What's new

India, Israel to Build Anti-Missile System

Absolute security is a myth, I doubt the two countries can make a system capable of providing blanket security, the two, particularly the Israelis need to realize that it is not some home made rockets (like Hizbullah's) they have to design the system for, both China and Pakistan (the system is probably aimed at them), are very advanced in the fields of rocketry and missile systems, lets see what the two come up with.....

Nearly 30 percent of LR SAM is Indian .
They have already inducted BARAK 8 and we are yet to test it!!. this is not how joint venture are done.
To make matters worse, we are buying BARAK 1 from Israel, is this how joint venture is done ?
show me an article where it says that only 30 % of LRSAM is Indian.

We are yet to test it??.Integration of Barak 8 has already started.

Barak 1 was not a joint venture,it was Barak 8.

They have already inducted BARAK 8
No, we did not even start building ships which can accommodate Barak 8.

To make matters worse, we are buying BARAK 1 from Israel, is this how joint venture is done ?
Barak 1 was bought long time ago and not related.

Absolute security is a myth, I doubt the two countries can make a system capable of providing blanket security, the two, particularly the Israelis need to realize that it is not some home made rockets (like Hizbullah's) they have to design the system for, both China and Pakistan (the system is probably aimed at them), are very advanced in the fields of rocketry and missile systems, lets see what the two come up with.....

I think you've only Iron Dome in your Mind... That's Designed for Hamas and Hezbollah(also Arrow)... But Arrow 3 that's for Ballistic Missiles and Israel and France are already Developing a Anti-Missile To Identify and Destroy the particular Nuke tipped Missile..

No, we did not even start building ships which can accommodate Barak 8.

But there's was a News, I think i even read in Arutz Seva that barak-8 is being integrated on Sa'ar 5

why buy Barak 1 when we should be integrating Barak 8?. link that we are buying Barak 1. link below.

indiatoday.intoday.in/story/defence-ministry-finally-clears-barak-missile-deal-with-israel/1/332599.html
Barak 1 and Barak 8 are different class missiles. Barak 1 is small point defence missile with 12 km range its role similar to RAM and Phalanx.

Barak 8 is large missile with 60-70 km range (w/o boster) and 100-110 km (w booster).

Barak 8 is being integrated by Israel on its three 1,075 ton Saar 5 class corvettes
I'm not able to post link.
Its wrong info. Barak 8 is way too big for Saar 5.

title is wrong. should be "Israel to build anti-missile system for India"

When your so called enemy is developing hypersonic cruise missile speed over mach 10 will be hard target to intercept why waste money on defensive weapon the best thing is to developing similar weapons.
yes
BMD is a costly venture, It's success rate is also far from impressive. It's countermeasures are more easily developed

title is wrong. should be "Israel to build anti-missile system for India"

its right.......we have prithvi air defense system,they have mobile defence radar
both will be combined,so its kind of a JV

yes
BMD is a costly venture, It's success rate is also far from impressive. It's countermeasures are more easily developed
It is a rapidly evolving technology exactly how SAM was an evolving tech with a relatively low success rate and reliability in the late 70's to early 90's.

Failure to invest now in BMD will lead to India having to buy the systems from other countries in say another decade when the technology does evolve to become as mature and as effective as today's SAM systems are.

BMD is the new SAM, so to speak.

If we start investing now, in the future, we will be one of those from whom other countries buy.

Barak 8 is large missile with 60-70 km range (w/o boster) and 100-110 km (w booster).
To be honest, even Barak 8(70kms range) is woefully under ranged to be a fleet air defence system that it is envisaged to be.

The 100-110 km range is only for the land launched versions.

It needs to be a minimum 100kms on naval systems as well to be good in the role both IN and IsN want it to be.

Pl give some more detail.

PDV shall be a missile of Arrow 3 class ans intercept the enemy missile between 150 to 250 KM. Next gen AD1 and and AD 2 shall be of THAAD class. Indian Missile and software, Israeli sensor and Radar fused to gather may produce higly lethal weapon like LR and MR SAM.

dear no more detail is available .... but this is either a new project or 'comprehensive collaboration' of Israel in Prithivi Air Defence project PAD (which is more likely) as far as PDV is concern its is supposed to be a new project (two stage Prithivi).

Based upon reported detail I believe its of PAD class system but advance in some trades (like networking and radar technology), and I am making my guess on the bases of these two clues in the article

“The proposed missile defense program will be a network of air defense systems and radars from India and Israel,” a Rafael executive said at Defexpo, which runs from Thursday to Sunday.
The Rafael executive said his company has offered to build a dedicated C4I system for the program. India does not yet have a C4I system for missile defense threats, the executive added.

Last edited:
To be honest, even Barak 8(70kms range) is woefully under ranged to be a fleet air defence system that it is envisaged to be.

The 100-110 km range is only for the land launched versions.

It needs to be a minimum 100kms on naval systems as well to be good in the role both IN and IsN want it to be.
Currently best system in Indian Navy is Shtil-1 with range of 32 km, so its serious boost. I dont know why booster version is not installed, coz Barak-8 with booster has 600 cm length, can fit in destroyer easily.

Shtil-1 - 555 cm (32 km range)
Barak-8 - 450 cm (60-70 km range)
Barak-8 with booster - 600 cm (100-110 km range)

Last edited:
Currently best system in Indian Navy is Shtil-1 with range of 32 km, so its serious boost. I dont know why booster version is not installed, coz Barak-8 with booster has 600 cm length, can fit in destroyer easily.

Shtil-1 - 555 cm (32 km range)
Barak-8 - 450 cm (60-70 km range)
Barak-8 with booster - 600 cm (100-110 km range)
While Barak 8 in IN would undoubtedly be the best system in IN, my point was more towards the threats today rather than compare whether Barak gives a boost or not.

It does give a boost and a big one at that, but is it enough? That is my question.

No, neither IsN, nor IN are planning to use the booster version Barak 8. The land forces/ land based Barak 8 would use the boosters. So for all purposes IN and IsN would have a 70kms ranged SAM on their ships. Its not enough to act as fleet air defence systems.

When your so called enemy is developing hypersonic cruise missile speed over mach 10 will be hard target to intercept why waste money on defensive weapon the best thing is to developing similar weapons.

So, you think other countries are fool who are investing a lot in missile defence system. :cheesy: I think you are referring to Pakistan, which has no missile defence system right now. :laugh:

When something like shelling missiles will happen, India won't only be shielding itself but also be launching a salvo of missiles. We have something to try to intercept the incomings. What do u have to save your ***??

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom