both you and I as well as the rest of the crowd at pdf know very well what I meant by that. ;)

Dont touch that thing, India. Its really dangerous. Business is business, dont not involve other issues. India got enough headache from some extremist.

It's a wonderful news. Easy target practice, in our own backyard. No more expensive blank target paper. Good for the environment as well. :D
You too, Hyperion? :fie: I thought you were the mature one out here - a fresh apple amongst the rotten ones in this PDF basket! I sure am disappointed at your post. :tdown:

Really? We have troops to spare in a foreign country? We all remember how our Indian Peacekeeping Forces fared in Sri Lanka - if the Tamils hated anyone more than the Sinhalese after that than it was the Indian Army. Stationing troops abroad is not only expensive, it also invariably leads to discontent among the local population against that country.

in Sri Lanka you were caught between the rock and the sea as on one hand you were supporting LTTE and on the other hand your army was there to side with SL govt. and in the process your intelligence had got your own armymen killed at the hands of LTTE.

Here in Afghanistan you dont have a Tamil ethnic obligation

Oh c'mon what's so surprising about this? it's our country and our rules who we welcome and who we kick should not be a problem to anyone!

We have close and friendly relations with India and we have enough of combat force to fight the insurgency and foreign threats on our own but India's technical support in various military fields would be appreciable if they send a group of their officers to train and support ANSF especially if they are going to give us artillery, tanks and air defense equipments.

The Indian government is evaluating the possibility of stationing troops in Afghanistan after the international forces begin leaving the country in 2014.

An Indian Ministry of Defence source said no decision has yet been taken, but the possibility of putting boots in Afghanistan is under consideration by the Indian government.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai is visiting New Delhi May 20-22 and the issue of stationing of Indian troops is likely to be discussed.

The Indian government had previously opposed stationing ground troops unless it is under the umbrella of the United Nations.

“New Delhi will have to be very careful in supplying weapons and equipment and stationing troops in Afghanistan so that it does not project itself to be over enthusiastic in its presence in Afghanistan, once the international troops leave in 2014,” said analyst Nitin Mehta.

India has built roads and infrastructure in Afghanistan with the assistance of the Border Roads Organisation.

Read the bold parts of Para.. If Foreign troops will under UN umbrella, then Pakistan and BD also will send the peacekeepers. (Pak and BD activity in UN Peacekeeping is admirable)

I don't know why some Pakistani and Indian are trolling here. Mr Karzai had asked for Indian troops, What do you want , India say No???

In diplomacy "No" is Never said. If a Diplomat says "No", He is not a diplomat.

Dude, post wasn't racial or personal. Nothing to do with it at all, you know me better than that. It's just that Afghanistan is my personal background, and I don't like any foreign boots meddling in our affairs there. Even if the "gods" themselves had planned to send an army there, those would be my exact words in reply! :D

You too, Hyperion? :fie: I thought you were the mature one out here - a fresh apple amongst the rotten ones in this PDF basket! I sure am disappointed at your post. :tdown:

Oh c'mon what's so surprising about this? it's our country and our rules who we welcome and who we kick should not be a problem to anyone!

We have close and friendly relations with India and we have enough of combat force to fight the insurgency and foreign threats on our own but India's technical support in various military fields would be appreciable if they send a group of their officers to train and support ANSF especially if they are going to give us artillery, tanks and air defense equipments.

the trainers had already been approved so indeed its NOT about trainers here in the renewed "possibility".

the trainers had already been approved so indeed its NOT about trainers here in the renewed "possibility".

@Hyperion

Hindu-Kush 2.0? That will make such a good movie. I am migrating to your lands, cant miss the fun :D

Or it could be Gujrat 2.0? Who knows? At least will make a better movie...

Now go give yourself an infraction for your very distasteful post (or better yet ban yourself), and next time keep your highly distasteful posts to yourself...

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a very serious call to make.

You don't want to be cleaning up the mess after America leaves. We saw what happened last time, after Afghanistan was left in a mess by foreign powers.

Definitely not going to get involved in the Afghan Govt vs Taliban war. Troops if we send will probably be with UN umbrella, mostly with the intent of defending Indian asssets and infrastructure built for Afghans.

If India unilaterally sends troops to fight the Taliban, then some Afghans might view it as a foreign power occupying their land and killing their people, so that option should be a big No-No, unless of course the Afghan people want it.

That is a very serious call to make.

You don't want to be cleaning up the mess after America leaves. We saw what happened last time, after Afghanistan was left in a mess by foreign powers.

Definitely not going to get involved in the Afghan Govt vs Taliban war. Troops if we send will probably be with UN umbrella, mostly with the intent of defending Indian asssets and infrastructure built for Afghans.

If India unilaterally sends troops to fight the Taliban, then some Afghans might view it as a foreign power occupying their land and killing their people, so that option should be a big No-No, unless of course the Afghan people want it.

Hope Pakistani troops are the ones who get the foot-hold in Afghanistan and let's hope Pakistani govt gives all kinds of sweeteners to Afghanistan - in fact, an overhaul of policy to a very brotherly, sisterly, motherly, fatherly... whatever :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom