What's new

India moves to end primary teaching in English as Modi unveils major education reforms

Hindi is Urdu repacked in a new box to fulfill the egos of low IQ Hindus.

Hindi and Urdu are one and the same.

The progenitor language of Urdu is Dari (dialect of Farsi native to Afghanistan and Pakistan.) Urdu formed in military camps like this one.

MughalCov1.jpg

Hence the name Zaban e Urdu, Language of the Ordu (Turk-Mongol word for military camp.)

Most of the soldiers recruited for these military camps were Mujahideen of Persian-speaking Turk-Mongol origin and locals from among Pukhtoons and Punjabis.

Even today, most of the influence on Urdu from Indus Valley region comes from the Punjabi language. The two are very similar as both share commonalities in sentence structure and many of the same words.

Nobody did it forcefully, but I was a Bengali medium student until Class VIII.

Never be able to adjust that well.....? Really? Because of my vocabulary, or my accent, or the miasma of curry that I carry around? Disclaimer - my accent does change between the way I speak in India and the way I speak elsewhere, and my vocabulary is a trifle Edwardian. @jbgt90 objects to the language I use and the way I use it, so I have been sludging my way downwards into a more demotic speech.

I have to deal with the likes of those who don't know the difference between Tamizh, or Thamizh, sometimes spelt Tamil, and tameez, as akin to tehzeeb.

Och aye, the sorrow of it a'. We maun dree our ain weird.

You were from a different era when children had real drive, motivation, and willingness to be educated properly.

Today's generation of Indian kids raised on a smartphone diet will be hell-damned if they don't speak English from their mother's womb.

I was taught Urdu as a child on my mother's insistence and was homeschooled for a few years. My father wanted me to learn Punjabi at an early age so I was packed away to proper Punjab and enrolled in a school: it was a hodgepodge of languages in my tiny brain. I did take more interest in Urdu than Gurmukhi Punjabi (it's a disaster script similar to Devangari). Basically my parents were fighting a bitter custody battle on their years of separation drama (they never divorced however), and each wanted their way on me. Thankfully, both parents came to their perfect senses and I was enrolled in a proper ICSE English medium in Mumbai by 3rd/4th. Anyway, long story short. I am really thankful for that kind of childhood exposure to non-English languages.

Even I learned proper English a bit late.

But today's generation is different. They just no longer have the drive to learn another language....they're addicted to programming, video gaming, sexting, yes. I really don't know how to handle today's generation of Indian kids: they're all acting like zombies.

LOL.

If you have any south Indian friend, ask him. This is the standard form, and contains a letter that cannot be reproduced in any variation of Brahmi.

Please don't ask for the connection.
But again you didn't seem to understand me or just too lazy to read. I clearly wrote there may be certain sounds that are outside Devanagiri which Devangiri can't incorporate.(they can certainly add new alphabets for that) South Indians will have an alphabet for that which Devanagiri doesn't have simply because Hindi/Marathi speakers don't have a sound for that.

I also made a distinction between Hindi and Marathi Devanagiri with Marathi Devanagiri having and using alphabets that Hindi Devanagiri doesn't have. (For sounds not present in Hindi)

Please ready my post carefully again. Being this stupid doesn't suit you or maybe you just want to pick a lost argument with me.

You are trying to use Devanagiri script for alphabets outside of its current corpus. My point of contention is that Devanagiri is near perfect for words within its corpus. Even a small kid can understand my point of contention here.

Last edited:
Disclaimer - my accent does change between the way I speak in India and the way I speak elsewhere, and my vocabulary is a trifle Edwardian. .

You sound like a tosh. The most pedantic servant of Her Majesty's Dis-honorable East India Company. Indeed, your choice of vocubulary is from the mid 20th century, if not earlier.

Being raised in a Household where English was nearly a first language along with Urdu is why I can shame the gora on his own turf.
Being multilingual was an advantage for Indian Children - it actually helped their natural learning processes.

I used to go to school and sweat through Bengali (and a bit of Sanskrit at the beginning, and then return home, where a relentless Mum would let me have whatever she (=the khansamah) had cooked up, and then it was down to Arthur Mee: Old Tubal Cain was a man of might, and a man of might was he....

That was when I groaned my way through ..."Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate...."

Then out spake brave Horatius,
The Captain of the Gate:
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his Gods?

Macaulay, of the Minute on Education fame, thought up the poem in the Nilgiri mountains, at Ooty, close to where my Mum was born, so it all fits in, in some crazy jalebi way. Of course, it had to be Macaulay, as we discuss education and its liberation from his iron and long-dead fist.

Incidentally the only scholastic prize that Churchill (not related to Winston Hannibal in any way) won at school was one for memorising and reciting this poem in its entirety, from "Lars Porsena of Clusium, a mighty oath he swore...." onwards.

I meander a lot these days.

Would be lovely to see the chaos in translation when these disparate groups have to coalesce in higher education and then abroad.

Being raised in a Household where English was nearly a first language along with Urdu is why I can shame the gora on his own turf.
Being multilingual was an advantage for Indian Children - it actually helped their natural learning processes.

Since Hindi hasn’t been enforced throughout anyway and now the other common lingua franca is being shown the door, one wonders when the language wars will begin?

Milosz had a point “Language is the only homeland” .. remove a common denominator and see how the chasms form.

Today's generation of kids don't have the drive, motivation, or willingness to learn things on their own. They can't be compelled to read a damned book (most won't even touch a comic book which was a staple in the pre-Internet era). That damned tablet/smartphone addiction is turning them into zombies.

Against this backdrop, the fascist Modi government in India decided to remove English from the primary school curriculum of India. This is nothing but a huge disaster in the making. Forcing the children to learn Hindi will produce a serious backlash in the coming few years. It's really the main point. All children have to learn at least 2 languages at a primary school level. One, their own mother tongue...and one English. So, if English is gone, what will the non-Hindi speaker children have to learn? Of course, Hindi. I can't see what could possibly go wrong (sic!).

Horrible Modi government...horrible people

Damn everyone speaks English. When a German and a Spaniard meet, they speak English. When a Chinese and a Laotian meet, they speak English.

You come to Quebec and see how far English gets you :)

Actually I found out quite the hard way how far standard French gets me....that sticks out too, and very quickly.

But easy to learn other once you know one variant...and have to use daily.

True, true. Whatever floats your boat.
I apologize if I insulted you anywhere as I really get irritated sometimes if people beat about the bush instead of talking straight. This behavior is ok from people you expect to behave like this but it irritates you more if people you don't expect behave in this manner.

My apologies again.

You come to Quebec and see how far English gets you :)

Actually I found out quite the hard way how far standard French gets me....that sticks out too, and very quickly.

But easy to learn other once you know one variant...and have to use daily.

Oh you live in Quebec, damn you. I only came to London, Ontario once...never even been to Toronto. I was in the States which is a hell lot better than boring Canada.

Quebec must be a crazy place beyond anyone's imagination.

Back
Top Bottom