What's new

India may take a third Russian nuclear attack submarine on lease

It's active for sure, since they already have done sea trials, but I think it still goes for reliability trials. Didn't heared much new either.

If a reactor achieved criticality doesn't that mean it has passed all desired safeguards ???

Three hundred Indian Navy personnel are being trained in Russia for the operation of the Akula II submarine Nerpa. India has finalized a deal with Russia, in which at the end of the lease of these submarines, it has an option to buy them. The submarine will be named INS Chakra as was the previous India-leased Soviet Charlie-I SSGN.[25] INS Chakra was officially inducted into the Indian Navy on April 4, 2012.[26][27]

Whereas the Russian Navy's Akula-II could be equipped with 28 nuclear-capable cruise missiles with a striking range of 3,000 km (1,620 nmi; 1,864 mi), the Indian version was reportedly expected to be armed with the 300 km (162 nmi; 186 mi)-range 3M-54 Klub nuclear-capable missiles.[28] Missiles with ranges greater than 300 km (162 nmi; 186 mi) cannot be exported due to arms control restrictions, since Russia is a signatory to the MTCR treaty

Akula-class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

actually you can't.Indian media and its stupidity..no country can buy a nuclear subs as it violates the NPT(even if they can sell it to the NPT signatory state,we're certainly not one,whole world will rip us apart on this issue),though there is no explicit rule about it(as nobody expected sale of nuclear subs in 1960s,but there is law against selling nuclear equipment for military use,mainly missiles).but there was a debate about it since 1990s,and soon we might see a law which will prohibit to sale of this kind of tech.India simply avoided the controversy by leasing them.and I don't trust wiki or India Today,from which that part was taken.If I'm not wrong,there was no evidence of selling a nuclear powered boat in the history.even if there is no rule against it,simply international pressure will stop the sale,just like they did in case of Brazil.

actually you can't.Indian media and its stupidity..no country can buy a nuclear subs as it violates the NPT(even if they can sell it to the NPT signatory state,we're certainly not one,whole world will rip us apart on this issue),though there is no explicit rule about it(as nobody expected sale of nuclear subs in 1960s,but there is law against selling nuclear equipment for military use,mainly missiles).but there was a debate about it since 1990s,and soon we might see a law which will prohibit to sale of this kind of tech.India simply avoided the controversy by leasing them.and I don't trust wiki or India Today,from which that part was taken.If I'm not wrong,there was no evidence of selling a nuclear powered boat in the history.even if there is no rule against it,simply international pressure will stop the sale,just like they did in case of Brazil.

This offers is not given by Indian media but Russia. No ban on nuclear propelled vessels only ban is by MTCR to armed it with nuclear weapons.

What's the use of leasing a nuclear sub when it's not equipped with nuclear missiles? Do we really need a expensive nuclear sub to launch brahmos Missle that's range is only 290 kms? :confused:

What's the use of leasing a nuclear sub when it's not equipped with nuclear missiles? Do we really need a expensive nuclear sub to launch brahmos Missle that's range is only 290 kms? :confused:

Akula class submaraines are attack submarines. they are used to attack enemy warships and submarines. Since the submarines are nuclear powered they don't have to surface often for refueling. It allows the sub to stay undetected for longer period of time.

Akula class submaraines are attack submarines. they are used to attack enemy warships and submarines. Since the submarines are nuclear powered they don't have to surface often for refueling. It allows the sub to stay undetected for longer period of time.

But isn't it supposed to be equipped with long range missiles?

Yes. But that's a tradeoff we need to make. Russia cannot give us longer range missile due to MTCR. We needed a Nuclear sub to train our personnel so that they can gain experience and in future operate Indian made Arihant class of submarines and at the same time give a boost to our depleting conventional subs.

I wonder if Russia would let India have it this time, since tension between China and India are increasing, Russia would not want to **** the Chinese off, and to some extent **** of the Pakistanis as well, since Americans are leaving Afghanistan and Russia would want some influence there and would try to get on the good side of Pakistan...

@RangerPK It doesn't matter buddy, Its a military deal. India is a much bigger client for Russia and a strategic partner in South Asia.
If the reason you are stating was important, they wouldn't have agreed to give Fifth gen fighter or Super Sukhois for that matter. Its about money AND keeping an old ally rather than loosing it for potential Ally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if Russia would let India have it this time, since tension between China and India are increasing, Russia would not want to **** the Chinese off, and to some extent **** of the Pakistanis as well, since Americans are leaving Afghanistan and Russia would want some influence there and would try to get on the good side of Pakistan...

Russian diplomacy and geopolitical considerations are far from uni-dimensional. They have always maintained a certain amount of parity in our relations. Not to mention that the option to lease further submarines was added as a mutual consideration. Otherwise there are many sub-systems that Russia would not have imparted, a valid example would be the very fact that they helped us out in ironing out bugs in our own indigenous SSBN program. Not something that nations do very often. So no, we do not have anything to fear from the hyperbolic assertions with regard to pi$$ing off someone.

the Russians will let the indians have it
they are better than an ATM card which at least, asks for your password for money withdrawal
incapable indians are using this trick to keep a balance between usa and russia

The scenario is:
indians will use the sub for espionage and surveillance deep into scs
they are breaking their banks for it
if the indian navy sinks the sub, it will be a total loss so it is better for the Russian to ask for a heavy deposit upfront

:rofl: I laughed so hard , I just farted a little.

Its Russia you are talking about buddy.

It will be the day we induct Sub launch Nirbhay.

Yes. But that's a tradeoff we need to make. Russia cannot give us longer range missile due to MTCR. We needed a Nuclear sub to train our personnel so that they can gain experience and in future operate Indian made Arihant class of submarines and at the same time give a boost to our depleting conventional subs.

The one we get on lease is a "Hunter".
The one we are making is a "boomer"

The experience we get from Akula will be limited to maintaining N-reactor only. But it will help us in future if we go for making our own SSN.

Keep wondering. No problems with that.
High self esteem is always good. Only delusions wont help in any case

the Russians will let the indians have it
they are better than an ATM card which at least, asks for your password for money withdrawal
incapable indians are using this trick to keep a balance between usa and russia

The scenario is:
indians will use the sub for espionage and surveillance deep into scs
they are breaking their banks for it
if the indian navy sinks the sub, it will be a total loss so it is better for the Russian to ask for a heavy deposit upfront

Exactly the way they did with you in last decade and helped you to earn the worlds biggest importer of weapons in those decades. Right ???

I feel India should ask Rusks for some help and develop our own SSN/SSGN based on
Akula-II, but of lesser size and lesser tonnage.

Then we can equip it with hypersonic anti-ship BrahMos after 2020.

I think if India builds SSNs, they will be based on Arihant but with displacement of 8,000 or 8,000+ tons(up sized Arihant)

Back
Top Bottom