What's new

India, France ink metro rail pact

Well. We like to Live on The Edge. :drag:

Actually it should be " We like to Live off The Edge" considering our habit of travelling on the roofs of the trains... :lol:

Actually it should be " We like to Live off The Edge" considering our habit of travelling on the roofs of the trains... :lol:
Haven't traveled on the roof, but have traveled on the door with legs hanging outside. Awesome way to travel and I can smoke as it doesn't bother any one then. :enjoy:

Well well, i suppose eventually everyone would be happy. Have a look at this map
India_HSR_potential_route_1112.GIF

As usual nothing for the North East.

Bangalore Metro funding via GoI MoF - AFD tieup
ISRO - CNES tieup
Paris Inst. of Tech - IITs tieup
IISc - CNRS tieup
Eurocopter helicopter deal for Emergency services -- this is a first in India I guess :tup:

Good news all round. :yahoo:

Regarding the metro funding , does this mean entry for France's Alstom instead of BEML-Mitsubishi-Hyundai Rotem consortium for the coaches contract for Namma Metro ?

Haven't traveled on the roof, but have traveled on the door with legs hanging outside. Awesome way to travel and I can smoke as it doesn't bother any one then. :enjoy:

same here mate.:)

This project is based on the Passenger traffic between the cities. You should remember that a High speed rail link costs approximately 4-5 times a conventional electrified track and hence such a huge capital expenditure is justified only when there is assured return through revenue earning.
If you look at the proposed locations, the routes are already saturated beyond design capacities.
There is pure economic involved nothing else.

very true.the problem with north-east is the topography.we still cant match chinese for what they did in tibet.it is appreciable.

Good news...metro in all major cities of India would definitely solve a lot of traffic problems.

There is a massive white space in the middle, I guess they have decided based on commercial viability.

1. Doesn't it also show there is a massive white space which are areas with Maoist extremism and area of NE with rampant insurgency. Should development always means earning money...if you develop those areas...and these areas will eventually come to normalcy and can be a part of the mainstream. And once this is achieved...there would necessarily be monetary benefits too.
2. I have worked in Apollo Ludhiana..I could always have tickets in Shatabdi (Amritshar), Gharib rath, Shane Punjab etc...even if I tried 2-3 days before my journey. Who said there is no traffic... in the NE route.. Try the same with Rajdhani Guwahati, NE Express, Brahmapurta mail..all running from Delhi to Guwahati...trains are full almost 60 days before the schedule journey...same is with the 12 flights that fly to Guwahati daily.
3. And FYI....NE doesn't have a broad gague in most of its operation, most of it runs in single track...and astonishingly there is no electric lines there so far. If the British were able to lay down tracks all over the NE why cant we...If the world highest bridge can be constructed in J&K..why not in the NE...it's just the lack of political will...

@Jayanta this is only plans for 2020- there is plenty of scope to expand the network post-2020. And nations with HSR don't have 100% coverage anyway, for a project of this scope that is to cost 10s of billions there needs to be economic viability- you don't just set up a HSR on loss making routes were the demand isn't there. The map shows purely HSR devlopments not all other mainstream railway developments. IIRC it had been said that building a HSR line through the "chicken-neck" was almost impossible and going through BD isn't an option- so what can they do?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jayanta this is only plans for 2020- there is plenty of scope to expand the network post-2020. And nations with HSR don't have 100% coverage anyway, for a project of this scope that is to cost 10s of billions there needs to be economic viability- you don't just set up a HSR on loss making routes were the demand isn't there. The map shows purely HSR devlopments not all other mainstream railway developments. IIRC it had been said that building a HSR line through the "chicken-neck" was almost impossible and going through BD isn't an option- so what can they do?

Well that chicken neck is a huge concern mate..it is almost BD..if you have a head count ... but I think if there is a will there is always a way....

Last edited by a moderator:

Dude, You are talking about North East???

I live in Central Indian State of Madhya Pradesh, which hardly gets any preference when it comes to High-Value projects such as Industrial corridor, HSR, SEZ, Freight corridor, etc.

Even the no. of trains crossing through important cities here are very less.

LOOK at that MAP again, u'll find that apart from NE, the entire CENTRAL INDIA has been skipped.

Why??

B'coz we send only 29 MPs for the Parliament of the total 543, add to it, our bad luck is that when we send more Congress MPs, the Govt. at the center is that of BJP & when we send more BJP MPs, the Govt. at the center is that of Congress, that means we hardly have representation in the Cabinet of GOI.

We have started accepting that, India is a DEMOCRACY & obviously a Govt. can't satisfy each & every one in the pop. of 1.2 billion. Anyways, to be really practical here, NE, though very Important for India, represents only 2% of the Indian population, the Govt. has to think about 98% people also. Besides, opening a HSR for smaller number of people that too through difficult terrains of mountains, etc. hardly makes any Commercial Sense, right??

Having said that, i am not ruling out the possibility of such projects being carried out eventually in the NE (& also my state :)) in the near future, we just have to be a little PATIENT. As they say Rome was not Built in a Day.

Dude, You are talking about North East???

I live in Central Indian State of Madhya Pradesh, which hardly gets any preference when it comes to High-Value projects such as Industrial corridor, HSR, SEZ, Freight corridor, etc.

Even the no. of trains crossing through important cities here are very less.

LOOK at that MAP again, u'll find that apart from NE, the entire CENTRAL INDIA has been skipped.

Why??

B'coz we send only 29 MPs for the Parliament of the total 543, add to it, our bad luck is that when we send more Congress MPs, the Govt. at the center is that of BJP & when we send more BJP MPs, the Govt. at the center is that of Congress, that means we hardly have representation in the Cabinet of GOI.

We have started accepting that, India is a DEMOCRACY & obviously a Govt. can't satisfy each & every one in the pop. of 1.2 billion. Anyways, to be really practical here, NE, though very Important for India, represents only 2% of the Indian population, the Govt. has to think about 98% people also. Besides, opening a HSR for smaller number of people that too through difficult terrains of mountains, etc. hardly makes any Commercial Sense, right??

Having said that, i am not ruling out the possibility of such projects being carried out eventually in the NE (& also my state :)) in the near future, we just have to be a little PATIENT. As they say Rome was not Built in a Day.

I completely agree with you...the total number of representatives from the whole of NE is just 42...with 14 from Assam and rest from the other 6 states...which is substantially low and hence it doesn't find any importance as compared to states that have 40+ representatives...they can form and break governments. And just want to correct your statistics...NE doesn't comprise 2% of India's population rather it is 3.8% that too according to 2001 census so by now it should be at least 5%.
I have traveled around MP...from Bhopal to Jabalpur and Panchmarhi....yes I admit those areas are underdeveloped...but again as I mentioned before an even development around the nation should be the focus. I think this uneven development has been root cause of insurgency...because people aren't happy and feel neglected. Rome was not build in a day...but its been 60+ years of Independence....and it seems the NE is almost 20 years behind the ROI. I do not say its the fault of the center...but a huge failure of the state governments too.
The other thing that hurts me most...the way NE people are treated..I do not want to go off topic. But...I hope Government will focus on bringing normalcy in disturbed areas and the only way is development. Again sorry for going astray...

Back
Top Bottom