What's new

India may award Chinook and Apache contracts this year

I suppose if India becomes the world's most populous country, it would become the target, and America and China would gang up against India, like what they did to the USSR in the 1980s. :patsak:

in the 80s USSR had become the world's most populous country?

And how did you manage to make that post without talking about DSI?

How about get this contract fast and for any future orders like for army let tata's or L&T manufacture them?
tata is already manufacturing parts of C-130 and helicopter cabins, it will be quite good any future orders can be supplied from india saving a lot of $...

How about get this contract fast and for any future orders like for army let tata's or L&T manufacture them?
tata is already manufacturing parts of C-130 and helicopter cabins, it will be quite good any future orders can be supplied from india saving a lot of $...

These are no licence production deals and not even aimed at many additional orders, since there is no requirement. The Chinook is meant only for heavy lift, while the Mi17s will be the backbone in the transport roles. The Apache also is only meant for a specific purpose (replacement of Mi 35s or to support 3 strike corps, while Rudra and LCH will be the backbone for fire support roles.
MoD actually could save a lot of money here, if they just aim on improving Rudra and LCH with a mast mounted radar for example and better weapons, than procuring expensive Apaches.

India's Apache & Chinook Buys To Be Cleared This Month

Half a century after the Indian Air Force last operated U.S.-built helicopters, it's about to happen again. India will push through deals for 22 Boeing Apache Block IIIs and 15 CH-47F Chinooks this month, a little under two years after the two American choppers beat out Russian rivals in two separate Indian Air Force competitions. That's amazingly swift by Indian procurement standards. The Indian MoD's Defence Acquisition Council will meet for the first time under India's new government on July 19, where both deals are expected to be signed off on and moved up for final clearance from the Union Cabinet.
Two reports today confirm in Mail Today and Times Of India that the two deals are final and are primed for signing.
The Apache beat out the Russian Mi-28NE, while the Chinook defeated the Mi-26T. They won't be the first American-built choppers in Indian military service though -- the Indian Navy received six UH-3H Sea King choppers along with the erstwhile USS Trenton (now INS Jalashwa) in 2007. The first US-built chopper with the Indian armed forces was the Sikorsky S-55 in the fifties.

These are no licence production deals and not even aimed at many additional orders, since there is no requirement. The Chinook is meant only for heavy lift, while the Mi17s will be the backbone in the transport roles. The Apache also is only meant for a specific purpose (replacement of Mi 35s or to support 3 strike corps, while Rudra and LCH will be the backbone for fire support roles.
MoD actually could save a lot of money here, if they just aim on improving Rudra and LCH with a mast mounted radar for example and better weapons, than procuring expensive Apaches.
It can be as Army might get another ~39 Apaches, it would be great if some part are build in india atleast by offset clause.
I also came to know that india might even push for another 12 C130J for Air force, 2 special C130J for Met Dep and its one of the front line contender as small brother for P-8, sure MOD can save alot of money on Rudra and LCH, i believe, army and airforce too are interested in Apache and LCH both have requirements in india.

I don't understand why india considers Chinook as heavy lift, US has CH-53 as much bigger and heavy lift helicopter than Chinook. India rejected Mi-26 which is in reality a real Heavy lift helicopter, it lost because of Maintenance issues, unreliable russian spare supply and higher life cycle cost..what i believe india Chinook count might increase further to 25 or 30, all in airforce.
22 Apache in Airforce, 70+ LCH and 40+ Rudra. Rudra and LCH can act as heli support.
Army on other hand will have 39 Apache, 140+ LCH and 60+ Rudra, 200 odd Dhruv, 200 Light Helicopters. it won't get Mi-17.
Building some parts of apache will help indian industry and knowledge gain and will even help in LCH improvements.

It can be as Army might get another ~39 Apaches, it would be great if some part are build in india atleast by offset clause.
I also came to know that india might even push for another 12 C130J for Air force, 2 special C130J for Met Dep and its one of the front line contender as small brother for P-8, sure MOD can save alot of money on Rudra and LCH, i believe, army and airforce too are interested in Apache and LCH both have requirements in india.

I don't understand why india considers Chinook as heavy lift, US has CH-53 as much bigger and heavy lift helicopter than Chinook. India rejected Mi-26 which is in reality a real Heavy lift helicopter, it lost because of Maintenance issues, unreliable russian spare supply and higher life cycle cost..what i believe india Chinook count might increase further to 25 or 30, all in airforce.
22 Apache in Airforce, 70+ LCH and 40+ Rudra. Rudra and LCH can act as heli support.
Army on other hand will have 39 Apache, 140+ LCH and 60+ Rudra, 200 odd Dhruv, 200 Light Helicopters. it won't get Mi-17.
Building some parts of apache will help indian industry and knowledge gain and will even help in LCH improvements.

Exactly.

US has CH-53 as much bigger and heavy lift helicopter than Chinook

Chinook can carry up to 12 ton of load while CH 53E can carry up to 16,300 kg payload(external).

• Payload: internal: 30,000 lb or 13,600 kg (external: 32,000 lb or 14,500 kg)

First of all, they don't want "another" 39 or so (numbers vary), but they want a total of 39 "including" the initial 22! The 22 was the IAF number to replace a similar number of Mi 35s, which already are diverted to IA, but IA wants a 3rd squad to fulfill their requirements, while IAF is insisting on getting the replacements of the Mi 35s, since they were initially under their control. So unless MoD decides to waste more money and gift IAF with 22 x Apaches that has no purpose when IA gets their own combat helicopters, the total number will remain at 39, while the first 22 might be inducted into IAF first and diverted to IA later.
Secondly, even the UK got an assembly line for Apaches only with an far bigger order and there is simply no gain for us to waste so much money, when we already develop and produce own combat helicopters.

I don't understand why india considers Chinook as heavy lift, US has CH-53 as much bigger and heavy lift helicopter than Chinook.
Me neither and the Uttarakhand resuce operations already showed that it was a silly decision, that will lead to operational limitations in future. However, the real problem is, that IAF insisted on evaluating currently availbale helicopters only and with the production of the older CH53 varient ended, while the K is only under development yet, they limited their options and capabilities by far!

No it won't since it's a complete different design and system. LCHs will gain much more from upgraded Dhruv and operational experience of Rudra after the induction, since it's based on them.

Back
Top Bottom