What's new

India may take a third Russian nuclear attack submarine on lease

SSN: The killer submarines, Is necessary for CBG.. 2 SSN/SSK per CBG is recommended.
SSBN/SSGN: These type of submarines are useful for second strike.. Once SSK and ASW clear the sea these machine can deliver payload to hostile land.

I think India Navy is planning 1 SSN each to CBG. The CBG will look like this

CBG1: INS Vikadi (FlagShip)
Destroyers : 2-3 Antisubmarine Destroyers, 1-2 Anti-Air destroyers
Frigate: 2-3 (1 stealth Frigate for forward Patrol).
Submarine : 1 SSN , 2 SSK (Scorpion)
Supply Ship

CBG1: INS Vikrant Class Carrier 1 (FlagShip)
Supply Ship

All I know India was supposed to fund for 2 Akula class. So this is the 2nd one. Great to have 2 Akulas:)

SSN: The killer submarines, Is necessary for CBG.. 2 SSN/SSK per CBG is recommended.
SSBN/SSGN: These type of submarines are useful for second strike.. Once SSK and ASW clear the sea these machine can deliver payload to hostile land.

I think India Navy is planning 1 SSN each to CBG. The CBG will look like this

CBG1: INS Vikadi (FlagShip)
Supply Ship

CBG1: INS Vikrant Class Carrier 1 (FlagShip)
Supply Ship

I doubt SSK would be deployed as part of a CBG. It would be 2 SSNs. SSks should be deployed for protecting EEZ and not CBGS. what are you views @Capt.Popeye

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion India should buy instead of leasing this Nuclear Submarine.
I think that there is some rule/treaty that prohibits the globally recognized nuclear powers from selling nuclear submarines to other countries.But there is a loophole to this law that it doesn't mention anything about leasing them.So it is this loophole that is being used in the trade of nuclear submarines.

Hence buying them is not necessary since we can go on extending the lease until the service life of the ship is over and the it can be sent back.But the MTCR rule regarding the missiles still apply.That is why all the long range missiles are scrapped from it before they are delivered.

In my opinion India should buy instead of leasing this Nuclear Submarine.

Nuclear submarines can not be bought ;) hence the lease option

I think that there is some rule/treaty that prohibits the globally recognized nuclear powers from selling nuclear submarines to other countries.But there is a loophole to this law that it doesn't mention anything about leasing them.So it is this loophole that is being used in the trade of nuclear submarines.

Hence buying them is not necessary since we can go on extending the lease until the service life of the ship is over and the it can be sent back.But the MTCR rule regarding the missiles still apply.That is why all the long range missiles are scrapped from it before they are delivered.

yep spot on

Dorofeev said that the new submarine could also benefit from the design efforts that Russia had put in its latest class of Yasen nuclear-powered attack submarines.

"The fourth generation of Yasen class submarine has been tested successfully, including the firing of a cruise missile from the submerged vessel. We can use that experience for the second Indian submarine. The launch was done using a new vertical launch system that can be used for the next submarine," Dorofeev said.

Found this video about the Yasen Class submarine SSN

]

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt SSK would be deployed as part of a CBG. It would be 2 SSNs. SSks should be deployed for protecting EEZ and not CBGS. what are you views @Capt. Popeye

SSKs don't have the speed or range to cope up with CBGs . Hence world around they use SSNs for that role .

I am pretty sure that if we go for the second Akula , then it would mean that Indian Navy is seriously contemplating in keeping them ie either buying them or extending their lease by another 10 yr, once it expires.

It could also mean that our second SSK project is delayed
so considering the fact that we would be left with just 4 Kilos, 2 U209s and 6 Scorpenes for attack role then, have 2 Akula SSN in fleet as backup will become necessary,
Not to mention the fact that a Single Akula II Sub packs in more firepower than 4 Kilo class Sub

Dorofeev said that the new submarine could also benefit from the design efforts that Russia had put in its latest class of Yasen nuclear-powered attack submarines.

"The fourth generation of Yasen class submarine has been tested successfully, including the firing of a cruise missile from the submerged vessel. We can use that experience for the second Indian submarine. The launch was done using a new vertical launch system that can be used for the next submarine," Dorofeev said.

At least you have realized the important part of the report mate! ;)

The lease of "just" another Akula II class sub would not be something special, since it's "only" an SSN, with land attack capabilities only via torpedo tubes. If we can get a Yasen class type instead, the sub will have vertical launch capabilities to use Brahmos (Yasen is able to carry up to 24 of them ), not to mention a moder modern design and better systems.
I am suggesting to get that sub for a long time and would have loved to see a co-development, with joint production of hull sections and parts, but the integration of an Indian propulsion, but our developments in that regard are still at the begining I guess.
Would be great if we can add such power to the fleet, I only wonder when it really might be available?

Due to international treaties...no nuclear missile will be launched from this sub..
Even brahmos will be conventional less than 300km range...
No chance of a ballistic missile launch from a leased sub..

Due to international treaties...no nuclear missile will be launched from this sub..

Of course- this is a SSN. That is why India is developing its own class of SSBNs.

At least you have realized the important part of the report mate! ;)

The lease of "just" another Akula II class sub would not be something special, since it's "only" an SSN, with land attack capabilities only via torpedo tubes. If we can get a Yasen class type instead, the sub will have vertical launch capabilities to use Brahmos (Yasen is able to carry up to 24 of them ), not to mention a moder modern design and better systems.
I am suggesting to get that sub for a long time and would have loved to see a co-development, with joint production of hull sections and parts, but the integration of an Indian propulsion, but our developments in that regard are still at the begining I guess.
Would be great if we can add such power to the fleet, I only wonder when it really might be available?

Sancho has the atomic reactor on-board our Arihant submarine been activated yet? I know there was some news report to say it will be in early June but given the level of secrecy I have not seen any other reports on this.

Treaty is about NOT transferring the capabilities ( Tech ) and hardware ( missile ). It has nothing to do with firing it from the sub if leasing country already have said things.

BM missile isnt only option. CM can do the job too. And anyways you need SSBN to fire BM

Unfortunately Nirbhay isn't ready yet. Be sure the day it enter in service it will be on every sub that can fire it.

The new improved version of Brahmos can have a higher range of 500km plus it will be linked to the Russian GPS-GLONASS

Sancho has the atomic reactor on-board our Arihant submarine been activated yet? I know there was some news report to say it will be in early June but given the level of secrecy I have not seen any other reports on this.

It's active for sure, since they already have done sea trials, but I think it still goes for reliability trials. Didn't heared much new either.

Back
Top Bottom