What's new

India drops out of 2012 PISA test

Again with the IQ BS ,.
Well i gues the discussion has pretty much reached its logical end ill leave by posting this.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you are not zombies.

You are shining Indians, better than China in every field.

Who cares what PISA says, when the results clearly speak for themselves. India has clearly beaten us in everything, from education to development to sports to economy.

Thats what, we know we are behind China in many fields, so our students are more focussed on creating a good livelihood than previous generation.
We really dont care about PISA or other tests which will not improve our livelihood.

I can understand why they scored less. I am not sure what kind of students, from what kind of schools represented India.

For example, India turns out around..what...500,000 engineers every year? China around a double of that.

But out of the 500,000 engineers, atleast 50% are totally unemployable. Meaning they have backlogs, they dont know any concepts, they are just bad. They become engineers because they pay for their seats. Further there are engineering graduates who dont even attend 1 day of college. They pay money, and buy their certificates as if they completed their engineering. So there is lots of low quality graduates out there.

Now, as for school children, yes the State board education is crap. But I can guarantee that if the students are represented from an International school (to which most of my friends send their kids to), in cities like Delhi, Bombay, Bangalore, Chennai etc then those kids will be on par with the Chinese. And these are also the kids that you will find, move to the US etc.,

So a couple of lessons to learn here:

1. India needs to stop churning out low quality engineers and crack down on institutions that take money for degrees.
2. India needs to improve its education system, especially its public education system, spend more for public education and make school accessible to the rest of the 60% of India that is rural.
3. While representing the PISA tests, we should send students on par with the rest of the world. Sending below par students wont cut it.

This however has nothing to do with IQ. I have seen pretty big failures in school, be pretty successful in life. IQ tests are standardized tests and can be heavily manipulated by environmental factors such as education, nutrition and even the fact that you might be sitting in an uncomfortable chair while taking the test.

So its not that Indians have low IQ or whatever.

Anyway, I think India needs to continually participate in these tests. Get humiliated over and over again. Only then these guys will grow a brain and do something about it. Learn from China and other countries. Sitting out of competition because you are afraid of losing, is pretty stupid.

Indian students rank near the bottom on PISA, a global test of learning standards conducted in 74 nations this year. TIMSS, another standardized international test, produced similar results earlier in 2003.

PISA%2BIndia%2BBottom.jpg

The average Indian child taking part in PISA2009+ is 40 to 50 points behind the worst students in the economic superstars. Even the best performers in Tamil Nadu and Himachal Pradesh - the top 5 percent who India will need in science and technology to complete globally - were almost 100 points behind the average child in Singapore and 83 points behind the average Korean - and a staggering 250 points behind the best in the best.

The average child in HP & TN is right at the level of the worst OECD or American students (only 1.5 or 7.5 points ahead). Contrary to President Obama's oft-expressed concerns about American students ability to compete with their Indian counterparts, the average 15-year-old Indian placed in an American school would be among the weakest students in the classroom, says Lant Pritchett of Harvard University. Even the best TN/HP students are 24 points behind the average American 15 year old.

Haq's Musings: PISA & TIMSS Confirm Low Quality of Indian Education

Who cares ? All these test are Fancy , It has nothing to do with Reality. We are booming . All the Multinational Companies want Indians for their higher Posts. IIT , IIM Producing Business tycoons .Indian Student focus on their internal education , Exams like IIT,CAT they don't have much time for fancy tests.

WATCH IIT on BBC , INDIA IS WORLD BRAIN PROVIDER .

IIT is toughest Exam In word to get admission in institute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read what Roybot said and quoted. how can you expect students to perform on areas which they are not exposed off.

When I appeared for Central Board of Secondary Board of Education test, coming from Regional BSE, I performed bad. The items on which I was tested was nothing that I ever faced. But when given exposure to these fields of testing, I scored very well in CBSE exams at 10th and 12th standard.

The OP needs to understand the reality rather than taking shots.

Like I try to understand your POV and conditions in China, so should you guys. Instead of targeting, better ask us why they failed ?

I am not saying ask any Indian, you don't like many but you can ask me anytime.

Thanks a lot buddy for posting it. This information will clear many doubts.

Right blame it on the system instead of recognizing your own fault ! You should have stopped starring stary eyed at that Lady Invigilator throughout the exam....thurkiiii saaaleiii ! :P

These tests are Fancy , Indian Student have Highest demand in world As compare to any other nationals

We cant ignore it like that mate. Yes India produces some of the finest engineers, has some of the best institutes in the world etc., But as a group, we dont do so well. We need to take stock of reality, and work towards becoming better. I guess if this was conducted back in 1980, we wouldnt even be on the list. Considering we have made it to 74, I guess in future we will do much better. But for that, our govt needs to start improving the quality of education and make education more accessible.

Indian students rank near the bottom on PISA, a global test of learning standards conducted in 74 nations this year. TIMSS, another standardized international test, produced similar results earlier in 2003.

PISA%2BIndia%2BBottom.jpg

The average Indian child taking part in PISA2009+ is 40 to 50 points behind the worst students in the economic superstars. Even the best performers in Tamil Nadu and Himachal Pradesh - the top 5 percent who India will need in science and technology to complete globally - were almost 100 points behind the average child in Singapore and 83 points behind the average Korean - and a staggering 250 points behind the best in the best.

The average child in HP & TN is right at the level of the worst OECD or American students (only 1.5 or 7.5 points ahead). Contrary to President Obama's oft-expressed concerns about American students ability to compete with their Indian counterparts, the average 15-year-old Indian placed in an American school would be among the weakest students in the classroom, says Lant Pritchett of Harvard University. Even the best TN/HP students are 24 points behind the average American 15 year old.

Haq's Musings: PISA & TIMSS Confirm Low Quality of Indian Education

By your logic Pakistan Must be a country of Retarded Students , Whats ur Position ?....

We cant ignore it like that mate. Yes India produces some of the finest engineers, has some of the best institutes in the world etc., But as a group, we dont do so well. We need to take stock of reality, and work towards becoming better. I guess if this was conducted back in 1980, we wouldnt even be on the list. Considering we have made it to 74, I guess in future we will do much better. But for that, our govt needs to start improving the quality of education and make education more accessible.

that's true friend , Indians have highest demand in Multinationals , very high than Chinese , Americans. Many big entrepreneur are indian IN UK ,US.

And Who started this thread ? A PAKISTANI ! Whats position of PAKISTAN ?

I don't think PISA test alone will determine the IQ of the students. Chinese are spoon fed from the age of 2 years just like their training methods to get olympic medals.

How come a country like US which is producing most number of research papers and patents not doing well in PISA. These tests are for spoon fed people who do what they were taught with out thinking about the logic and intention behind it.

Again the chest thumping happening here and their logic level of their debate by Chinese posters tells lot about their real IQ .

Why is this so surprising? Maybe the Japanese fall behind because of English. You d need good command of English to be considered employable on the global scene.

And of course they must have made it up, anything which doesn't show China in good light is made up. :lol:

fo3yfs.png

A whopping 38% of Chinese Engineering Graduates lack technical skills:woot:

The above is going to cause serious mental agony to CCP zombie and their CC ilk!

I thought it was just India handing out degrees here.

On a serious note, i'm not surprised with PISA scores, i do volunteer service for local school in Chennai and we try teaching the kids English and Maths.

Many or majority of 3rd and 4th class students were unable to read basic words in English like "cat", "mat" etc . the stuff i as child learnt in LKG or UKG.

Currently quality of primary education doesn't seem to greater priority as Indian Govt is focusing on improving enrollment rate and reduce drop out rate.

Problems like teacher absenteeism etc don't seem to be given high priority affecting quality of primary education.

Why is this so surprising? Maybe the Japanese fall behind because of English. You d need good command of English to be considered employable on the global scene.

And of course they must have made it up, anything which doesn't show China in good light is made up. :lol:

fo3yfs.png

A whopping 38% of Chinese Engineering Graduates lack technical skills:woot:

this is surprising

i thought Chinese education system is superior than ours

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom