What's new

India, France ink metro rail pact

French Metro's tend to use the Rubber lined wheels.. which makes for a much more comfortable and less noisy ride.

Here is what Oscar is trying to explain.
FIAT_bogie1.png

the rubber pads between wheel set (wheels+axle) and bogie frame absorbs vertical vibrations leading to far smoother ride.
Arrangement

LHB_bogie.jpg

New LHB coaches being used in Shatabdi and Rajdhani expresses also make use of this technology leading to a very comfortable ride.
Some pics of LHB coaches being used in IR

7073612145_1ea882803c_b.jpg

SBC-Rajdhani-LHB-Rake.jpg

The ground is not flat. Isn't it a bit dangerous to construct a bridge here ?

Yes that is why the bridge is extending a long distance even after crossing the river. This portion is called viaduct and is a common feature of all bridges in hilly areas.

If you see the third picture there are two cable assisted cranes to pour concrete for formation of concrete girders on already laid pillars. Another technique used is by joing prefabricated concrete blocks to form a girder.
Construction in hilly areas is a very difficult and hazardous job primarily due to unstable soil and land slide problems but modern construction techniques have reduced the risk and time of construction significantly.

The Quazigund baramulla line when complete would argubly be the most outstanding achievement of Indian Civil Engineering, afeat unmatched.

Is french support to the project limited to financial help only or they are transferring some technology as well.
BTW france have legendary TGV system which till date holds the record (along with Japanese Bullet trains) of having no accident ever. I wish they help us in proposed high speed networks between cities like Mumbai-Ahemadabad, Chennai_Bangaluru etc.

tgv-maroc.jpg
I usually travel by the TGV from Nice to Paris via Cannes whenever I'm in France. Far more fun than flying. It's an amazing piece of engineering! Zipping at a mind numbing > 300kmh everything zooms by in a blur! And no rocking and rolling you find on Indian trains!

But when two TGVs pass each other in opposite directions with a relative speed of 600kmh you do feel a slight jolt for a second due to the tremendous wind shear! It's a little disconcerting if it's the first time you're traveling by the TGV!

All in all, it's a fantastic experience that you guys must not miss when you visit France!

And here's the TGV breaking the record at 570kmh....:woot:

Ooops! Embedding disabled! But click on the screen to see it on YouTube.

Will India ever get this technology?

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually travel by the TGV from Nice to Paris via Cannes whenever I'm in France. Far more fun than flying. It's an amazing piece of engineering! Zipping at a mind numbing > 300kmh everything zooms by in a blur! And no rocking and rolling you find on Indian trains!

But when two TGVs pass each other in opposite directions with a relative speed of 600kmh you do feel a slight jolt for a second due to the tremendous wind shear! It's a little disconcerting if it's the first time you're traveling by the TGV!

All in all, it's a fantastic experience that you guys must not miss when you visit France!

And here's the TGV breaking the record at 570kmh....:woot:

Ooops! Embedding disabled! But click on the screen to see it on YouTube.

Lucky You!

France actually invested very heavily in TGV technology after it found that it can be used as an effective way to commute between cities and subsequently other european countries like UK, Italy (pendelino trains), germany (ICE) etc followed the same path. I remember once during a seminar by some french companies in mumbai, a lady from Alsthom (the same company actually designed the 570 kph modified TGV set, whose video @ norboo has posted) that despite being one of the most complex train system TGV has never had any mechanical failure related issues and more importantly NO ACCIDENTS. Speaks volumes of French Engineering

Similarly France in late 1950s rested its faith in Nuclear reactors and today despite oil prices fluctuating badly, both France and Germany sit pretty owing to one of the most reliable nuclear reactors in their electrical grids.

When fanboys like us express our joy openly on deals like Rafale, EPR for jaitapur, it is not without reason.
A lot of mates have already posted this, but let me say again, LONG LIVE INDO FRENCH FREINDSHIP:toast_sign:

Last edited by a moderator:

HSR has been cleared by the GoI plans are for the first stretch to be complete by 2020. AFAIK France is one of the contenders in the fray to partner India in this epic project.

Gladly Indian Railways is creating a seperate entity-like DMRC with Delhi metro, to head this project.

When fanboys like us express our joy openly on deals like Rafale, EPR for jaitapur, it is not without reason.
A lot of mates have already posted this, but let me say again, LONG LIVE INDO FRENCH FREINDSHIP:toast_sign:

Israel,Russia,France and Japan have been good to India historically and are lining up to be even better for India in the future. The US has its place but they have their own agenda that will supersede everything else. Yes the aforementioned nations will have their own agendas too but not to the same extent as the US.

As our Pakistani trends have started saying- when you have trends like the US, who needs enemies!

Back
Top Bottom